Losing the last few kilos - feel like giving up

Options
124»

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    klsn wrote: »
    I’ve found these posts to be a big help, thank you everyone, & I’ve done some research. If I was to recomp, do I still keep up the running? My scales say I have 25% body fat so would cardio get this number lower? How often should I do weights & how long a session? I always thought low weight with high reps was the way to avoiding bulking up, is this right?

others have already responded to this, and well, but here's my 2c anyway :)

1) don't trust the scales. it will be wrong in terms if BF%. Plus, some scales even have this little button at the back where you can set it to "Active" or "not active" and in ONE SINGLE BUTTON PRESS you can go from having 30% BF to 25% BF just like that. And some trainers actually use that to con their clients into thinking they have lost a whole bunch of BF and "packed on muscle". I know - a PT showed me and told me about it. Use them as a guide for BF% but it's not accurate. Better you just eyeball yourself and see what you feel you look good at.

2) Cardio is good for cardiovascular health, which is important in overall health, but it's not necessary at all to do if you start to lift properly. I very very rarely actively do any cardio now and I always surprise myself at how well I can keep up whenever I actually do decide to go to say a boxing class or something. I will be one of the "fittest" people in the class in terms of keeping up with the class and recovery after intense bursts of exercise - you know when you're like dying and lungs feel like they gonna explode - I recover super quick from that. And all I basically do is lift. However, I use a variety of techniques and strategies in my workouts, I don't just do the same thing again and again forever. And I don't use any of those Strong Lift or Strong Curves or whatever programs that everyone says to use on here. They are good, don't get me wrong, but not my cup of tea, I have learnt from bodybuilders and use a combination of old-skool infused with new ways of looking at things (eg, go look at @coacheugeneteo on Instagram - he's an effing LEGEND)

3) You won't bulk up - I've been on a mission to bulk up for over 3 years and i'm effing tiny. Seriously. Unless you take drugs you won't bulk up if you're a girl. When you see in person actual female competitors (not the massive ones on the roids, just the normal natural ones) they are actually teeny tiny. What happens is an illusion - if you strip away as much body fat as possible your muscles look huge, but in actual fact you are teeny tiny.

4) there is no need to spend hours at the gym. My workouts are between 45-60 minutes and I aim for 4 times per week these days, but have done 5x per week in the past too. Rest is important to help with muscle growth too. Preservation of volume is the key. Muscle activation, mind:muscle connectivity and an efficient workout will be effective. HOwever, in order to do all of that, it's best someone actually show you the ropes, it's hard to figure out alone without hands-on guidance from a coach. A good coach. That being said - if you work out 3-4 times per week for up to an hour on a structured program and consistently, you will get good results. Good form will ensure you have even better results though, so may be worth looking into getting someone to show you said form.

Good luck with it all :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @klsn I’m 53. I walk 12k every day without fail and have not missed in over 1000 days. I do Pilates 5x a week, and strength train 3x per week. I also run in the summer months when it’s warm and light in the morning.

My maintenance range is 125-135, so I’m at the top end right now (started at 220). I eat 2100 to maintain and 1800 when I need to drop weight. I was at 125 from Jan-July as was very happy with the way I looked and found it reasonable to maintain, but got a bit off course for a few months and popped back up.
  • klsn
    klsn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I’ve found these posts to be a big help, thank you everyone, & I’ve done some research. If I was to recomp, do I still keep up the running? My scales say I have 25% body fat so would cardio get this number lower? How often should I do weights & how long a session? I always thought low weight with high reps was the way to avoiding bulking up, is this right?

1) don't trust the scales. it will be wrong in terms if BF%. Plus, some scales even have this little button at the back where you can set it to "Active" or "not active" and in ONE SINGLE BUTTON PRESS you can go from having 30% BF to 25% BF just like that. And some trainers actually use that to con their clients into thinking they have lost a whole bunch of BF and "packed on muscle". I know - a PT showed me and told me about it. Use them as a guide for BF% but it's not accurate. Better you just eyeball yourself and see what you feel you look good at.

2) Cardio is good for cardiovascular health, which is important in overall health, but it's not necessary at all to do if you start to lift properly. I very very rarely actively do any cardio now and I always surprise myself at how well I can keep up whenever I actually do decide to go to say a boxing class or something. I will be one of the "fittest" people in the class in terms of keeping up with the class and recovery after intense bursts of exercise - you know when you're like dying and lungs feel like they gonna explode - I recover super quick from that. And all I basically do is lift. However, I use a variety of techniques and strategies in my workouts, I don't just do the same thing again and again forever. And I don't use any of those Strong Lift or Strong Curves or whatever programs that everyone says to use on here. They are good, don't get me wrong, but not my cup of tea, I have learnt from bodybuilders and use a combination of old-skool infused with new ways of looking at things (eg, go look at @coacheugeneteo on Instagram - he's an effing LEGEND)

3) You won't bulk up - I've been on a mission to bulk up for over 3 years and i'm effing tiny. Seriously. Unless you take drugs you won't bulk up if you're a girl. When you see in person actual female competitors (not the massive ones on the roids, just the normal natural ones) they are actually teeny tiny. What happens is an illusion - if you strip away as much body fat as possible your muscles look huge, but in actual fact you are teeny tiny.

4) there is no need to spend hours at the gym. My workouts are between 45-60 minutes and I aim for 4 times per week these days, but have done 5x per week in the past too. Rest is important to help with muscle growth too. Preservation of volume is the key. Muscle activation, mind:muscle connectivity and an efficient workout will be effective. HOwever, in order to do all of that, it's best someone actually show you the ropes, it's hard to figure out alone without hands-on guidance from a coach. A good coach. That being said - if you work out 3-4 times per week for up to an hour on a structured program and consistently, you will get good results. Good form will ensure you have even better results though, so may be worth looking into getting someone to show you said form.

Thanks so much for your reply - this was sooo helpful & you’ve addressed all of my concerns.

When I previously belonged to a gym I was taught the proper form for lifting, which I still remember. I’ll be doing this at home now though & I’m just not sure where to start. I have various equipment (barbells, dumbbells, medicine ball & resistance bands) so will have to some research online.

Thanks again for the informative advice, I really appreciate it 😊
  • klsn
    klsn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    @klsn I’m 53. I walk 12k every day without fail and have not missed in over 1000 days. I do Pilates 5x a week, and strength train 3x per week. I also run in the summer months when it’s warm and light in the morning.

My maintenance range is 125-135, so I’m at the top end right now (started at 220). I eat 2100 to maintain and 1800 when I need to drop weight. I was at 125 from Jan-July as was very happy with the way I looked and found it reasonable to maintain, but got a bit off course for a few months and popped back up.

Oh wow, you are amazing to be so active - I can’t believe you walk 12k every day & have done this for 1000 days, that’s incredible!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

Thanks so much for your reply - this was sooo helpful & you’ve addressed all of my concerns.

When I previously belonged to a gym I was taught the proper form for lifting, which I still remember. I’ll be doing this at home now though & I’m just not sure where to start. I have various equipment (barbells, dumbbells, medicine ball & resistance bands) so will have to some research online.

Thanks again for the informative advice, I really appreciate it 😊

Here's a thread with links to various programs that might help you:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Do some research on moves that can be replicated at home. For example, you can do lateral pull downs at home with resistance bands and a door anchor.