Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

Introvert or extrovert???

Options

Replies

• R3d_butt3rfly
    R3d_butt3rfly Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I'm a full blown Introvert and it's so annoying.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Completely introverted. I’m a homebody, I like small groups vs large crowds/parties and if I go out one weekend I need the next few (one or two weekends) to recharge. People often mistaken this for being shy but I’m truly more so selective and enjoy being on my own.
  • danavelling
    danavelling Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Introvert, in every sense of the word
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Feeling the introvert extra hard today. After a few weeks of posting very regularly on here, the skim-the-top 'conversations' and lighthearted banter, while fun, have me totally worn out. It's a solid reminder of why I never last long on message boards, heheh. INFJ all the way tho
  • badtraffic
    badtraffic Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Depends on my mood. I can either be the person in the middle of the room holding court, or the one nursing a drink in a corner by myself. Either way, if I've been around people too long I need time by myself to recharge
  • Crazygraciegirl_
    Crazygraciegirl_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Introvert through and through
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm very introverted. Its so bad that when I leave my house and go like, say to a dinner, I can go the whole meal and not tell you what my waiter looked like because I never looked up from my lap. I have a lot of tattoos and piercings and people stare at me and I can feel my face get flushed a lot. I dyed my hair pink for about 3 days and dyed it back to blonde because I couldn't stand that people were looking at me. I would rather chop my own boob off than introduce myself to a group of people. I'd rather be home alone, all the time.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    For the introverts...

is the anonymity of an online forum appealing?
    what draws you to be social here when you'd rather not be in your every day life?

I'm quite extrovert and i'm a stay at home mom so i'm attracted to online forums because i like talking to people and being around people. i will have conversations with random people on the street. i also keep a very broad social network.
  • Reckoner67
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    For the introverts...

what draws you to be social here when you'd rather not be in your every day life?

I'm quite extrovert and i'm a stay at home mom so i'm attracted to online forums because i like talking to people and being around people. i will have conversations with random people on the street. i also keep a very broad social network.

It's good for boundaries...real talk, addiction *is* a thing when it comes to internet and social media and that notwithstanding, part of the appeal for me is that I can simply take a break when I need one. I do that regularly with other social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter). It's not always easy or polite to tell people you want a break from them when you're hanging out, but taking a few days away from a forum or other social-media outlet rarely raises any eyebrows.

The anonymity is...somewhat appealing? But I'm good at being social when I need to be, it just wears me out, so my perspective is gonna be different than people who abhor social activities and things like that.

I love people, I love talking and listening and interacting with people--I just love it until I'm done, then I need my time :) Online forums make it easy to take that time.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    For the introverts...

It's good for boundaries...real talk, addiction *is* a thing when it comes to internet and social media and that notwithstanding, part of the appeal for me is that I can simply take a break when I need one. I do that regularly with other social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter). It's not always easy or polite to tell people you want a break from them when you're hanging out, but taking a few days away from a forum or other social-media outlet rarely raises any eyebrows.

The anonymity is...somewhat appealing? But I'm good at being social when I need to be, it just wears me out, so my perspective is gonna be different than people who abhor social activities and things like that.

I love people, I love talking and listening and interacting with people--I just love it until I'm done, then I need my time :) Online forums make it easy to take that time.

if you like interactions why do you feel you're an introvert? Because you need your downtime to regroup? you gain energy from being alone not from a group?
  • Reckoner67
    Options
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    For the introverts...

if you like interactions why do you feel you're an introvert? Because you need your downtime to regroup? you gain energy from being alone not from a group?

100% that. I view being social as a "skill", something that I've developed to help me get through life, but it's draining. The longer I'm in it, the more worn out I'm gonna get until Dr. Jekyll gives in to Mr. Hyde and I'm no longer much fun to be around.

It's different if I'm with people that I'm close to (I'd imagine it's that way with nearly anybody) but the thresholds just change. People that I'm close with, I can enjoy their company a lot longer (there's a reason I'm close with them) but even then, I'm going to need my time away eventually.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    For the introverts...

I'm definitely an introvert, and it's taken many years and personal pep talks to get me to actually interact with other humans outside my family. haha

Online forums are definitely appealing. Most of the people don't live anywhere near me. I will never meet them in person. I can say what I want and be myself. I don't feel like i have to censor myself for specific types of people, like I would IRL. I can just be me. Some people will like it and others won't. But it's ok. Because in my mind, it's just the internet. And really, why am I gonna get upset because someone said something mean on the internet? haha I wouldn't. IRL, however.... it would sting. And until someone REALLY gets to know me in person..... I tend to be a private, quiet, softie, who (according to my ex) is too emotional and "feels" too much.
    But on the online forums, I can be my WHOLE self.... as weird as that sounds....

On a different note, I don't have much of a social life IRL. The way my life is structured, it takes a LOT of effort just to do something outside work, errands, and home. So my social life is almost non-existent. MFP and the online forums, give me that social aspect that I currently lack.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I am an introverted extrovert. When I need to, I can turn it on. I am the life of the party with people I feel comfortable with. I can organize and put on fantastic parties. I have spoken in front of a crowd 1500. On the flip side, if I had my choice, I would just read a book in a quiet corner. I will also go to great lengths to avoid social situations unless I absolutely have to participate. It's complicated.

^^ this ^^
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    tinak33 wrote: »
    For the introverts...

I'm definitely an introvert, and it's taken many years and personal pep talks to get me to actually interact with other humans outside my family. haha

Online forums are definitely appealing. Most of the people don't live anywhere near me. I will never meet them in person. I can say what I want and be myself. I don't feel like i have to censor myself for specific types of people, like I would IRL. I can just be me. Some people will like it and others won't. But it's ok. Because in my mind, it's just the internet. And really, why am I gonna get upset because someone said something mean on the internet? haha I wouldn't. IRL, however.... it would sting. And until someone REALLY gets to know me in person..... I tend to be a private, quiet, softie, who (according to my ex) is too emotional and "feels" too much.
    But on the online forums, I can be my WHOLE self.... as weird as that sounds....

On a different note, I don't have much of a social life IRL. The way my life is structured, it takes a LOT of effort just to do something outside work, errands, and home. So my social life is almost non-existent. MFP and the online forums, give me that social aspect that I currently lack.

hmmm thanks that's really interesting
    i often wonder what draws people to a place like this and you helped me understand. :)
    i think you sound like a cool person feeling a lot is an ok trait. many accuse me of not feeling enough. i just tend to process feelings quickly and move on.

glad you found a place where you can be yourself and have some social activities
  • tinak33
    Options
    For the introverts...

i often wonder what draws people to a place like this and you helped me understand. :)
    i think you sound like a cool person feeling a lot is an ok trait. many accuse me of not feeling enough. i just tend to process feelings quickly and move on.

glad you found a place where you can be yourself and have some social activities

Thank you!

Yeah, it's nice to have a place you can be yourself. It's also nice to have a place where you can say things that you can't say to people who know you. You can confess your fears, your secrets, your loneliness, all the dark stuff, (as well as the not so dark stuff) to a bunch of random strangers because it's easier.
    Throwing that info out there is sometimes easier than telling someone who knows you. You don't always want someone to fix your life, or tell you what you are doing wrong, which is often the case with people who know you.... Sometimes all you want is a virtual hug and someone to listen and say "I understand" or "I am going through the same". With some many people, it's nice to think that in your depths of loneliness someone is feeling the same as you. You feel less alone. I have seen some of that here and I find comfort in that.

With introverts.... we have a tendency to hide a lot. To keep a lot of ourselves hidden. So having an online forum, we can unleash parts of ourselves that very few people see (or no one at all!). Its freeing and makes this more of a guilty pleasure sometimes.
    And we all love our guilty pleasures!! ;)
  • neskapolita1978
    neskapolita1978 Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    On those personality tests I always test as an extravert and it's true I can be extremely good at people situations, and being around people gives me energy even if I am not interacting with them. But at the same time I need that time to myself to recharge in a different way. The older I get the much more selective I am about which groups of people I will insert myself into. If it's not meaningful or interesting then I don't want to do it.
  • Reckoner67
    Options
    For the introverts...

Thank you!

Yeah, it's nice to have a place you can be yourself. It's also nice to have a place where you can say things that you can't say to people who know you. You can confess your fears, your secrets, your loneliness, all the dark stuff, (as well as the not so dark stuff) to a bunch of random strangers because it's easier.
    Throwing that info out there is sometimes easier than telling someone who knows you. You don't always want someone to fix your life, or tell you what you are doing wrong, which is often the case with people who know you.... Sometimes all you want is a virtual hug and someone to listen and say "I understand" or "I am going through the same". With some many people, it's nice to think that in your depths of loneliness someone is feeling the same as you. You feel less alone. I have seen some of that here and I find comfort in that.

With introverts.... we have a tendency to hide a lot. To keep a lot of ourselves hidden. So having an online forum, we can unleash parts of ourselves that very few people see (or no one at all!). Its freeing and makes this more of a guilty pleasure sometimes.
    And we all love our guilty pleasures!! ;)

Online is where I choose to unleash my inner kraken
  • tinak33
    Options
    Ironlady70 wrote: »
    100 % Myers Briggs tested (mulitple times ) Intorvert

Yup!

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

I tested as ISFJ...
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Strong perfence for introversion, but I can turn it on when I have to. If you met me, you would think I was an extrovert. But I need a break from people as they suck the energy from me.

my MB is INTP.