What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,657 Member
    edited July 24
    Lietchi wrote: »
    A 6km run today, steady-state and modest speed (8kph), trying (and 99% succeeded) to keep my heart rate below 140.
    Correction: 8.5kph.

And today's run: 5km at 8.8kph and still managing to stay just below 140bpm, followed by two speed increases the final km. 40 minutes total for 6km.
    Not bad considering my shoelaces came undone in the middle of my run and I had to do an emergency stop on the treadmill.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 1,019 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    Sorry, you lost me at "terrifyingly squeeze". I'm claustrophobic, I cannot imagine doing that for fun, not even sure I'd be able to in order to save my life. Maybe to save my wife or child's, but if it were squeeze or fight some wild animal, I'd turn and fight.

I am a bit of an idiot, so I find being underground relaxing. Even if, objectively, it should be scary.

I went climbing today. It was a bit of a mixed session, not too bad overall.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,497 Member
    Oh, let's see, I rowed: Big surprise, eh? It was another coached row. I was in bow of the double with my long-time rowing buddy J. (It's her 78th birthday today!) vghui9 We did a bunch of drills, and wrapped up with some 10 (strokes) hard, 10 easy intervals.

I still need to do my home physical therapy exercises.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,636 Member
    Upper Body

Incline Bench Press 4x10
    DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Row 4x10 (2 sets pronated, 2 sets supinated)
    Pulldown 3x10 (1 set each hands over, under, neutral-grip)
    Face Pull 3x10
    Machine Lat Raise 3x10
    DB Shrugs 3x10
    Cable Curl 3x10 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x10 (5-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15sec
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,714 Member
    MTS Chest press 3x12 (50lbs)
    MTS Row 3x12 (80lbs)
    MTS Shoulder press 3x12 (60lbs)
    Pectoral fly 3x12 (45lbs) + 1x12 (35lbs) which I accidentally started with
    Rear delt fly 3x12 (35lbs)
    MTS Triceps extension 2x12 (15lbs) single arm

Cut short because there's were done
  • Lietchi
    First some strength training today, still on my improvised plan.
    Two sets of each:
    Dead hangs
    Dip bar hangs (my own invented term, not sure if there is an official term)
    Hyperextensions
    DB bench press
    Cable rows
    DB biceps curls
    Side raises

And then a 3km run on the treadmill in 20min. Starting at 8.5kph and increasing 0.5kph each 0.75km.
  • AnnPT77
    Physical therapy again, with a little bit of arm bike and some upper body push strength exercises.

Then I noodled around a bit in my racing single after I got all the open rowing session participants launched (so some boat-carrying, too), but it was only about 4k of mostly easy pace rowing.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Seated leg press 2x12 (155bs), 1x12 (150lbs)
    Seated leg curl 1x12 (100lbs), 2x12 (95lbs)
    Leg extension 3x12 (70lbs)
    Hip adduction 3x12 (165lbs)
    Hip abduction 3x12 (155lbs)

Last vacay workout. Short because my sister was swimming and I only had 45 minutes.
  • AnnPT77
    edited July 26
    Rowed bow in the double with my friend J on a beautiful morning, about 7.5k. By distance, roughly 25% moderate steady state rowing, 50% short intervals (10 stroke hard/10 stroke easy), 25% moderate steady state rowing to cool down.

Still need to do some home physical therapy exercises.
  • Lietchi
    Yesterday's workout was a bit different: my aunt and her partner are visiting from Sweden, so we did a 14.65km walk around the seaside town Knokke. Starting out in the centre, walking along the seaside and then on the beach, through some dunes and wetlands and then through some woods and back into town.
    Ice-cream in a famous local ice-cream parlor in the afternoon and for dinner some (freshly caught) fried plaice on bread with a (non alcoholic) beer. You cannot outwalk those calories 😄

x0jhj00g95b8.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,864 Member
    Two days of rowing, but not the kind that @AnnPT77 does. No sliding seat. Heavier oars. Big rubber boat.

I was the support boat for a two-day survey and treat trip looking for a couple of specific invasive aquatic plants. These plants are on the "A-List" where our state thinks we can still eradicate them completely.

I can attest that rowing a gear boat on a low-gradient river without much current and a little bit of wind is a lot of work. At least there wasn't any more wind. I was in a canoe for our survey last Thursday, and if we had that much wind, I wouldn't have been able to eat when we got to camp or when we got off the river the second day.

It was a scenic section of river for the most part. Only about 15 or 16 miles total, but we had to keep stopping and walk the banks to look for garden yellow loosestrife. Some of the stuff we "walked" through was thick willow and reed canary grass. Our legs got cut up from the grass. At least I had knee boots to wear part of the time.

My boat is filthy. Today's workout will be unloading everything, cleaning out the box that has our poop in it, derigging the raft completely, and getting it clean. When it's dry, I'll apply some 303 and then put the frame back on and reinstall the dry boxes and cooler.
  • Lietchi
    Not much time today before dinner, so a 4.2km run: starting at 8.5kph and increasing speed 3 times in 0.5kph increments.
  • nossmf
    Yesterday (Saturday)

Lower Body

Squat 4x10
    Rack Pull 4x10
    Leg Press <<superset> Leg Press Calf Raise 4x10
    Seated Leg Curl 4x10
    Cable Crunch 4x10, 15, 20, 25

I dropped the leg press drop sets and added leg curls to even my quads/hams work.
  • AnnPT77
    Saturday, I did the kind of rowing @annpt77 does ;) . It was a coached row, with a different guest coach: Assistant coach of the women's varsity rowing team at the local NCAA Div 1 university. (Our usual morning coach is the coach of the same university's rowing club, a successful program itself.)

As usual for coached rows, we did mostly drills, but very different drills from the other coach. She was working with us on properly recruiting the right muscle groups at various points in the rowing stroke. We did a lot of drills that were part of the stroke only, like arms-only, arms-and-body-only, legs-only, etc. In between drills, there'd be some steady state rowing at various intensities.

I was in 2 seat of one of two quads that were being coached (along with one single). One thing we did was line up the boats, then have each individual rower row the quad by themselves, "racing" with the same seat in the other quad. This is strength-y, especially on the first few strokes, driving the boat from a standstill against the inertia, friction, weight of the boat, weight of all the other sitting-still rowers.

Lucky me, 3 seat in the other boat was a newer rower (advantage: me) who just graduated high school and who is training with the hope of being a walk on to the University of Michigan rowing team down the road an hour from here (advantage: her). I was in the heavier boat, in terms of both boat weight and size of rowers. :D:D:D Fun stuff!

Result: Pretty close, actually. I think she had me by a quite small interval, but I didn't have a good view across the alignment. I'd been worried, but it wasn't crazy bad despite the 50-year age gap. ;)
  • Lietchi
    edited July 28
    Today's exercise: a looooong run, 15km on the treadmill, 1hr47min.
    A speed of 8.4kph except the very last km, and my heart rate stayed below 140bpm for a surprisingly long time (1hr12min minutes).
    Dinner was super late because of my run, but I wanted to get my July 15km badge before the end of the month.

The most notable aspect of the run was how much Garmin underestimates my calorie burn, 784kcal instead of 1030kcal according to Exrx.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    edited July 29
    Incline press 1x12, 1x8 (50lbs), 1x12 (40lbs)
    Decline press 2x12, 1x9 (60lbs)
    Chest press 1x12, 1x10 (55lbs), 1x12 (50lbs)
    Shoulder press 1x12, 1x10 (60lbs), 1x12 (50bs)
    Pectoral fly 3x12 (50lbs)
    Triceps press 3x12 (95lbs)
    Lateral raise 1x10 (25lbs), 2x12 (20lbs) single arm
    Abdominal 3x12 (185lbs)

I am back home, went hard in the gym this morning. Increased weight on several lifts.

@nossmf this is my ab machine

pl38jiluld8x.jpg

The stack goes to like 345 so clearly doesnt correspond 1:1 to weight in lbs. As I've said previously, I only really care that I'm progressing.
  • nossmf
    Based on the image, you seat facing left...but the bar and hinge placement make me feel like the weight goes right, consistent with a lower back extension machine, which could definitely support those weights. Hmm...
  • nicsflyingcircus
    wmzjewwb9gmn.png

The motion of the machine is definitely a "crunch" and the seat can be unlocked to do them in an oblique position too.
  • AnnPT77
    Oh, yeah, of course: Around 7k rowing, bow of the double this time with my buddy J, working on technical stuff.

I was also trying to watch one of our new (this year learn-to-row) folks out in a single, who - as everyone does - struggles with steering a straight course. I was trying to see whether I could identify what the most important issue is for her. (It's almost always something that makes the port or starboard stroke a slightly longer distance in the water, even just a microsecond. The rower almost always thinks it's that their right or left arm is stronger, which it almost never - maybe never ever? - is.) It'll click eventually.
  • nossmf
    @nicsflyingcircus I see clearly now, thank you. From that picture, I completely agree with your description and assumptions, it just surprises me the weights being claimed to move on the weight stack (I no longer question your assertions, sorry for being a pain about this, I just wanted to understand better, and now I do, thank you.).