Is bread bad?

Options
A friend of mine told me I should not be eating bread. I make myself sandwiches quite often. I keep within my calorie intake. Opinions anyone?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    no, it's not.
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Nope, I stick with wholemeal and eat bread every day.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person, there are many opinions out there.

Do your own personal research on gluten and why people think this and you can then understand where they are coming from! I personally tried gluten free for a month or so and the result was cleared skin, less bloating, less headaches, better sleep, more energy... so it kind of speaks for itself in my personal case.

The reason gluten can have negative effects on many people is the type of protein that it is, to the best of my understanding. If you're up for trying things out, test your body and see what it is like going gluten free for 4 weeks. Maybe you'll see no differences... or maybe you'll feel amazing like you never have before!

Jess
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Only if it has mould on it

I eat wholemeal bread but I lost 100 with plain white bread in my diet. I'm just try to eat more complex carbs, hence the change.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    People have been eating bread for centuries without getting heavy. As long as IFIYM go ahead. But like everyone else has posted I would stick with the whole wheat/complex carbs just so you stay full longer.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    eat the bread
  • lima013
    lima013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bread is not bad moderation is the key!
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've tried to cut back on bread due to carbs. Aren't too many carbs bad?
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say yes to most in the fact that 1) most "healthy" breads have high GI levels, higher than we think/are led to believe, 2) are usually full of chemicals and unnecessary crud, 3) are a waste of calories and aren't very filling, and 4) the wheat crop has turned to GMO'd junk.

The exception would be home-made bread that you find at a bakery or specialty store. REAL bread is made with nutrient-rich ingredients and is heavy, filling, and relatively low in calories. Real bread is heavy and a bit smaller like our modern banana bread equivalent.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person, there are many opinions out there.

Do your own personal research on gluten and why people think this and you can then understand where they are coming from! I personally tried gluten free for a month or so and the result was cleared skin, less bloating, less headaches, better sleep, more energy... so it kind of speaks for itself in my personal case.

Same here. Cutting out bread (or reducing it quite significantly, had a hugely positive impact on my weight loss and other aspects of well being.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Nope.

But if you're concerned about pre-made sliced supermarket stuff, buy fresh loaves at the bakery or make your own. :)
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical reason not to eat bread (Diabetes, Insulin resistance, gluten allergies) it's fine to eat in moderation.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    People have been eating bread for centuries without getting heavy.

In terms of evolution a few centuries isn't actually a terribly long time. :huh:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co.uk/2008/07/grains-and-human-evolution.html
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Fun fact, it takes 400 generations (about 7000 years apparently?) of humans to adapt to a new diet, so I'm guessing we're still trying to catch up.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    People have been eating bread for centuries without getting heavy. As long as IFIYM go ahead. But like everyone else has posted I would stick with the whole wheat/complex carbs just so you stay full longer.
    Not the way we eat bread, and not with the ingredients we have in bread.
    OP: experiment a little and see if cutting back affects your weight loss.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    White bread is full of stuff to make it last longer on the shelves, so is not brilliant, nor is it good value nutritionally, the calories from a couple of slices of bread are better spent elsewhere in my opinion.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people here on a paleo diet, and I believe their theory is that grains are not easily digested and promote weight gain and other stuff.

I don't follow paleo, and would never consider giving up bread. Not in this lifetime anyways. With that said, I don't eat that much of it. I average eating some whole grains daily, but not always bread. When I eat bread, I try to make sure it was purchased from a bakery and fairly recently baked (less preservatives), and that it is more of a whole grain...more high in fiber.

And then sometimes I just want some white french bread with some wine, cheese, olives and marcona almonds. And then I have that. :happy:
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I love bread.

I'm baking bread today.

I keep it within my calories and it's not a big a deal. If your sandwiches are working for you, then you're set!