Is bread bad?

Replies

• I think it all depends what you like. I don't cut bread out, but I prefer to use my calories for extra veggies. Better fiber in veggies and I can eat more throughout the day.

My doctor did agree that wheat causes the same reaction in the body as opiate drugs such as heroin. Not to the same extent, but it has been proven. This is why most carbs make us feel so good. This was made to be big news in the book Wheat Belly. Having said that, coffee is a huge stimulant and I won't give that up.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Fun fact, it takes 400 generations (about 7000 years apparently?) of humans to adapt to a new diet, so I'm guessing we're still trying to catch up.

Na! We are already adapted. There are examples of loaves of bread in the British Museum that are 5000 years old and archaelogical evidence of grain grinding over 8000 years ago.

http://www.allaboutwheat.info/history.html

Wheat has been a staple part of the human diet for about 12000 years.

400 generations? Ha! Heavy evolutionary pressure can breed a trait into - or out of - a population's gene pool in just a generation or two.
  • Just to add my two cents. I eat bread all the time, but here is something to consider:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57505149/modern-wheat-a-perfect-chronic-poison-doctor-says/?tag=pop;stories

Personally, I have one rule for bread: If mold doesn't want it, neither do I. So if I buy bread and it lasts for weeks on the counter, I'm not buying it again.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Bread doesn't have an alignment. I looked it up in the Monster Manual.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I refuse to give up bread. I seem to be doing fine.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    bread is satan...ditch it...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    in all seriousness...as long as you stay in your calorie and macro goal ..bread is fine...some people do have bread sensitivities and in those cases eating bread may make them bloated and what not ..but the normal person can eat bread, eat in a deficit, and lose weight...
  • dryder7
    dryder7 Posts: 24
    Try to eat whole grain bread instead of white; my doctor advised - don't eat anything white - rice, bread or potatoes because the starch they contain turns to sugar inyour body.
  • jennorris1991
    jennorris1991 Posts: 61 Member

The exception would be home-made bread that you find at a bakery or specialty store.

... Or that you make at home... Where you know exactly what is in it! :wink:

I make bread and love it. Eat it quite often. As long as you log and can fit it in, and are not sensitive to gluten... have in :smile:
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    For me - ABSOLUTELY. I have no allergies or intolerances. I just have no will power to put down the baguette and walk away. Sourdough Boule with butter - delightful, I just can't stop at one portion. French bread with cheese and apples - yum. Ciabatta bread smeared with roasted garlic - to die for.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Bread doesn't have an alignment. I looked it up in the Monster Manual.

Good to know.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    *catching up on this thread while eating an egg sandwich on a whole wheat english muffin.*

Nom nom nom
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Gahhhhh!

There is no evidence that eating grains is bad for you.

There is no evidence that eating bread is bad for you.

There is no evidence that 'chemical's in food are causing any problems at all.

And I am bloody sick of reading otherwise!
  • It sure the heck is for me. With type II diabetes running heavily in my family history, carbs like bread cause my blood sugar to go whacko, and me to gain weight. It also makes me feel sick. I eat gluten-free bread, as a treat. Otherwise, try wrapping your cheese and meat between two big romaine lettuce leaves. It's really good and saves you the calories from bread, as well as the carbs and possible negative effects on your health. Since switching to a dietary goal of 147 carbs per day (around 30% of my calories coming from carbs) I have lost weight more easily. It's an interesting topic to research, to say the least. Good luck!
  • Wow, you must be kidding, right? I really don't feel like submitting a gazillion links from DOCTORS webpages to prove otherwise, but for some people, you are absolutely wrong. How could you even say this, anyway? Everybody's health level and dietary needs are different. Stop being irritated and start embracing diversity.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    I think it really depends on the person, there are many opinions out there.

Do your own personal research on gluten and why people think this and you can then understand where they are coming from! I personally tried gluten free for a month or so and the result was cleared skin, less bloating, less headaches, better sleep, more energy... so it kind of speaks for itself in my personal case.

The reason gluten can have negative effects on many people is the type of protein that it is, to the best of my understanding. If you're up for trying things out, test your body and see what it is like going gluten free for 4 weeks. Maybe you'll see no differences... or maybe you'll feel amazing like you never have before!

Jess

According to Everyday Health and other health websites, doctors don't recommend doing a gluten-free diet unless you're legitimately sensitive to gluten. Just thought I'd mention it. Also, by "low-carb dieting" (really just cutting out processed foods) I had basically the same results as you did (really just limited my processed food intake, but I was still eating bread). I still got acne at my TOM, and I actually had less energy, but I experienced the other bonuses you mentioned, and got rid of heartburn as well.

As for your question, OP, when I was growing up, the food pyramid recommended 5-6 servings a day of bread/cereal/pasta. These days, they do a plate instead of a pyramid, and they say "grains" should make up about 1/4 of your plate. Just like anything else, there's nothing wrong with it as long as you eat it in healthy amounts and aren't allergic/sensitive to it. Like you, I make sandwiches quite often; I'm guilty of eating bread 2-3 meals a day, which I would consider a little excessive (especially if I were eating white bread because, from what I've read, it really doesn't have much nutritional value). I think as long as you're balancing it out with all of the other stuff you're supposed to eat - protein, veggies/fruit, and dairy - then it's probably not as big a deal. So, next time you make a sandwich, be sure to put a lot of good stuff between the bread!
  • juggie49
    juggie49 Posts: 7 Member
    I don't disagree that some individuals benefit from cutting out bread. But I do get tired of the carb police. Have the bread in moderation. No diet is sustainable long term if you cut out everything you enjoy.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    I don't disagree that some individuals benefit from cutting out bread. But I do get tired of the carb police. Have the bread in moderation. No diet is sustainable long term if you cut out everything you enjoy.

^ This.

OP: If having a sandwich every day is working for you, then keep at it. Congrats on your 18 lbs!
  • jayce54321
    jayce54321 Posts: 110 Member
    There is an Italian resturant in my home town that makes its own garlic bread and serves it literally sitting in a pool of garlic butter. I'd say to cut out that type of bread but otherwise, everything in moderaion.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Especially if you're one of the many people who enjoy it AND are not negatively affected by it.

I also found it funny that "gmo" was brought up as a scare tactic but then was followed by the suggestion of making your own bread, as if the flour you use would be the different ingredient.