Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Employer Partnering With Spanx

Charlene____
Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
edited November 2018 in Debate Club
Do you think an employer who promotes (not requires) the wearing of Spanx under a work uniform is participating in body shaming? I will not disclose my industry or employer though I will mention I am not in the modeling line of work.

Replies

• frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    If I got a discount on said Spanx, I would love the partnership ;) Seriously, though, it depends on how it is worded. I know that some airlines encourage Spanx for their flight attendants but do not require Spanx. I don't think it is body shaming if it isn't worded in a condescending manner and not required.

I personally think that Spanx help me have a "neater" appearance with certain clothing, and I look at spandex undergarments no differently (for myself) than ironing/pressing my clothing. I am not obese but I like the look and feel (again, personally for myself) of keeping my backside up where I think it belongs on myself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    Is there some sort of disclosure or agreement in place at the time of hire that you have to present some sort of "smooth" image?

Seems sketchy to me unless it's part of a dress code.
  • Charlene____
    Sorry for my delayed reply, I was gathering info:

1) Male employees were not part of this partnership. It was only offered to female employees and those who identify as being female.
    2) I am not bound to a certain weight or size for my position; and there are many who are tiny and many who are large.
    3) My employer requires the use of undergarments but specifically does not say what is acceptable and what is not. I for example wear a slightly padded low impact Under Armour Sports Bra most days instead of a traditional styled “regular bra”.

I ask because sometimes it’s nice to have a perspective from others outside of my workplace who may view it differently.

Thank you for your replies.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Define promotes. It's hard to answer without knowing what you mean by promotes.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Do you think an employer who promotes (not requires) the wearing of Spanx under a work uniform is participating in body shaming? I will not disclose my industry or employer though I will mention I am not in the modeling line of work.

Are they providing it as part of the uniform? Do you work for Spanx or a place that sells Spanx?
    I don't know if it is body shaming. It seems like it is crossing a line for most work places.

The job I worked at that required a uniform had the same uniform for men and women. The uniforms were provided by the employer and fit varied. If they had suggested to anyone that they wear particular undergarments of a particular brand I would have found that intrusive/icky.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Well, big difference in promoting vs. making mandatory work attire (promoting still has awkward written all over it).

I don't even want to know...things you don't talk about during work: political views, religious views, sex, personal finance/worth/$$$, and power
  • Charlene____
    My company has no business relationship with Spanx; I do not work for Spanx or any clothing retailer but I do work in a customer facing position. The company has said that Spanx was a way to promote confidence in our uniform.

I once wore some sort of torture hosiery once before and it was an awful experience. I wear normal control-top pantyhose which is acceptable (all women must wear hosiery that matches their skin tone). I just personally felt that the promotion of Spanx which markets its brand on flattening the tummy and lifting the butt to be a little in the gray area.
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    I once had a triple inguinal hernia (lower abdomen). Surgery was scheduled but was a few weeks out so the doc suggested I consider Spanx (or similar) for support until then. I do recall there were various levels of "support." I do also recall that Spanx should be spelled as $panx. BTW - it worked well for this application.

Doesn't Spanx have some minimal support level that will allow you to follow the rules but not "push things where they don't belong?"
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    That seems like an exceptionally slippery slope... exacerbated by what can be seen as financially and pragmatically reasonable vs what is socially responsible.