Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Employer Partnering With Spanx

Options

Replies

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    It's really impossible for me to draw any conclusion without knowing what you do for a living but I also understand why you wouldn't want to disclose that type of info online.
    I know some show girls and they are required to wear undergarments and are permitted to wear Spanx or shapewear if they wish as it's considered an undergarment.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Ed_Zilla wrote: »
    I once had a triple inguinal hernia (lower abdomen). Surgery was scheduled but was a few weeks out so the doc suggested I consider Spanx (or similar) for support until then. I do recall there were various levels of "support." I do also recall that Spanx should be spelled as $panx. BTW - it worked well for this application.

Doesn't Spanx have some minimal support level that will allow you to follow the rules but not "push things where they don't belong?"

I wear the Assets brand by Spanx that's sold in Target. Works just as well and I'm spending less than $20 for a pair.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    My company has no business relationship with Spanx; I do not work for Spanx or any clothing retailer but I do work in a customer facing position. The company has said that Spanx was a way to promote confidence in our uniform.

I once wore some sort of torture hosiery once before and it was an awful experience. I wear normal control-top pantyhose which is acceptable (all women must wear hosiery that matches their skin tone). I just personally felt that the promotion of Spanx which markets its brand on flattening the tummy and lifting the butt to be a little in the gray area.

I agree on the Spanx and since it involves females and not males as well. It is not right sounding.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    For me, as a middle aged white guy, I don't have a problem with it as long as...

(1) it's not a requirement

-- or --

(2) if it is a requirement (not spanx specifically, but a certain type of appearance), that that requirement is made known very clearly at the time of interview/hire --AND-- that there are equal opportunities for people who choose to not follow that requirement.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Is this the only discount offered? Spanx may have done some effective marketing and be approaching businesses. As long as you and your heavier colleagues are treated equally in saying no thanks without pressure I'd ignore it.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I feel like they would make flight attendants do this. It depends on what they require I guess. Is It to help preventt varicose veins or help posture? Or is it purely to look better?
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine if it is part of a specific uniform because that is what a uniform is- an expected manner of appearing in a work place. Lucky for me, my employer has no such requirement because i could never force myself to wear spanx...it is hit or miss if i even wear a bra to work.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    CatchMom13 wrote: »
    smolmaus wrote: »
    The company has said that Spanx was a way to promote confidence in our uniform.

Hmmmm, no. Spanx are marketed as making you look thinner, that's where you're supposed to get your "confidence" boost from (blegh). Why do you need to look thinner for your job? For customers? Are you being used as decoration as well as functional employees?

For me it falls under the same scope as making women wear heels to work. They lengthen the legs, supposedly make you look slimmer and are generally seen as "sexier" than flats. They're also uncomfortable and can be expensive. And women have no obligation to look sexy as part of their job unless that is actually explicitly their job. There have been court cases where making women wear heels is ruled discriminatory.

I have to disagree. I don't think Spanx are marketed to make you look thinner - Sarah Blake doesn't need that. They're marketed to give you cleaner lines in clothing that isn't always forgiving (dress slacks, linens, etc.) Spanx have nothing to do with looking sexy. It simply about cleaner lines. There's also no requirement per the OP.

Yeah, I have a pair that I wear on special occasions. It has nothing to do with looking slimmer, I just want my closer fitting dresses to have a smooth line. I think they have a variety of strengths though.

I have a sister who weighs about 100 pounds soaking wet and I think she wore Spanx under her wedding dress this summer. She just wanted to ensure she looked put together for the pictures.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it is body shaming - but i think it is crossing the line of what is acceptable.
    and would border on discrimination unless in a very specific workplace where people's appearance needs to be very specific - ie not just generally neat and well groomed, with or without an actual (outer) uniform.

Cannot imagine my employer specifying underwear requirements - I have worked in places with uniforms and places with just dress codes.
    Admittedly jobs where my function is more important than my appearance - although basic neatness and appropriateness of clothing is required in almost every job with any public face at all.
    This would not include Spanx.