Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Employer Partnering With Spanx

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    There's not enough information for me to give an opinion on the OP.

The only time in my life that I've ever worn a Spanx-like garment was under a body-con dress because I didn't want bra and panty lines to show. I bought a full slip to do this, and it worked perfectly. It was quite comfortable and didn't roll.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    One would wonder what they would do to verify compliance? A skivvy check?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Is it just the women who get a deal on spanx?

https://www.spanx.com/men
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    OP said it was optional, not required. So if you don't want to wear it, don't. It seems like an inappropriate suggestion and I would probably not be working in such a job.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I count Spanx as a kind of undergarment, which is between you and your skin. My instinct is that this is crossing some kind of line for an employer.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this is one of those things where if you've not been counseled on your appearance it's not a problem for you (the OP) personally. But others may be on the edge when it comes to the image the company wants to present, so an option has been presented.

But they have to transmit it to all to CYA per HR.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    skram01 wrote: »
    I wonder if this is one of those things where if you've not been counseled on your appearance it's not a problem for you (the OP) personally. But others may be on the edge when it comes to the image the company wants to present, so an option has been presented.

But they have to transmit it to all to CYA per HR.

Even if this is the case, if they aren't saying the same to the male employees, they are potentially facing a gender based discrimination lawsuit.

As long as it stays optional, as the OP has described, I don't think there would be grounds for a lawsuit.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I dont think anyone is arguing against dress code standards in general - I am fine with appropriate clothing requirements, or uniform - gender neutral options ( ie NOT women must wear skirts or high heels) well groomed in hair and general presentation.
    Even though the functions of the job dont generally require that - l accept a professional or neatly presented image is still relevant.

Requiring Spanx in all but a very very few very specific jobs would be crossing the line to me - both in how far an employer can make demands on employees and in gender discrimination

Which jobs do you feel Spanx being required would be acceptable to you? I’m curious if my line of work will be one of them.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    I guess jobs that are solely about ones appearance - modelling and suchlike.