Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    lkpducky wrote: »
    The only time it bothers me if someone is on a nearby treadmill (and this doesn't have to be the one next to me) is if someone's footsteps are loud and also a different cadence from mine. Yesterday the combined cadence sounds (hers and mine) made me dizzy so I went to another treadmill in another block of treadmills. Problem solved.

TBH, I'm probably the person you had to get away from - my feet slap down pretty heavy and I know I make a lot of noise. Frankly, I just had to get over being self-conscious about it - I run how I run. I've seen other posts where people complain about people running too loudly on the treadmill and when I just started I thought I was being rude (even stopped running a couple of times when someone next to me was running faster so I wouldn't disturb them), but I've realized that there's no actual protocol for how loud you're allowed to be on the treadmill :)
    Don't get me wrong, I know heavy footfalls aren't something that are easy to control, not faulting anyone for that. You've got to run with the right form and cadence for you. I just had to move, though.

Yeah, I do get that people can be distracting even when they're just carrying on as usual :)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    So, I've been thinking about this question. I'm an introvert by nature but I will also probably pick the machine next to the only person in the room rather than the opposite side of the room. At the very least, I'd chose one near to the only person in the room. I'm not sure why actually. Maybe there's still a pack mentality deep down in my psyche... I dunno.

I think a lot of people do have that mentality. I'm kind of the opposite, but I've noticed some people just seem to like being close to other people, even strangers. Even in odd situations. Like, there are five stalls in the ladies room at my office. I have observed there is about a 90% chance that the person who comes in after me will pick a stall right next to mine. This happens consistently, regardless of which stall I choose. I don't know if it's a safety in numbers instinct or what.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Treat the treadmills like frikken urinals people....

Seems to bear repeating at this point.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

And for those of us not up on our urinal etiquette? Pretty sure you're not supposed to stare... :tongue:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

And for those of us not up on our urinal etiquette? Pretty sure you're not supposed to stare... :tongue:

If I jump in here, @tacklewasher's gonna call me a guy somehow, right? :laugh:
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So, I've been thinking about this question. I'm an introvert by nature but I will also probably pick the machine next to the only person in the room rather than the opposite side of the room. At the very least, I'd chose one near to the only person in the room. I'm not sure why actually. Maybe there's still a pack mentality deep down in my psyche... I dunno.

I think a lot of people do have that mentality. I'm kind of the opposite, but I've noticed some people just seem to like being close to other people, even strangers. Even in odd situations. Like, there are five stalls in the ladies room at my office. I have observed there is about a 90% chance that the person who comes in after me will pick a stall right next to mine. This happens consistently, regardless of which stall I choose. I don't know if it's a safety in numbers instinct or what.

That's kind of what I was thinking, a subconscious "safety in numbers" thing. What there is to be afraid of in a public place like a gym? I dunno, but yeah. It's kind of like that.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am not at the gym for a social experience, and I'm going out of my way to establish NO EYE CONTACT so that no one mistakes my presence as wanting more than what I'm obviously doing.

I don't want to talk; I want to do my workout and go home, tyvm.

I DO look at the bodies of the people who work out at my gym. Pretty much I focus on what the arms and legs are doing.

I'm watching form (or lack of), effort, consistency, and if they use the provided wipes when done with the equipment.

I am NOT doing a long penetrating kind of staring thing, not at all, it's a casual looking around that is meant to convey nothing but casual interest if someone sees me doing it.

It's motivating to see fit bodies - it's my eyeball candy, if you will!

I will sometimes take a brief glance at an adjacent cardio-equip user's info panel because I'm curious about the pace they are working at.

Perhaps the OP and others similarly affected by nearby users could benefit with headsets and an audio book to keep their attention close at hand and less distracted by others.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Well, I'm pretty sure every girl out there at some point has either said "um, do you have toilet paper" or "damn it, do you have a tampon" to the next stall. Maybe it affects our future behavior.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Totally uncool.
    I work out a home but when I travel for work I use hotel gyms. I always take the wall machine. Sometimes someone breaks urinal code and gets the one next to me. I’m sure they quickly regret it with my huffing, puffing and noises trying to get through intervals :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

https://brocode.org/a-quick-guide-to-urinal-etiquette/
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    @quiksylver296

If I jump in here, @tacklewasher's gonna call me a guy somehow, right? :laugh:

Why do I get the feeling you know all about urinal etiquette?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe the person feels more motivated to have someone next to them working hard. I wouldn't do that, but I also realize there are no rules or "etiquette" about such things. Anyone is free to take any open equipment. Keep working!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    So..

You are at the gym, there are 50 empty treadmills.
    You jump on the one about halfway through. Another person walks over and gets on the one next to you, ignoring the 48 other empty choices.

Annoying? Or am I too much of an introvert?

To answer the original question, I find this EXTREMELY annoying. So much so that it can ruin my day. I also realize that this is really my own issue, and I most likely have some kind of social anxiety or something.
    I also think (for me) that it's related to insecurity. I'm pretty out of shape right now (compared to my previous fitness level), and I'm embarrassed by the thought of someone being that close to me while I'm gallumphing along and sucking wind at a 5.1 mph pace.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

In my office there are often stopped up stalls ready to dibble over with one more use, forcing people to find one that works, even if it's next to an occupied stall.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

In my office there are often stopped up stalls ready to dibble over with one more use, forcing people to find one that works, even if it's next to an occupied stall.

My office building is brand new with automatic toilets and a cleaning crew that comes through twice a day.
  • ejg1010
    ejg1010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like my personal space so if it happens to me I feel annoyed for a fleeting moment and then just laugh at myself for how ridiculous I’m being, it’s no big deal I don’t suppose but I invariably think it!
    My husband and I often comment on how humans very often seem to be pack animals. It’s quite amusing behaviour to watch. Like if you’re in an almost empty car park and someone parks right next to you. Or if you’re on an almost empty train platform someone will come and stand right next you, it’s almost guaranteed!
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about something:
    How do the "want to work out without neighbors" group handle the situation when all the machines are occupied except one?
    Do you wait until there are a bunch of empties before working out?
    Or do you grit your teeth and suffer?

I'm really intrigued by this pack vs not-pack mentality that is being brought out by this thread!

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    How do the "want to work out without neighbors" group handle the situation when all the machines are occupied except one?

I'm really intrigued by this pack vs not-pack mentality that is being brought out by this thread!

Personally, I do prefer a bit of personal space but don't mind if someone is on a machine next to me (as long as they aren't on their cell phone the entire time!) so if all the machines were full except one I'd quickly grab the free one because my workout takes priority over perceived gym etiquette.

Although those with social and anxiety issues may answer differently and I understand their stance.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great discussion!!!!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »

I hate having people near me when I run, but in a full gym, I have no choice. I just suck it up and deal.