Toning up

Options
124»

Replies

• Beccalouise09
    Beccalouise09 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Okay, ignore all the rubbishy negativity from me that has been going on throughout the whole entire Toning Up message board, for I have finally been able to come up with a solution.

So, to clear the air...

I mainly use just the pair of 5kg York dumbbells of mine. I have 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5 and 8kg but I still want to order a pair of 6 and 7kg from Amazon UK at some stage. The others that are lighter than 5kg has gotten too easy since two years back, the 5kg is the one where it keeps going from easy to struggling and back to easy again, only yesterday 5KG begun to feel lighter to use.

The list is getting better :) Take a look, this is just a rough idea but I am planning to stick by it as I tried it out yesterday and I personally feel like it will work for me:

Workout A for Mondays and Fridays.
    1 Squats 3 sets 8-10 reps 2 minutes
    2 Bench Press 3 sets 8-10 reps 2 minutes
    3 One-arm Dumbbell Rows 3 sets 8-10 minutes 2 minutes
    4 Lying Tricep Extensions 1 set 10-15 reps
    5 Calf Raises 2 sets 8-12 reps 1 minute
    6 Flat Dumbbell flys- 3 sets 8-10 reps 2 minutes

Workout B for Wednesdays
    1 Deadlifts 3 sets 6-8 reps 2 minutes
    2 Dumbbell rows 3 sets 8-10 reps 2 minutes
    3 Shoulder Press 3 sets 8-10 reps 2 minutes
    4 Dumbbell Curls 1 set 10-15 minutes
    5 Abs 2 sets 15-25 reps 10 minutes
    6 Dumbbell Pullover 8-10 reps 2 mins
  • Beccalouise09
    Beccalouise09 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    starlady09 wrote: »
    One thing you might find is.... that's it? That is all I am doing? You will be surprised, and realize you don't need to do every exercise to get results, in fact it's best not to do every exercise... you will focus on those ones, give them your attention, your body will respond, and recover and progress.

True, I was thinking that maybe my routine does need to get cut down a little in sense of how I've wrote it up, so I am pleased I landed on that one instead as a template. It gives me a real good push start to get a move on with things, I cannot sleep until I solved issues out thats bugging me, so... the sooner I get this puzzled out, the better for all of us. :smile: B)

but i am still unsure of what to replace pull ups with for set B and what to replace Tricep Pushdowns with.

Oh I thought you were doing pullups as you listed them on your Wed? Ok well if you don't have a pull-up bar you can do another back exercise:
    Something like a vertical pull exercise:
    -lat-pulldowns

Or a horizontal pull
    -rows... one arm dumbbell rows, cable rows, banded rows, inverted rows etc.

Tricep pushdowns you can do another tricep focused exercise, tricep extension, dips, dumbell pullovers, close-grip pushups, etc

Cannot do lat pulldowns, I dont have the equipment for doing that, but as for pullups, I use the top bed rail of my headframe of my bed to pull myself up and down. I get the same areas targeted doing the pullup that way.

So instead I could do bent over dumbbell rows? :smile: I was also thinking of adding into set B dumbbell pullovers too.

as for set A, in rows, I thought maybe one-arm dumbbell rows and for Tricep pushdowns I could replace that with Lying Tricep Extension.

Calf raises I am quite all right with ^_^ I manage up to 30 before it starts to burn so, all is good there. Hmm, I cannot help but think of adding to Set A Dumbbell flys... Think that might work? :smiley:

Sounds good. Adding some flys to bench press day especially if you really enjoy them.. go for it.

I added the Dumbbell Flys to Set A where I've got the bench press on the list. Thank you for the tip. Sorry I never got back to you sooner.
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    letsgain01 wrote: »
    To gain weight you need to eat more calories than you burn.

Have you set up a food diary here?

A lot of people on SparkPeople site said this and it is very true, for I have a lot of trouble adding extra calories to my dinner or breakfast without adding too many carbs... I have yet to make up my food entries, but I am soon to get round to doing so, I just had to make up my profile as I only began on here today. ^_^

What's wrong with carbs?

And to answer your more calories question, the answer is always peanut butter

I'm to be having peanut butter on my toast in the morning and I've heard they aren't very good if wanting to maintain a certain weight, for many years I have been wanting to keep to a certain weight but now, I just want to stay petite and slim yet tone up as much as I can.

Which lifting program are you following?

I dont follow any, only my own. sorry but I prefer it that way as I am autistic and don't like things being different, so I stick to a certain routine so it fits around my everyday routine I already have.

Then, unless you are very experienced, there is a risk that you might not be providing your body adequate and well balanced stimuli which can unfortunately lead to less than optimal or very poor muscle gain.

Please understand I am autistic and I like routine :'( I, I'm sorry if I annoyed you

On the one hand, you're autistic and don't want to change your routine.

On the other hand, you're autistic and you have already changed your routine to include working out. Would looking at it that way make it any easier to *consider * changing how you work out?

Thank you so much for understanding where I am coming from in regards to my mental health, I am pleased to see people understand autism so well on here. But indeed, it is true that of what you have said about to do with Autism, for I had difficulty at first to accept the facts that I had to alter around a few things in relation to my routine. I had a right hell of a time two evenings ago in trying to make it work for me, so I looked up a few things from the links people have been giving me and came up with a solution.

Oh also I use bodbot to generate my workouts so I don't have to think about what to do because same. I just put in my goals and when I could work out and how much time I was willing to put in each week, it did the rest. I love it. There's even rest timers. It's kind of perfect for me, as someone who hates making decisions with a passion.
  • sniper300_Rum
    sniper300_Rum Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Whats a good pre-workout for best energy and great pumps
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

PEScience and Legion are good and dosed correctly.
  • sniper300_Rum
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Currently trying mesomorph
  • psuLemon
    Options

Somatotypes aren't a thing.
  • sniper300_Rum
    Options

Huh
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

It's also the name of a prework out
  • sniper300_Rum
    Options

Ohhh
  • psuLemon
    Options

Ohhh

Yea i didn't know that.

I wouldn't buy the brand because it doesn't tell you dosing. It has a bunch of ingredients combined.
  • sniper300_Rum
    Options

Ohhh

Yea i didn't know that.

I wouldn't buy the brand because it doesn't tell you dosing. It has a bunch of ingredients combined.

Wow
  • psuLemon
    Options

Ohhh

Yea i didn't know that.

Wow

There are actually very few preworkouts that adequately dose L-Citruline and Beta-Alanine.