Toning up

Options
I really much would like some advice as I am doing rather well so far with the exercise routine I have so far, however, I am having trouble knowing what protein powders or shakes to use for gaining muscle and toning. It is so irritating, and someone from SparkPeople site recommended this site to me, so I thought to check it out.

I have been using Maximuscle protein shakes for years for the exercise programs. they've worked a treat but what other ones could I use as an alternative? I ask as I believe I could do better B)

At the moment, I am currently stuck on 7 stone 2lbs, I struggle to get higher than 7 stone 1lbs. Ever since my holes in my heart healed completely when I was eighteen, I have noticed I have been able to do more than before, I lacked in being active and it annoys me how other girls who are friends of mine had shown they are better than me. It annoys me how I am playing a game of Miss-catchup due to not being as strong as other girls my age, plus, I had someone say ''the reason why you are not as strong as other girls rebecca is because you were vegetarian''. :s:neutral:

Replies

• Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    To gain weight you need to eat more calories than you burn.

Have you set up a food diary here?

• Beccalouise09
    Beccalouise09 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

A lot of people on SparkPeople site said this and it is very true, for I have a lot of trouble adding extra calories to my dinner or breakfast without adding too many carbs... I have yet to make up my food entries, but I am soon to get round to doing so, I just had to make up my profile as I only began on here today. ^_^
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

If looking to increase muscle and up weight:
    [1] a decent strength training program (you didn't specify your routine - cardio and/or barbie weights won't do what you want..if not a lifting program, there are quite a few listed in the sticky posts at the top of the board.
    [2] Eat in a surplus. Fat is your friend if you are having trouble with this because you are feeling too full to eat enough. (Oil, nut butters, nuts, cream, ice cream pack a huge number of calories in a small barely-satiating quantity) (Diet food/'clean eating' really has no purpose if you are not trying to cut weight). Absolutely no reason to avoid carbs unless they are crowding out desired amounts of protein and fat.
    [3] Enough protein. (And no- it doesn't have to come from some special protein drink). If not a vegetarian, then meat obviously has protein. You're trying to put on weight, so you don't need to default to super lean cuts of meat. Embrace sausage. If you are a vegetarian but not vegan, greek yogurt & cottage cheese have a lot of protein. If vegan, then protein powder will make it a lot easier to meet protein (not many vegan foods with more than a minimal amount of protein).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    To gain weight, you need to consume more calories than you are expending. No protein shake is going to magically put on muscle or weight...a protein shake is just a supplement to help you hit protein targets, there's nothing more magical about it than that.

Not sure why you're worried about your carbs, there's nothing wrong with carbs. You need to eat more calories, regardless of the source of those calories (ie carbs/protein/fat)...carbs are just one of the three macronutrients...nothing more, nothing less.

Run a good weight lifting program and eat.
  • Beccalouise09
    Options
    starlady09 wrote: »

A lot of people on SparkPeople site said this and it is very true, for I have a lot of trouble adding extra calories to my dinner or breakfast without adding too many carbs... I have yet to make up my food entries, but I am soon to get round to doing so, I just had to make up my profile as I only began on here today. ^_^

What's wrong with carbs?

And to answer your more calories question, the answer is always peanut butter

I'm to be having peanut butter on my toast in the morning and I've heard they aren't very good if wanting to maintain a certain weight, for many years I have been wanting to keep to a certain weight but now, I just want to stay petite and slim yet tone up as much as I can.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What's wrong with carbs?

I'm to be having peanut butter on my toast in the morning and I've heard they aren't very good if wanting to maintain a certain weight, for many years I have been wanting to keep to a certain weight but now, I just want to stay petite and slim yet tone up as much as I can.

Which lifting program are you following?
  • Beccalouise09
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    To gain weight, you need to consume more calories than you are expending. No protein shake is going to magically put on muscle or weight...a protein shake is just a supplement to help you hit protein targets, there's nothing more magical about it than that.

Not sure why you're worried about your carbs, there's nothing wrong with carbs. You need to eat more calories, regardless of the source of those calories (ie carbs/protein/fat)...carbs are just one of the three macronutrients...nothing more, nothing less.

Run a good weight lifting program and eat.

Thank you very much for this insight, I will keep this in mind, and I wish you good luck in your own goals.
  • Beccalouise09
    Options

What's wrong with carbs?

I dont follow any, only my own. sorry but I prefer it that way as I am autistic and don't like things being different, so I stick to a certain routine so it fits around my everyday routine I already have.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    [1] a decent strength training program (you didn't specify your routine - cardio and/or barbie weights won't do what you want..if not a lifting program, there are quite a few listed in the sticky posts at the top of the board.
    [2] Eat in a surplus. Fat is your friend if you are having trouble with this because you are feeling too full to eat enough. (Oil, nut butters, nuts, cream, ice cream pack a huge number of calories in a small barely-satiating quantity) (Diet food/'clean eating' really has no purpose if you are not trying to cut weight). Absolutely no reason to avoid carbs unless they are crowding out desired amounts of protein and fat.
    [3] Enough protein. (And no- it doesn't have to come from some special protein drink). If not a vegetarian, then meat obviously has protein. You're trying to put on weight, so you don't need to default to super lean cuts of meat. Embrace sausage. If you are a vegetarian but not vegan, greek yogurt & cottage cheese have a lot of protein. If vegan, then protein powder will make it a lot easier to meet protein (not many vegan foods with more than a minimal amount of protein).

I have no program, for I go by my own rules and my own style. No offence but I follow my own. I work solo thank you very much. I dont follow anyones rules. I stay in my own shadow. So far, my own way of strength train program has been working rather well. It will be a slow process yes but why take a little when you could take it all?

There are established plans for a reason... the reason being that they work.
  • Beccalouise09
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »

What constitutes too many carbs? Is there a reason you are afraid to eat carbs?

I fear putting storing fat in the hips or the thighs, I have heard what can happen but after reading what you all have said and asked to do with calories, I am very much looking at this fear as this saying now; screw fear, for what I am scared of is unauthordoze lol!

If you are eating over your maintenance calories, you are going to gain fat regardless of the macro breakdown. If you are strength training then you will gain muscle as well, but fat gain is unavoidable. Where that fat gets stored is up to your body and not under your control.

Okay, thank you for letting me know.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I fear putting storing fat in the hips or the thighs, I have heard what can happen but after reading what you all have said and asked to do with calories, I am very much looking at this fear as this saying now; screw fear, for what I am scared of is unauthordoze lol!

Unfortunately if you eat in a surplus to gain, even if your goal is to gain muscle, some fat gains come with that and where you gain fat will be genetic. You can help keep the fat gain at bay by keeping the surplus reasonable (recommended for women is 0.5lb per week or less), following a proper progressive lifting program, and getting enough protein (0.8-1g per lb bodyweight or lean body mass). Carbs are actually very beneficial during a bulk, they can help boost workout performance, they aid in muscle protein synthesis and they can be less filling for many which makes them good to hit a high calorie intake.. so don't be scared of them
  • Beccalouise09
    Options

I have no program, for I go by my own rules and my own style. No offence but I follow my own. I work solo thank you very much. I dont follow anyones rules. I stay in my own shadow. So far, my own way of strength train program has been working rather well. It will be a slow process yes but why take a little when you could take it all?

I am worried they plans will show a list that I will find difficult, I like routine and im worried it might cause my everyday routine to go pear-shaped. It is why I made up my own workout to go by for each day of the week where I can.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

And they work efficiently
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

What's wrong with carbs?

I dont follow any, only my own. sorry but I prefer it that way as I am autistic and don't like things being different, so I stick to a certain routine so it fits around my everyday routine I already have.

Then, unless you are very experienced, there is a risk that you might not be providing your body adequate and well balanced stimuli which can unfortunately lead to less than optimal or very poor muscle gain.
  • Beccalouise09
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Unfortunately if you eat in a surplus to gain, even if your goal is to gain muscle, some fat gains come with that and where you gain fat will be genetic. You can help keep the fat gain at bay by keeping the surplus reasonable (recommended for women is 0.5lb per week or less), following a proper progressive lifting program, and getting enough protein (0.8-1g per lb bodyweight or lean body mass). Carbs are actually very beneficial during a bulk, they can help boost workout performance, they aid in muscle protein synthesis and they can be less filling for many which makes them good to hit a high calorie intake.. so don't be scared of them

Sardelsa, thank you for your kind words there, for you have really stopped my fear of carbs for good! I am very much appreciating what you said.