Hal Higdon 10k Training Program: Novice (Progress Thread)

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Next challenge. Lose that damned HRM and just run. You're holding yourself back trying to stay in zones (limiting your pace more than it should). As Nike says, "Just Do It". :-)

Awesome job getting to 10. Keep at it.

Thank you @dewd2

i'm trying to do what the plan says. It says 65 to 75 percent of MHR, so that's what I try to do (even though I drift over that sometimes).

However, I do feel like I have not been getting a good cardio because of that, but my legs definitely feel it. I think these novice plans are designed to mainly build leg endurance.

I think once I finish the plan I'm gonna start working on a better pace for my shorter runs, and getting a better cardio.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    Next challenge. Lose that damned HRM and just run. You're holding yourself back trying to stay in zones (limiting your pace more than it should). As Nike says, "Just Do It". :-)

Thank you @dewd2

i'm trying to do what the plan says. It says 65 to 75 percent of MHR, so that's what I try to do (even though I drift over that sometimes).

However, I do feel like I have not been getting a good cardio because of that, but my legs definitely feel it. I think these novice plans are designed to mainly build leg endurance.

I think once I finish the plan I'm gonna start working on a better pace for my shorter runs, and getting a better cardio.

I don't mean go back to running like a fool every time :) There's a middle ground that you have to find. It takes some time to learn but you will get there.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member

Thank you @dewd2

Are you doing any cross training? You could look into incorporating swimming, you’d get a great cardio workout yet it’s easy on the joints. Only downfall is it’s super boring compared to running!
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member

Thank you @dewd2

Congrats on your progress! If you feel up to it, you might start slowly adding some speedwork, no more than one speed session a week. Intervals, tempo, pace runs, try them out and see how you feel.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member

Thank you @dewd2

I don't mean go back to running like a fool every time :) There's a middle ground that you have to find. It takes some time to learn but you will get there.

This. The key is really to learn to run by feel. That way you can adjust your pacing on the fly based on what you want to achieve with any given workout. It's less mechanical and makes running more enjoyable.
  • OldAssDude

Thank you @dewd2

Hahaha. You always have a cool way of putting things.

I'm sure it will kick in eventually. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Thank you @dewd2

This. The key is really to learn to run by feel. That way you can adjust your pacing on the fly based on what you want to achieve with any given workout. It's less mechanical and makes running more enjoyable.

As a relative newbie to running it took me about 3 years to be able to do that! :laugh:
  • OldAssDude
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

Thank you @dewd2

Are you doing any cross training? You could look into incorporating swimming, you’d get a great cardio workout yet it’s easy on the joints. Only downfall is it’s super boring compared to running!

I have not really done anything but run and walk since I started this plan. I do jump on my total gym (knock off) once in a while for about 15 minutes, but I want to save all my energy for these long runs (well, long to me).

Once I finish the plan, I plan on focusing on some hiking and trail running, and cycling when it gets warm enough.
  • OldAssDude
    noblsheep wrote: »

Thank you @dewd2

Congrats on your progress! If you feel up to it, you might start slowly adding some speedwork, no more than one speed session a week. Intervals, tempo, pace runs, try them out and see how you feel.

Thank you.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing my short runs faster to start getting a little better pace going.
  • OldAssDude
    I totally blew the plan now... :(

I did a 10 mile run on Sunday.

Monday I only did a 1.66 mile walk.
    Tuesday I was supposed to do a 5 mile run, and I only did a 2.67 mile run/walk.
    Wednesday I was supposed to do a 3 mile run, and only did a 3.52 mile run/walk.
    Thursday I was supposed to do a 5 mile run, and only did a 3.85 mile run/walk.

I just felt so fatigued after that 10 mile run. I had trouble running 1 mile for some reason.

I looked at the total time I ran on that 10 miler and realized that I ran for 3 hours straight.

That's longer than it takes some people to run a full marathon!

I made every single run up to that point without walking a single time.

Now I feel like I blew the whole kitten thing.

I guess I can look at the bright side that I ran 10 miles before failing.
  • TavistockToad

I just felt so fatigued after that 10 mile run. I had trouble running 1 mile for some reason.

I looked at the total time I ran on that 10 miler and realized that I ran for 3 hours straight.

You have a very strange definition of failure...
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member

You did well, just take it easy and give your body some time to recover. We all heal at different rates. Is it just soreness or does it feel like an injury? Stretch, foam roll, and do some gentle cross training!
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member

Dude. You ran 10 frickin miles. Give your body some credit and take a rest week or something. You won't lose any fitness and you can start doing the next part of whatever you're trying to do next Monday.

Take the 10 miler as a new starting point for higher levels of fitness. And congrats on getting so far in such a short time.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member

First-congrats on 10 miles! That’s phenomenal’

Second-if you go back a couple pages you’ll see where some suggested stretching out the plan and adding in a cutback week. You’re in the peak part of the training which is by definition the most fatiguing. You decided to condense the plan rather than extend it. I’m not surprised you’ve been hit by a stretch of fatigue.

That’s not failing anything-that’s called being human and having a normal human response to a rapidly increased training load.

That’s what cutback weeks are for.

Take one of those and then come back next week refreshed, rested and ready to build more.

Also consider looking into gels/chews/something. Most people find them good for runs longer than 2 hours. For the runners I know-that means anywhere from about 7 to 17 miles. Distance is less a factor than time. Glycogen generally runs out about 90 minutes in. If you’re going to be running much longer than that, a little fuel won’t hurt. You don’t *need* it as in you’re not going to keel over and die without it, and your body contains the fuel to complete the distance-it’s just more comfortable, and energetic with the fuel.

And seriously-congrats on 10 miles. That’s a huge milestone!

And stop worrying about your pace compared to others. You’ve run your fastest 5k, a very solid 10k (maybe your fastest? And in the snow no less-or was that the 5k?) and you’ve built up to running 10 freaking miles. You are doing YOU and making tremendous tangible progress (although you somehow still think you aren’t getting a training effect...). Anyway-you’re Rocking this.

• OldAssDude

Where you ever in the military?
  • OldAssDude
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

You did well, just take it easy and give your body some time to recover. We all heal at different rates. Is it just soreness or does it feel like an injury? Stretch, foam roll, and do some gentle cross training!

It just feels like fatigue. I probably just need to do some shorter workouts and recovery.

And thank you.
  • OldAssDude
    noblsheep wrote: »

Dude. You ran 10 frickin miles. Give your body some credit and take a rest week or something. You won't lose any fitness and you can start doing the next part of whatever you're trying to do next Monday.

Take the 10 miler as a new starting point for higher levels of fitness. And congrats on getting so far in such a short time.

Thanks.

Yeah, I did some shorter workouts this week at higher heart rate, so I'm putting less stress on my legs/hips, and focusing more on cardio.
  • TavistockToad

Where you ever in the military?

You're not in the military now?

Comparing now to, what, 30 years ago? is silly...
  • OldAssDude

Second-if you go back a couple pages you’ll see where some suggested stretching out the plan and adding in a cutback week. You’re in the peak part of the training which is by definition the most fatiguing. You decided to condense the plan rather than extend it. I’m not surprised you’ve been hit by a stretch of fatigue.

That’s not failing anything-that’s called being human and having a normal human response to a rapidly increased training load.

Take one of those and then come back next week refreshed, rested and ready to build more.

Also consider looking into gels/chews/something. Most people find them good for runs longer than 2 hours. For the runners I know-that means anywhere from about 7 to 17 miles. Distance is less a factor than time. Glycogen generally runs out about 90 minutes in. If you’re going to be running much longer than that, a little fuel won’t hurt. You don’t *need* it as in you’re not going to keel over and die without it, and your body contains the fuel to complete the distance-it’s just more comfortable, and energetic with the fuel.

And stop worrying about your pace compared to others. You’ve run your fastest 5k, a very solid 10k (maybe your fastest? And in the snow no less-or was that the 5k?) and you’ve built up to running 10 freaking miles. You are doing YOU and making tremendous tangible progress (although you somehow still think you aren’t getting a training effect...). Anyway-you’re Rocking this.

Thank you.

I guess I know it's not failing, but I was hitting every mark up to the 10 mile point, but I just could not take anymore after that without feeling like something bad was going to happen. I do listen to my body, and it definitely told me to back off.

Technically, I was not supposed to do the 10 miles until this Sunday, and the 13.1 until next Sunday. My plan is to do shorter more intense (cardio wise) workouts and see how I feel next week.

Since my cardio feels like it has declined a little due to the much lower intensity of these runs, I figure I can do some run/walk higher HR type workouts and give my legs a break for the next week.

It's these long slow runs that are taking the tole on me. Because I run 2 times slower than a good runner, I have to run for twice as long to cover the same distance, so a 10 mile run to me is a 3 hour run.

And yes, I plan on getting some gels for the next one. :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Thank

Thank you.

I guess I know it's not failing, but I was hitting every mark up to the 10 mile point, but I just could not take anymore after that without feeling like something bad was going to happen. I do listen to my body, and it definitely told me to back off.

Technically, I was not supposed to do the 10 miles until this Sunday, and the 13.1 until next Sunday. My plan is to do shorter more intense (cardio wise) workouts and see how I feel next week.

Since my cardio feels like it has declined a little due to the much lower intensity of these runs, I figure I can do some run/walk higher HR type workouts and give my legs a break for the next week.

It's these long slow runs that are taking the tole on me. Because I run 2 times slower than a good runner, I have to run for twice as long to cover the same distance, so a 10 mile run to me is a 3 hour run.

And yes, I plan on getting some gels for the next one. :)

I know you’re ahead of the game because you condensed the schedule. I (along with @dewd2) was one to suggest you do the opposite.

Your cardio isn’t declining (see 5k, 10k Times and the fact that you ran 10 freaking miles). You don’t need “a cardio” (whatever that means) to get a training effect. You have been getting a training effect or you wouldn’t have the 5k and 10k Times nor would you have run 10 miles.

Doing more intense stuff is the opposite of backing off. Your nervous system is very much involved in this whole game. Doing intense stuff is just going to exhaust that and slow recovery from the long runs-but I know you’re going to do it anyway.

And please stop with the good/bad. You run. You’re a runner. You’re not the fastest (neither am I-neither are 90% of the runners at races). You’re working to get faster (so am i). Which arguably makes you a better runner than someone who is faster but never trains for improvement.

And running for 3 hours-is freaking amazing.