Gaining Weight Females Group

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Hi everyone! So here’s my story: in the summer I was doing GREAT! Working out 5x a week with weights, and I gained healthy weight, bringing me up to 135lbs from my prior 125 (I’m 5’6”). Then in September I transitioned to vegetarianism/veganism. I came back home after several months away at college, and my mother said I looked like a stick. I weighed myself (since I didn’t have a scale at school) and I was 110! Is there anyone trying to make gains on a vegetarian diet? My goal is to get back to my average of 120lbs, right now I feel cold ALL the time, I have digestive issues, and it’s causing a ton of stress. Please leave any suggestions!! 🌱
    High calorie ideas: avocado, nuts, seeds, oil, coconut, granola, dried fruit. Whenever I'm low I grab the peanut butter and a spoon. When I had trouble with my mouth and couldn't eat normally, I just ate a carton of ice cream.
  • upgradedversion
    upgradedversion Posts: 6 Member
    Im looking for support on gaining weight. Looks like I’ve found the right group. Let me introduce myself. I’m Jo and I’m 32, 5 ft tall and 97lbs. I just recently just lost 20 lbs in the last 2 mths due to digestive problems.
    So now I’m trying to gain the weight back and then some and I hope that I can get some tips and support from you guys while on this journey.
    Looking forward to seeing all progress from everyone and myself, We can do it! :)
  • preciousleks
    preciousleks Posts: 213 Member
    edited January 2019
    Im looking for support on gaining weight. Looks like I’ve found the right group. Let me introduce myself. I’m Jo and I’m 32, 5 ft tall and 97lbs. I just recently just lost 20 lbs in the last 2 mths due to digestive problems.
    So now I’m trying to gain the weight back and then some and I hope that I can get some tips and support from you guys while on this journey.
    Looking forward to seeing all progress from everyone and myself, We can do it! :)

Sorry for the digestive issues.
    I have gained 3.5kgs since the beginning of September. This is what is helping me gain weight. I make sure I hit my calorie goal (2,200) every day. I just eat, and make sure I add avocados, bananas, yoghurt, milk, peanut butters, eggs to my diet. I also exercise 5 times a week(squats, glute bridges, hip thrust, lunges without any equipment at home) I have seen tremendous results. It works for me hope it works for you too. Good luck.
  • kylielane245
    kylielane245 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello! I am also trying to gain weight. I am 5' 3'' - 108.5 lbs. I've been trying to gain weight forever now. I've been eating like 2500 calories a day and still no gain lol. I except for half a pound, which is something for sure. Any advice on good supplements, appetite stimulants, or protein powders (unflavored and not whey)?? Since just eating a ton doesn't seem to be working for me lol. My goal weight for now is 120- may be more eventually but thats my short term goal.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Hello! I am also trying to gain weight. I am 5' 3'' - 108.5 lbs. I've been trying to gain weight forever now. I've been eating like 2500 calories a day and still no gain lol. I except for half a pound, which is something for sure. Any advice on good supplements, appetite stimulants, or protein powders (unflavored and not whey)?? Since just eating a ton doesn't seem to be working for me lol. My goal weight for now is 120- may be more eventually but thats my short term goal.

I used to get Mlo vegetable protein at HEB or vitacost. I think spirutein also makes a plain veggie based protein/meal
    replacement.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

they do have whats called mass gainers that are like protein powders which are high in calories. but you just may need more calories(high calorie foods can help) but one question are you weighing your food to know you are eating 2500 calories? how active are you? the moer active you are the more calories you need. get a food scale and weigh everything and see if you really are eating 2500 calories. if so then up the calories by 100 calories (not sure if its daily or weekly) and see how you are progressing.supplements arent needed. if you gained half a lb how long did it take you to gain that?
  • hernandezg3524
    hernandezg3524 Posts: 11 Member
    Hi I am also trying to gain weight so I can build muscle. I am 30 yrs old 5’3 132lbs, trying to go up to 140lbs. I just started 7 days ago with higher calories and lower body work outs. I am consuming 2,500 calories per day. I am also drinking shakeology which I take after my work outs to replace lost calories.I am also doing lower body work outs that consist of squats, lunges, and planks Monday-Saturday and rest Sundays. I know the only way to achieve goals is through dedication. So ladies let’s do THIS!!!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Hi I am also trying to gain weight so I can build muscle. I am 30 yrs old 5’3 132lbs, trying to go up to 140lbs. I just started 7 days ago with higher calories and lower body work outs. I am consuming 2,500 calories per day. I am also drinking shakeology which I take after my work outs to replace lost calories.I am also doing lower body work outs that consist of squats, lunges, and planks Monday-Saturday and rest Sundays. I know the only way to achieve goals is through dedication. So ladies let’s do THIS!!!!

why only lower body? why not your whole body? not to mention to get muscle to grow it needs rest working the same muscle groups every day can lead to over training and can result in injuries
  • preciousleks

why only lower body? why not your whole body? not to mention to get muscle to grow it needs rest working the same muscle groups every day can lead to over training and can result in injuries

I also do only lower body workouts without any equipment. I want my booty and thighs to be thick. Is it bad?
  • preciousleks

We can do this. I can't believe I was 54kgs in 2015 and now am 65.5kgs.
  • preciousleks

You are probably not eating 2,500 calories. I used to think I am a hard gainer, but when I joined the app I came to realize I was eating 1000+calories but now I am eating 2,200 calories and am gaining 1kg per month. I joined when I was 60kgs now am 65.5kgs in 4months. Log your food correctly.
  • hernandezg3524
    edited January 2019
    I am currently just working on my lower body because that’s the area that I need work to begin with. I am aware about over doing I know my limit. In the future I will be adding upper body workouts to arms and abs. For some reason I tend to gain muscle right away on my abs and arms so that’s the reason I’m not in a rush to work on that just yet. Now my legs and butt do take time and dedication so that I will work on first. One day I work out lower body intensely and the next day i still do but not that intense to be more clear. Oh and no equipment also, for now.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I am currently just working on my lower body because that’s the area that I need work to begin with. I am aware about over doing I know my limit. In the future I will be adding upper body workouts to arms and abs. For some reason I tend to gain muscle right away on my abs and arms so that’s the reason I’m not in a rush to work on that just yet. Now my legs and butt do take time and dedication so that I will work on first. One day I work out lower body intensely and the next day i still do but not that intense to be more clear. Oh and no equipment also, for now.

My only recommendation is to follow an established progressive program for best results. Strong Curves has a bodyweight only program or a lower only program (which I'm sure you could modify for bodyweight/bands/dumbbells)
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited January 2019

You should definitely follow a structured lifting program. Strong Curves also has a body weight/at home plan you can follow. I learned my lesson the hard way by neglecting to train certain muscle groups. For a while I focused too much on my lower half and neglected to train things that I was told women didn’t need to, such as chest, shoulders and back. When I began lifting I tweaked my back doing heavy deadlifts despite the fact that I could perform heavy squats with no issue. Then when I began to focus on strengthening my back I didn’t see any significant progress until working on my shoulders and chest. You really don’t want one muscle taking on too much of the work when performing compound movements, it’ll only set you back in the long run.

Edited to add: training upper body also significantly helps your posture! :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

I also do only lower body workouts without any equipment. I want my booty and thighs to be thick. Is it bad?

nothing wrong with wanting a "thick" booty and thighs. but you need to also train upper body to be able to lift those heavy weights which will be what gives you the big booty and thighs(along with a surplus of calories as well).what sardelsa and teabythesea_ said is correct also. you dont want to be weaker on top and then have issues with lifting those weights. you need to strengthen the upper half too.
  • hernandezg3524
    Thank you ladies for your input I will work on that! 🙂
  • preciousleks
    Most of my clothes ain't fitting. I can't believe I bought some in 2018 and they are not fitting too. What should I do? Buy some or wait?
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Bf and I broke up. Eh wasn’t that into him, as it’s only been a few months, but all good. Probs was intimidated by my increasing size ;) I don’t really binge on food or drink but I do tend to binge on showers and exercise. Wish me luck not to overdo either.
  • strongbraid
    strongbraid Posts: 2 Member
    Wow! Thanks for starting this group! "Preciousleks," what was your strategy to go from 119 lbs to 138? That's so impressive!

I might be the smallest one here lol I'm 105 lbs and looking to get to 130 lbs by this summer. I'm pretty strong and have been consistently strength training for years but my biggest hurdle is being consistent with getting in enough calories. Naturally I only want to eat 1500-1800 calories but know that I have seen weight gain here and there when I have eaten 2500-3,000 calories. The most I've ever weighed was 115 lbs, but as soon as I went back to eating like bird, the weight dropped instantly.

I've tried planning a ton of meals a day but it gets hard to fit in all those meals on days when I'm really busy. So I've gotten my meal plan down to a simple two 1500 calorie meals that I can easily make for.

Meal 1 is: 1500 total cal
    a 1200 calorie smoothie with 3 bananas, 1 c blueberries, 2 tbsp almond butter, 2 tbsp hemp seeds, 2 tbsp chia seeds, 1 scoop vivolife protein, 4 tbsp coconut cream, 1/2 c almond milk, 5 oz greens
    +
    I'll eat about a cup and a half of cooked steel cut oats.

(This meal takes me all morning to consume and I can just conveniently sip on the smoothie throughout my morning)

Meal 2: (1500 total cal)
    Salmon, 1 sweet potato, 1.5 c lentils, 1 c quinoa, olive oil, spices, 4 tbsp hummus, 1 avocado

Meal 3: if I have time, I'll eat something very light in the evening
    salad or bowl of veggies ~ 100-200 cal

I am starting to eat this condensed meal plan this week and will keep you all updated on how it goes :)

My lifting routine just consists of compound movements - mostly supersets - 6 days per week alternating push/pull and hip/quad