Gaining Weight Females Group

Replies

• QueenKenni
    QueenKenni Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, new here and on a weight gain journey. What exercises are you doing reach your goals? And how much are you eating a day?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm lifting 3x per week, heavy squats, bench, deads, moderate ohp, rows, pullups, split lunge, etc. I'm not tracking my calories, but I've been eating a lot of peanut butter in addition to normal meals and snacks
  • preciousleks
    preciousleks Posts: 213 Member
    QueenKenni wrote: »
    Hi, new here and on a weight gain journey. What exercises are you doing reach your goals? And how much are you eating a day?

I try to eat 2,200 calories a day.
    I do exercises at home, squats, lunges, glute bridges, hip thrust, kick backs or donkey kicks for 20 minutes 4 times in a week without any equipment.
    I have gained 3.5kgs in four months. Current weight 65.5kgs

Plz be consistent
  • Myramm2013
    Myramm2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello ladies! I just turned 24 and I’m ready to finally LOOK like it. I do leg workouts and my question is when is the proper time to add more weights. I’ve been working out for about 3 weeks now consistently 5 times a week and I usually do a series of squats with 25lbs dumbbells +40lbs on workout machines now. My goal is to literally grow my butt so I’ve been increasing my calories as well. Love any tips, tricks, advice!
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited January 2019
    Myramm2013 wrote: »
    Hello ladies! I just turned 24 and I’m ready to finally LOOK like it. I do leg workouts and my question is when is the proper time to add more weights. I’ve been working out for about 3 weeks now consistently 5 times a week and I usually do a series of squats with 25lbs dumbbells +40lbs on workout machines now. My goal is to literally grow my butt so I’ve been increasing my calories as well. Love any tips, tricks, advice!

You would be much more successful in your efforts by following a lower body focused program. Strong Curves is a good one and specifies the rep range of the exercises. For me, when I can perform all of the reps in the set easily and with good form then I know it's time to up the weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Myramm2013 wrote: »

You would be much more successful in your efforts by following a lower body focused program. Strong Curves is a good one and specifies the rep range of the exercises. For me, when I can perform all of the reps in the set easily and with good form then I know it's time to up the weight.

I agree but would go with a progressive lifting program. OP there is a post titles what lifting program is good for me or something like that (do a search) and look into them and see which ones jump out at you then go from there. as for workout machines they dont isolate all the muscles needed for that body part/area you want to build up. use a barbell/dumbbell which will work more muscles in those area . free weights in my opinion and Im sure that of others is far more superior than machines.I saw better results lifting a bar/dumbell than I did with my home gym(with cables -an all in one machine). I gave the thing away because for me it was a glorified coat rack lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Just wanted to share my weight gaining journey. I’ve been skinny all my life. I ate a lot (in volume) but never tracked any calories. Fat just didn’t stick to me. My starting point towards weight gain was at 105 lbs and I’m 5’7. One day I had had enough of struggling to find clothes that fit and looked good. I got checked out by my primary doctor, chatted with a nutritionist. No medical issues, I was just told to eat more. So I did. For 4-5 months I ate 2400 calories daily. It was really hard. I resorted to milkshakes with olive oil because I just couldn’t get enough calories in. I wasn’t going to the gym at that time, so I started gaining fat. I can’t tell you how happy I was one day when I found out I couldn’t fit into my pants. However, weight gain and fat consumption came at a cost - my cholesterol went through the roof. I refused to take medication for it and focused on lowering my fat intake and started my gym journey. It took me a while to get my cholesterol under control. However, I was thankful that during that time I didn’t lose any weight that I had worked so hard to gain. Currently doing a lifting program and eating at a small surplus to go up from 137lbs to 140lbs. I’m older and wiser now and trying to watch where my fats are coming from. Hopefully this helps someone.

while thats great you do know that weight fluctuates so you dont have one static number you have a weight range of say 5-7 lbs (maybe a bit less.) right? if you can maintain in the weight range then you are good to go
  • juliemessina24
    juliemessina24 Posts: 1 Member
    Once I "got" the numbers I was able to gain lean muscle. Find an online calculator to find your Resting Metabolic Rate. Your RMR is the calories needed to maintain current weight. Eat 500 more calories a day than your RMR to gain one pound a week. Protein power supplementation can help when you're not hungry. Lift 5 days a week and take one or two rest days off. Keep macros balanced so your body uses fat for energy. Take your vitamins daily and give it some time to see results. Congrats on being so fitness aware in your 20s Ladies.
  • svetlananash661
    svetlananash661 Posts: 9 Member
    Just wanted to share my weight gaining journey. I’ve been skinny all my life. I ate a lot (in volume) but never tracked any calories. Fat just didn’t stick to me. My starting point towards weight gain was at 105 lbs and I’m 5’7. One day I had had enough of struggling to find clothes that fit and looked good. I got checked out by my primary doctor, chatted with a nutritionist. No medical issues, I was just told to eat more. So I did. For 4-5 months I ate 2400 calories daily. It was really hard. I resorted to milkshakes with olive oil because I just couldn’t get enough calories in. I wasn’t going to the gym at that time, so I started gaining fat. I can’t tell you how happy I was one day when I found out I couldn’t fit into my pants. However, weight gain and fat consumption came at a cost - my cholesterol went through the roof. I refused to take medication for it and focused on lowering my fat intake and started my gym journey. It took me a while to get my cholesterol under control. However, I was thankful that during that time I didn’t lose any weight that I had worked so hard to gain. Currently doing a lifting program and eating at a small surplus to go up from 137lbs to 140lbs. I’m older and wiser now and trying to watch where my fats are coming from. Hopefully this helps someone.

while thats great you do know that weight fluctuates so you dont have one static number you have a weight range of say 5-7 lbs (maybe a bit less.) right? if you can maintain in the weight range then you are good to go
    I’ve never had a problem maintaining in the range. Somehow my body doesn’t lose or gain weight without me pushing for it on purpose. If I get to a certain number, I stay there forever while eating whatever I want. I’ve been in the 133-135 lbs range, and would like to up it a bit to help with my muscle developing goal:)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Once I "got" the numbers I was able to gain lean muscle. Find an online calculator to find your Resting Metabolic Rate. Your RMR is the calories needed to maintain current weight. Eat 500 more calories a day than your RMR to gain one pound a week. Protein power supplementation can help when you're not hungry. Lift 5 days a week and take one or two rest days off. Keep macros balanced so your body uses fat for energy. Take your vitamins daily and give it some time to see results. Congrats on being so fitness aware in your 20s Ladies.

This isn't quite correct. Your RMR or BMR is the amount of calories you use when you are completely resting and not expending any energy. What's needed is an estimate of your TDEE which takes your activity /exercise into account. And then add 250/500 or whatever, to that, if you want to gain.
    Or use the MFP calculator and then log your exercise
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

I’ve never had a problem maintaining in the range. Somehow my body doesn’t lose or gain weight without me pushing for it on purpose. If I get to a certain number, I stay there forever while eating whatever I want. I’ve been in the 133-135 lbs range, and would like to up it a bit to help with my muscle developing goal:)

well then you are maintaining weight, but if you want to gain muscle you can eat in a surplus which means some fat gain too if you want some decent gains, or eat in maintenance (recomp)and lift heavy with a progressive lifting program, get enough protein/carbs and go from there. you can gain a little bit of muscle in a recomp and not gain fat but its really slow. a surplus will be slow too but not as slow. but whichever you chose find a progressive lifting program,get enough protein and carbs(they say carbs are king for building muscle) and see what happens.
  • mamitacos
    mamitacos Posts: 18 Member
    Im in :)
  • lydiaanne15
    lydiaanne15 Posts: 2 Member
    I’m trying to gain weight I’m only 7st 5 and I look so skinny I’m a big eater and I’ve no idea how to gain weight! I just want something a bit extra too me!
  • Goal60kg2019
    Goal60kg2019 Posts: 5 Member

I have gained 3kgs in 3 months.
    How did you do it😢😢
  • preciousleks
    preciousleks Posts: 213 Member
    I have gained 3kgs in 3 months.
    How did you do it😢😢

Eating 2,200 calories everyday, and exercises like squats, hip thrust, donkey kicks, lunges, and glute bridges.
    And I have gained 1.5 kgs again.
    Am getting thick. Be consistent
  • cuevafelicia
    cuevafelicia Posts: 1 Member
    Hello ladies! I just started back up on here, and am looking to hold myself accountable this time. Im 5’1 and I’m currently 101.9 lbs. my goal weight is 125. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week and do a lot of lower body workouts such as squats, deadlifts, good mornings, hip thrusts, split squats, and leg presses, all with weight. I have always had a problem with gaining weight, and I’m finding my biggest struggle is with eating enough, and finding time to eat. Does anyone have any tips on recipes and how to pace your meals? Supplements or vitamins that might help?
  • Hi! I'm currently 100 lbs and I'm 5'3. I want to gain 50 lbs because even though I'm not underweight, I have a tiny torso, long limbs, and I'm flatter than a carpet. I have a super fast metabolism and my mom is short and thin like me. She had tried every trick in the book to gain weight when she was younger such as adding more fat to her meals and even drinking a tbsp of oil every day, but she never went up from 95 lbs and when she was pregnant with me she actually weighed 100 lbs only. She currently weighs around 130 lbs but it has taken decades to get to where she is now. My fear is that I'll never be able to gain weight quickly, and by quickly I mean about 10 lbs in five weeks. Any tips and tricks? Thanks XOXO
  • I also forgot to mention that my mom's weight gain was intentional, but she had spent many years before trying to gain weight without success.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited February 2019
    Hi! I'm currently 100 lbs and I'm 5'3. I want to gain 50 lbs because even though I'm not underweight, I have a tiny torso, long limbs, and I'm flatter than a carpet. I have a super fast metabolism and my mom is short and thin like me. She had tried every trick in the book to gain weight when she was younger such as adding more fat to her meals and even drinking a tbsp of oil every day, but she never went up from 95 lbs and when she was pregnant with me she actually weighed 100 lbs only. She currently weighs around 130 lbs but it has taken decades to get to where she is now. My fear is that I'll never be able to gain weight quickly, and by quickly I mean about 10 lbs in five weeks. Any tips and tricks? Thanks XOXO

I wouldn't recommend gaining weight quickly. The quicker you gain the less control you have over where it goes IF you are doing resistance training while in a surplus. If you're not doing any form of training then your gains will be fat with zero control over where it goes. A rate of about .5lb a week seems doable for most. Have you tried putting your stats into MFP, selecting the option to gain and eating the calories it gives you? Many people think they have a "fast metabolism" when really their metabolism is normal but they aren't eating as much as the think, which they realize when they begin properly tracking their calories.