Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    In fairness, I think there is an emotional piece of weight loss that is much stronger for some than it is for others, and that emotional attachment can border on desperation... and desperation can make rational thought, critical thinking, common sense, etc much more difficult. That's part of the reason why what might be implied might not be what is heard. Heck, what is said might not be what is heard.

This is a kind interpretation, and I'm sure it's true . . . sometimes, maybe often, maybe even usually.

Unfortunately, I think poor contextual reading comprehension, a personality tendency toward outrage, "my good team vs. your bad team" reflexes, and symbol reactiveness are involved in these differences, too, sometimes.

Probably, especially in this medium/forum.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    In fairness, I think there is an emotional piece of weight loss that is much stronger for some than it is for others, and that emotional attachment can border on desperation... and desperation can make rational thought, critical thinking, common sense, etc much more difficult. That's part of the reason why what might be implied might not be what is heard. Heck, what is said might not be what is heard.

Interesting.

What I am seeing is some posters, who think they have better diets than most others (with very little reason to assume that), claiming that because others don't insist that eating any white food (or whatever) = doom for a diet or even doom for nutrition, that those others are saying nutrition doesn't matter and, indeed, that a diet of only pixie stix would be cool.

Why do you think there's that desire to twist people's words in such a way? I'm not sure how that would result from emotional food issues or desperation, and I think it's really quite offensive. I would like to better understand, however, so am interested in your thoughts.

By in large, I don't think there is an intentional desire to "twist people's words". I think in conversations that don't spell out clearly all the context that goes along with a point, that different people can/might interpret things differently based on their own beliefs (right or wrong) and desires.

And just for clarity/context, I spend far more time in the general weight loss forum than I do the food and nutrition forum. I feel as though the number of posts that simply say "calories are all that matter" far outweigh the number of posts that say that, but then go on to mention the importance of nutrients/health/etc. My point with all this is that I can absolutely understand why some MFPers can be under the impression that MFP as a collective (not specific people) can sometimes ignore issues of nutrients/health in the face of CICO and weight loss.