Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Options

Replies

• wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    mschosting wrote: »
    What I read constantly that I do not really agree is that everyone recommends a huge amount of protein per kg for weight loss.
    Not for weight loss, for retention of muscle mass during weight loss. There have been extensive studies on this subject, with varying results, but in general if you are an older person losing weight, eating more than the recommended daily allowance of protein conserves muscle mass.

Oops, you beat me to it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    What strikes me as rude are the drop-in posts from people who have clearly not been reading the thread offering canned advice (frequently not related to the advice people were seeking). I find that much more grating and off-putting than rather curt efforts to help ("food scale" or what not).

Since people clearly differ in what comes across as rude, and since typically the person gets a variety of different types of posts, I think it's probably better to try and give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they are NOT being rude. I admit I struggle with that too.

That's the culture. Few people question themselves and don't know the difference between truth and opinion. Few have questioned themselves to understand why they believe what they believe.

This isn't rude to them, as they are only speaking "their truth".
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    UsE a fOoD ScALe

why do you disagree with this?

Because most people here believe its the be all end all of weight loss. Haven't weighted a single ounce of food in 6 months and doing just fine.

Maybe for skinny people trying to "lose weight" it may help but those of us with a ton to drop its unnecessary and a waste of time. As long as your mindful of portion sizes it does the same job.

this is why we recommend....i don't know about you but i struggle to see a visual difference between the 2

j04qwx9y12c9.jpeg

I can clearly see the one on the right has more peanut butter. However, without a food scale, I can't tell you how much more or how that would impact my choices for the rest of the day.

So I'll weigh the peanut butter I use and as long as I'm in the 90-100% range of the portion I'm seeking, I'll log it as 100%

If I'm over, I'll put some back.

For me, and it's sad that it seems I have to make this caveat, but it seems I must, that strategy works for me.

(I just finished 32g of Peanut Butter and 19g of Simply Fruit on four slices of Fit and Active (IIRC) bread from Aldi.)
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I don't personally believe "anyone" can lose weight by counting their calories alone. That's my unpopular opinion.

You are right. Just like I cannot trim a 2x4 with a tape measure alone, I cannot lose weight by only measuring my intake. I must also measure my calorie burn and make sure I cut down my consumption to be less than my calorie burn.

I might be able to get my consumption below the burn without measuring. But I know where I am when I measure.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    What strikes me as rude are the drop-in posts from people who have clearly not been reading the thread offering canned advice (frequently not related to the advice people were seeking). I find that much more grating and off-putting than rather curt efforts to help ("food scale" or what not).

Since people clearly differ in what comes across as rude, and since typically the person gets a variety of different types of posts, I think it's probably better to try and give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they are NOT being rude. I admit I struggle with that too.

That's the culture. Few people question themselves and don't know the difference between truth and opinion. Few have questioned themselves to understand why they believe what they believe.

For me, it was part of the learning process.

Phase 1 - "I know nothing... someone help me."
    Phase 2 - "I know a little... let's see if I can lose some weight (or whatever goal)"
    Phase 3 - "I'm doing pretty well... I'll share my expertise with the world."
    Phase 4 - "Wow, I don't know half as much as I thought I knew. Maybe I should shut up and listen a bit more."
    Phase 5 - "There is no 1 right answer... It all depends."
    Phase 6 - dunno... haven't gotten there yet

I love the list. For me it isn't a linear progression through the steps. It's more of a random roll of the dice on any particular day depending on the topic...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

For me, it was part of the learning process.

Phase 1 - "I know nothing... someone help me."
    Phase 2 - "I know a little... let's see if I can lose some weight (or whatever goal)"
    Phase 3 - "I'm doing pretty well... I'll share my expertise with the world."
    Phase 4 - "Wow, I don't know half as much as I thought I knew. Maybe I should shut up and listen a bit more."
    Phase 5 - "There is no 1 right answer... It all depends."
    Phase 6 - dunno... haven't gotten there yet

I would say this is very close to my experience as well. I had to unlearn what I had "learned". Entered into the forums and my ideas met confrontation, to which I evaluated what I thought I knew.

Application of the Socratic method can take one very far.

I find it amazing how the availability of information has negatively impacted human questioning.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Thank
    6. I ate cake for breakfast yesterday and hardly feel qualified to dole out advice to anyone else based on that :lol:

I’ll take your advice any day. Cake is life!

Unless it was some sad paleo/keto/low carb/diet/black bean/beet microwave sea sponge looking thing that someone on Pinterest professed to be “the best cake EVAH” even though they had to drink a bottle of wine with it to get it down but now they are committed to the farce and want others to suffer alongside.

Oh no, most certainly not! It was toasted coconut and walnut with cream cheese frosting, made by my aunt (because everything tastes better when one of your aunts made it :wink: )

That’s definitely the right kind of cake.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Thank
    6. I ate cake for breakfast yesterday and hardly feel qualified to dole out advice to anyone else based on that :lol:

I’ll take your advice any day. Cake is life!

Unless it was some sad paleo/keto/low carb/diet/black bean/beet microwave sea sponge looking thing that someone on Pinterest professed to be “the best cake EVAH” even though they had to drink a bottle of wine with it to get it down but now they are committed to the farce and want others to suffer alongside.

This reminds me of a thread from way way back. OP was complaining about how much energy she had put into creating this heavily substituted for "healthy" ingredients monstrosity of a cake that she had made for her boyfriends birthday and he had to audacity to complain about it (he wanted a chocolate cake, but she loved him too much to kill him with those horrifying chemical cakes). :laugh:

I remember that! That was a forum classic (that was from the mini tramp[oline] thread era I think?). That’s exactly where the beet part of my (sadly probably not) fictional concoction came from. Because who puts beets in a cake? That’s unforgettably traumatic to the cake.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This is so close to turning into a cake culture thread. Just add pictures, please.