Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've seen threads semi-regularly where people gave medical advice (sometimes with bashing of the evil corporate medical establishment along the way. . . some thyroid threads: ugh). Normally someone else pretty quickly says "See your doctor; don't listen to random unqualified idiots on the internet."

I've also seen people chided (appropriately) for giving what amounted to medical advice without seeing it as such, for example by answering questions like "What exercises can I do if I have knee pain?".

Not to mention the infamous tendency for a few people - always bashed for it, and rightly so - to give magical dietary advice to cancer survivors. Mega ugh.

I'd say inappropriate medical advice happens here fairly often, but doesn't often go undisputed.

I see a little bit of that, but guess I just don't get around enough... not a terrible thing ;)

I also took the point of the tread to be more like, what advice espoused by the majority do you disagree with (though I could be mistaken). I think most experienced users don't tend to give medical advice, or deal in absolutes, as many comments have alluded to. But again, I don't know everything that goes on around here ;)
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Now that we are into page 4... I think the general consensus is that the most prevalent advice tends to be pretty sound. We have since strayed a bit from that and gotten into terminology or behavior (for lack of a better term) that may bother some of us.

Semantics ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Now that we are into page 4... I think the general consensus is that the most prevalent advice tends to be pretty sound. We have since strayed a bit from that and gotten into terminology or behavior (for lack of a better term) that may bother some of us.

Semantics ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MFP would have it no other way, lol.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'll add blind following of advice/information because it came from an institution. Institutions have a poor track record of following evidence and allowing other motivations to influence policy.

Show me the data.