Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Nutrition/fitness/weight loss.

I think you're supposed to answer first. :wink:

Probably, but then I would have been woo'd into oblivion for mine! :) I personally think calorie counting can go too far sometimes. It's silly to advise someone to weigh their banana at home, bring it to work and eat it, and then bring the banana peel back home to weigh it. Weighing the banana and just making a reasonable estimate of the peel weight based on previous bananas makes more sense to me.

For the average person who isn't having trouble losing, I would agree. I think that advice tends to be given to people who are saying they can't lose weight, but have huge holes in their logging.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's not a specific piece of advice, but it kind of bugs me when people talk about cardio as if it were all one undifferentiated thing, regardless of exercise modality.

Different forms of exercise place different demands on the body. If there's consistent practice over time, the body responds to those demands. Different forms of "cardio" involve different demands.

Most of them make demands on more than the cardiovascular system. For example, a total beginner who starts cycling regularly is going to develop some leg strength, and (other conditions met - protein, fuel, progressive stress, etc.) eventually add leg muscle . . . not as rapidly as with weight training, but it will happen.

"Cardio" is not all one thing.

Here also, I think most of the MFP old hands understand and reflect this, but it does get shorthanded in some threads in a way that can limit insight/understanding.

The myths ("cardio burns up muscles" without qualification) are a whole 'nother matter.

There's lots of dumb advice (telling beginners to do HIIT for maximum weight loss effectiveness; universal prescriptions to "cut carbs", "eliminate sugar", "eat clean", etc.), but a lot of that seems to come from starry-eyed near-beginners who've read too many lame diet/fitness blogs and are evangelists for what's helped them lose their first 5-10 pounds. Most people do tend to think other people are just like them, or should be . . . but that would be boring. ;)

I can attest to this. I've been a cyclist all my life, for two decades or more before I started lifting. I've always had trouble with pants, if the legs fit the waist is too big.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    OddDitty wrote: »
    For me its when people start giving medical advice or diagnosing others.

I haven't seen that.