Want to get bigger muscles but lose fat...suggestions??

Hey guys. I’m a 34 y/o male wanting to lose some fat and get a little bit more muscle mass and definition. Got out of the army weighing 185 lbs standing 6’0. now I’m 212 lbs and pudgy and a year removed from ACL reconstruction.

Basically starting over. Any suggestions?

Replies

• StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Maybe start with a cut until you are a comfortable weight/body fat and then go for a lean bulk. Do you already have a lifting program?
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    edited December 2018
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    mreichard wrote: »

Yep, pick a programme, get adequate protein and a small deficit.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    We are talking about this over in this thread as well: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/42956947#Comment_42956947

My first question for you is: Why do you think that you need to gain muscle mass in the first place? Do you have an accurate measurement about how much muscle mass you actually have? Or do you just want to get stronger and look more muscular? If you are trying to get definition, a lot of that will come from losing fat and revealing the muscles you already have. If you feel like you need to lose about 25 pounds, I would focus on weight loss while also exercising and doing strength training, and let your body take care of the rest.

For me personally, the last 3 months I have been eating at a deficit, training at a martials arts gym, and supplementing it with weight lifting. I'm losing weight, getting stronger, and looking more defined/muscular. I have no idea if I'm actually gaining any muscle mass at all or not. I don't really think for most people, it's actually that important unless it meets specific fitness goals they have set.
  • ericherron0910
    ericherron0910 Posts: 4 Member
    I don’t quite understand what eating at a deficit means. When I had my surgery my metabolism tanked. I used to eat like a horse and never gained a pound no matter how much or how little I worked out. Now I just feel like I’ve ballooned.

Don’t really know if I need more mass, but I would definitely like to look better and be stronger. 6 feet and 212-215 probably isn’t that bad.

I like your plan of martial arts and supplemental weight training. Would love to dust off the old black belt. Let’s hope my knee holds up. Cheers.
  • ericherron0910
    Maybe start with a cut until you are a comfortable weight/body fat and then go for a lean bulk. Do you already have a lifting program?

No. Just getting back into things. Really just winging it.

• ericherron0910
    mreichard wrote: »

Thank you. I’ll have to give that a read.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member

No. Just getting back into things. Really just winging it.

Definitely check out the link for finding a program. Good luck on your journey!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I don’t quite understand what eating at a deficit means. When I had my surgery my metabolism tanked. I used to eat like a horse and never gained a pound no matter how much or how little I worked out. Now I just feel like I’ve ballooned.

Don’t really know if I need more mass, but I would definitely like to look better and be stronger. 6 feet and 212-215 probably isn’t that bad.

I like your plan of martial arts and supplemental weight training. Would love to dust off the old black belt. Let’s hope my knee holds up. Cheers.

a calorie deficit is how you lose weight - by burning more than you eat.

your metabolism didn't tank, you just went from active and therefor burning more calories to sedentary but eating the same amount of food, hence the weight gain.