December Self Care Challenge

MadisonMolly2017
MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
edited December 2018 in Challenges
How will you care for yourself this December?

Come share ideas, inspire & support each other, and learn to care for ourselves in ways that don’t involve our old food habits!

How can we design our lives to maximize our happiness, fulfillment, and health?

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    Took a long hilly hike - for fun❗️

Reserved a place to stay out of town & signed up for art class & a concert !!!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017, nice self-care! :)
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    On Saturday my husband and I went to a local hobby shop to check out they're model train items. I really want to have a train display and I'm hoping we can have something ready for next holiday season. I new there was going to be a lot to think about like how to set it up, how to decorate, and what type of landscape you want. I never thought about the fact that we would also have to think about what size scale and what time period to put it in. Plus, it's going to be more expensive than I thought.

Yesterday we went for a nice drive to a trail I wanted to do some hiking in. Unfortunately the trail was more treacherous than anticipated so we checked out the dam in the area and went a different way home.

Today I'm hoping to take some time to read my book and maybe take a bath.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @SaraKim17 Feel free to restart this group! I only did it because I didn’t see it, but I think of it as yours❣️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017, nice self-care! :)

Thank you! My focus this month is “Have some (non-food) FUN!!!!

Setting up things to do alone & with friends - mostly free. Must Have Fun!!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @skram01

Trains are so fun! I thought of doing the same but never did. Ditto an awesome dollhouse! But I did dream a lot about both which brought me joy. Perhaps you can get a set that someone else has lived a long time & then redo the landscaping to cut the costs. E-Bay?

Sorry the hike didn’t work out, but I broke my arm 10 weeks ago on a tricky downhill so I’m glad you were careful. Hours of phys. Therapy at home & limited use still. Luckily the pain went away 6-7 weeks.

I am gonna steal your idea! Bath & book sounds lovely! Maybe some candles at the beginning or end!

Have a wonderful time!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Self care weekend- flew to Miami for a getaway and am so content and relaxed
  • kam32991
    kam32991 Posts: 13 Member
    Took some time at lunch to finish my book. It was Girl Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis. It really helped me to think about ways to improve myself without being a preachy self help book.
  • PKM0515
    @MadisonMolly2017, I think of it as yours and Twyla's group! I felt like an interloper starting it last month.

My self-care today doesn't feel much like self-care. After YEARS of not going to the dentist, I went today and wound up having root canal. And another root canal is scheduled for next Monday. From here on, I plan to go regularly for check-ups and cleanings. There's a long story behind this, but I'll spare everyone the details. ;)

On a "positive" note, I was supposed to go out to dinner with friends tonight, but my mouth was too uncomfortable. So tea, soup, and applesauce instead of appetizers, wine, pasta, and dessert.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017, I think of it as yours and Twyla's group! I felt like an interloper starting it last month.

My self-care today doesn't feel much like self-care. After YEARS of not going to the dentist, I went today and wound up having root canal. And another root canal is scheduled for next Monday. From here on, I plan to go regularly for check-ups and cleanings. There's a long story behind this, but I'll spare everyone the details. ;)

On a "positive" note, I was supposed to go out to dinner with friends tonight, but my mouth was too uncomfortable. So tea, soup, and applesauce instead of appetizers, wine, pasta, and dessert.

It WAS Self-Care, @SaraKim17 !!! Congratulations on getting that done & I’m very sorry you are in pain. Maybe you can reschedule with friends in January!

Hoping you sleep well...
  • PKM0515
    Went to a chair yoga class with a friend. Really enjoyed it. :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Oh fun @SaraKim17
    I didn’t know that was a thing! Glad you had a great time!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Dec 4 - ordered two books (art & self care focused)
    Dec 5 - they are a day early!! Perusing :)

In general, taking things a little slower, not pushing myself as much. A Good Thing!
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 I never thought to start with with someone else's "cast off." I definitely have an image in my head of at least a basic construct, but I will definitely be checking eBay!

I'm so sorry about the injury! And just in time for great hiking weather. Super bummer. If it had just been the leaves and the rain from the previous few days we would have happily kept hiking. Unfortunately it was that plus a pretty steep hill. We've been working on hiking the Baker Trail which is in Western PA. 135 miles of barely maintained trail in very rocky, hilly terrain and where it isn't rocky, it's surrounded by huge rhododendron and mountain Laurel. Gorgeous but not terrain your want to underestimate.

I've spent some good time reading. On Tuesday I also ended up sparring for the first time. It was amazing!! I definitely have a long way to go but it was awesome to get past the fear of sparring for the first time. I've been eating at maintenance this week as well as upping my carbs in preparation of my belt test on Saturday. I've been letting myself sleep in as well.
  • RubyRed427
    Morning, friends! I am back from a luxurious, fulfilling and self care weekend. Flew to sunny Florida for some R and R and really escaped all the stress of home. Back to work now, trying not to cry, 100% self care weekend has made me depressed today to get back to ordinary life.
    I will be ok. Just a shock. I felt so good. I think the key is to try to make everyday a good one like this thread suggests. Do something nice every single day for yourself. Xo
  • PKM0515
    @RubyRed427, I'm sorry you're feeling down.

I have lots of plans/ideas, but follow-through is difficult for me. I was thinking, though, that each month it might be nice to take a calendar or bullet journal and plan little self-care "challenges." For example, January 1 - take a nature walk; January 2 - read a chapter in a novel; January 3 - give yourself a manicure; and so on. I'm finding it's very easy to get sidetracked/distracted when I'm trying to think of something on a day-to-day basis. The monthly planning and challenge to come up with "different" things might actually be fun. It's something I'm considering.
  • kam32991
    kam32991 Posts: 13 Member
    @SaraKim17 Please post what you come up with. I have been struggling some.

Yesterday I started listening to a audio book in the car on my way home.
  • JeanieBeanie655
    JeanieBeanie655 Posts: 1 Member
    This weekend I'm going to buy myself some cute clothes in my goal weight's size and then eat some organic fruit while watching TV with my husband.
  • RubyRed427
    This weekend I'm going to buy myself some cute clothes in my goal weight's size and then eat some organic fruit while watching TV with my husband.

Sounds like a good weekend!! Enjoy!
  • RubyRed427
    @SaraKim17 Thanks! I am feeling better and back into the daily groove.