December Self Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    @RubyRed427, I'm sorry you're feeling down.

I have lots of plans/ideas, but follow-through is difficult for me. I was thinking, though, that each month it might be nice to take a calendar or bullet journal and plan little self-care "challenges." For example, January 1 - take a nature walk; January 2 - read a chapter in a novel; January 3 - give yourself a manicure; and so on. I'm finding it's very easy to get sidetracked/distracted when I'm trying to think of something on a day-to-day basis. The monthly planning and challenge to come up with "different" things might actually be fun. It's something I'm considering.

I like your idea!! I remember when I used to read LIVING magazine with Martha Stewart , she had a calendar on a page with her daily goal or activity. I think I’ll do that too. I find once I jot something down on paper, I am way more likely to get it accomplished. I’d like to see your calendar when you’re done.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I bought a comfy cozy warm pair of moccasins to wear around the house. I love them! I’ve been taking daily bubble baths too and am enjoying good food in small portions which I’m getting used to now!
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Yesterday I picked up a new shirt and a new hoodie. Both make my torso look longer which I love.

Today I slept in and are mostly are only spaghetti today. I had my test and I'm now a yellow belt. It was five hours of fighting so the spaghetti was well earned. Tomorrow I'm looking forward to having an easy day but I plan on doing something fun/holiday related.

ETA: I also took the most amazing, boil your skin off, hot shower.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Naturally woke up early at 5:15 am on a Sunday morning. Went to the living room couch, covered myself in three blankets, and did a 30 min. Meditation. Then, just lied there drifting in and out in peace watching sunrise. House was so quiet. No cars on the roads. I’d say it was a perfect day already. Later, I’ll go to a fabulous craft fair and have some coffee and shop a little bit.

This year, my goals are not to spend a ton of money on everyone, but buy really beautiful thoughtful gifts for each person and take the time to wrap them and write a personal card of appreciation.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    18dmeiow9icu.png
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    18dmeiow9icu.png

@RubyRed427

This!
    My body is telling me to relax, rest, regroup...
    It’s tough for me to go because I’ve been go, go, go on this Health Journey for awhile now.

I took it a little easier today. I bet I bounce back in a day or three!

Thank you❣️

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Tried a yoga class: easy, restorative, healing.
    Proud of myself for taking a risk!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Tried a yoga class: easy, restorative, healing.
    Proud of myself for taking a risk!

Yay! (I'm going back to chair yoga tomorrow.) 🌞
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Self care: didnt have a glass of wine with all the teachers after school because I want to only have a drink on very special occasions, had a hot bath and painted my nails, didn’t grade papers because i graded for five hours yesterday and need a break.... I guess it all comes down to knowing your limits in life. Sometimes, I get so tired of working beyond the regular work day and I feel like no one knows or cares that I do. Oh, dear... now I’m starting to rant. LOL xoxo
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Left work early because i was distracted and not getting much accomplished - took a long walk and i’m feeling like i’ve cleared my head, ready for a creative day tomorrow!
    Spent time tonight bonding with my bunny, i think he’s beginning to trust me a little more!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Self care: didnt have a glass of wine with all the teachers after school because I want to only have a drink on very special occasions, had a hot bath and painted my nails, didn’t grade papers because i graded for five hours yesterday and need a break.... I guess it all comes down to knowing your limits in life. Sometimes, I get so tired of working beyond the regular work day and I feel like no one knows or cares that I do. Oh, dear... now I’m starting to rant. LOL xoxo

@RubyRed427
    I understand your feelings completely. I can tell you that I have learned that the parents of your students DO realize all that you are doing - and DO appreciate your efforts. I have found students in high school also very much appreciate what you do. Hang in there - it’s always tough just before Winter Break!!
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sunday my husband and I got pizza. It's been a long time since we've let ourselves overeat. I ate more pizza than I probably should have. I was trying to make up for my way to large deficit on Saturday, but even with all the pizza, I was only about 50 calories over maintenance for the day. It felt nice to let myself enjoy pizza and although I did eat a lot, I didn't stuff myself. I was comfortably full.

Yesterday I had to take care of a snafu at a magistrates office (their screw up not mine) close to where I used to work. Since I was irritated that I had to deal with it in the first place and that I had to drive 40ish minutes each way plus deal with driving through the city (traffic in the area I was going is always sucky) I decided to meet up with a friend for lunch at the Whole Foods. I picked up some nice cheese and a couple nice cuts off meat for my husband and I. I also got the ingredients for one of my favorite soups. When I got home, hubby and I baked cookies together and then made dinner together. We then watched the Great British Baking Show: Masterclass while playing with the dog. We enjoy watching and talking about recipes and I got a few new ones to try.

I'm typing this it at 5am. I don't want to be awake and I've been up since 3:15. Needless to say, I've been having sleeping issues lately. This plus some nausea means I need make an appointment with my doctor to adjust my meds. Other than those two side effects, I think the drug is working well. I'm hoping I don't have to switch drugs but the lower dose was not quite enough. So scheduling the appointment is going to be part of my self care today.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Took a long, long walk as my self care today. Lovely.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    My school building is closing in June , so we have to move to another building. This would be my third move in three years but you know what? I stayed calm, took a bath, made some dinner. I decided since there is nothing I can do , I can choose to still be happy 😊 there are worse things in life. So my self care today is not getting bent out of shape, doing positive self talk "I've done this before and I can do this again" and still enjoyed the evening.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Lovely @RubyRed427
    You inspire me every single time you post!
    💞Thank you!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 You inspire me!!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Gonna catch up with a bunch of friends I've neglected for a while
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Shopped at a holiday market , bought candles and sea salt honey, and now treating myself to lunch (ahi tuna appetizer ).... tonight will
    Paint a picture from recent Florida beach vacation. Self care weekend for sure !
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Bought an art magazine today & really has fun actually trying some of the projects. In one, I took my first sketch & pushed it..scribbles, colors (I’m on trip with very limited art supplies because I never usually use them, but I did this time! LOL
    Then I thought, hey I have those old highlighters and just spontaneously added them, some text, and some different small mark making.

I also spent 60-90 minutes working out collage materials & color scheme for another project!

Setting a 15 min goal per day of actual art making has really worked for me!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Wonderful weekend!
    Quality time with DH!!!
    Art - broke through resistance & went for it!
    Great craft class
    Inspiring concert with lecture. Must play more classical music & read some biographies on famous composers!

Happy!