December Self Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    This month has been a little hot or miss for self care. Yesterday my emotions were in the toilet. Period plus hormones out of whack from six months of weight loss equals me telling my husband he doesn't have to get me Christmas gifts and then crying about it in the car. Not my proudest moment.

What has been positive is that on Saturday my husband and I went to the humane society near us to finish up Christmas gifts for my family. We are sinusitis a local dog for my parents, a bunny for my younger sister, and then sponsoring a dog in Baltimore for my older sister (local to her). We also have been toying with the idea of getting a second dog. Our little girl is somewhat picky about other dogs so we know it's going to be a process, but we think it's worth it so that she can have a playmate that can match her energy level.

While we were at the humane society we meet a dog who seemed like he would be an awesome match. Fairly high energy like our girl but also a little more mellow so could help temper her a little bit. The workers said he did good with other dogs and was quick to correct other dogs if he didn't like something but at an appropriate level. Unfortunately when we took him for a walk, he doesn't know how to be on a leash, was constantly trying to jump and but at the leash, and doesn't respond to his name.

Sunday we went to Animal Friends and sponsored the bunny for my sister. We meet one dog who is the boy version of our dog. High energy, gets very excited and can be overly stimulated, food motivated, a little overweight (our girl is good now after we had her on a diet), even both of them having Lyme's disease. Yesterday I went back to meet him in a less estimating room and on a calmer day. He is a sweet heart! He could definitely use more training but I could tell that like our girl he is smart and easily trainable. He also has made some good binds with the staff so I got to see that he can make those connections. He also did fairly well on a leash.

I know this is long wondering and I'm sorry. I'm just very hopeful that we may be able to give this guy a home. Here's been in a kennel for two years. It's made my heart feel better.
  • lizziequek
    lizziequek Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    yes , it's gotta be " non food" self care .

hoping to get a massage / treatment sometime in !
    tried new equipment at pilates-cadillac & chair which really helped me with my core work !
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    Decided to try sleep mask (sun wakes me up) and worked beautifully!! Now to train our cat. It to wake me up...😂
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I've changed how I live in 2018. Before I was self-indulgent caring, now I am self-aware caring. In practice this means behaving in ways that are best long-term instead of in the moment. I now exercise at minimum an hour each day, usually walking on treadmill where before exercise was avoided. I now plan meals, mindfully eat, and log calories where before I ate whatever, whenever, and as much as I wanted.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    I've changed how I live in 2018. Before I was self-indulgent caring, now I am self-aware caring. In practice this means behaving in ways that are best long-term instead of in the moment. I now exercise at minimum an hour each day, usually walking on treadmill. I now plan meals, mindfully eat, and log calories.

Awesome! And congratulations!!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Self care- lingering longer in bed. Opening the window a crack to hear the quietl woods (even thought it’s winter). Went out with my friend, drank Perrier in a wine glass, and talked for hours.
    @hroderick that’s very self aware of you- good philosophy.
    @skram01 I am wishing you great success in finding a doggie that suits you. You seem like such a caring person to put so much time and effort in choosing a furry family member.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Self-care: also lingering in bed
    Lots of walking
    Petting the cat
    Doing some light decluttering
    Excited to be hosting Christmas Brunch for my family :) Am doing a little prep each day, so It’s manageable :)
    Making art each day, if only 10-15 mins :)
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Yesterday I went to celebrate an early Christmas with my aunt and uncle; my nephew and brother-in-law were there as well. We had a lovely time, but the drive home was very stressful (they live an hour and a half a way).

When I got home I had four non-telemarketer phone messages, so I spent three hours talking on the phone with friends. I'm rarely on the phone, so this was really very enjoyable and just what I needed last night.

I really need to do some more basic self-care in 2019 and am looking forward to doing some planning after Christmas.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Did some last Christmas shopping for stocking stuffers with my dad. We have a tradition where we'd go to the strip on Christmas Eve and we haven't been able to go for the past couple years because of my work. This year is the first year in a while that our whole family is going to be together for the holiday in a long time so we decided to do our tradition yesterday instead of on Christmas Eve. I also prepared the egg nog for Christmas so it can have a few days to age.

Today, my husband and I are going to go meet some dogs. The local Greyhound recuse is having an event near us. Maybe we'll find on old reaching dog from Florida that we can give a nice home to!

In Friday I wrapped all the gifts. I love seeing gifts under the Christmas tree.i have thoroughly been enjoying having just the Christmas lights on with gifts under the tree and a Christmas candle going. I can not express how much I love giving gifts. It's torture that I have to wait two more days to give my husband his gifts. Either tonight or tomorrow, maybe both, we are going to drive around a couple communities to see the Christmas lights. We might also try and go over to my parents to hang out with my sister and her family for a bit so we can take advantage of then being here and visit more than one day.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Keeping busy so not to be bored and pour a cocktail. So instead, I baked two pies, making some cookies right now, poured some tea and doing some positive self talk. xo
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @RubyRed427
    Painting?
    Coloring books?
    Read a great book?
    Breathe in & out deeply & feel how soothing our own unique breath is to us!
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Yesterday's self-care was an hour-long walk with a dear friend. It was a beautiful winter day, and we never run out of things to talk about.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    z2u1zckrk66r.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Self-care:
    Decorated the house for Xmas Brunch over a few days

Lots of walks

Wrote down the values I want to live by

Kept tracking all that I eat & kept it under what I burn

Practicing gratefulness.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Self care: Christmas Eve dinner was noisy and slightly stressful, but I still kept smiling. I found that even if you feel aggravated or stressed with your loved ones, it’s possible to control your responses and count your blessings.

My poor sister kept trying to find some quiet in the house, and we all kept gravitating to her. She felt really anxious she said. Poor girl. One of the worst things you can do is harbor grudges from the past. It can be all consuming.

Self care: Let go of all that pain and grudges you may feel.
    Quote: Don’t look back. You’re not going that way.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Self-care:
    Exercising Daily

Tracking food & keeping under burned calories

Meditation audio: 5-12 mins a day

Relaxing in between busy times
  • PKM0515
    Options
    So many good ideas in this thread! :)
  • PKM0515
    Options
    This may sound strange in terms of self care, but I went to Staples and bought a plastic envelope (for receipts), a charger with a 6' cord for my Kindle, and a set of fine-tipped Sharpie markers.

I've also been thinking a lot about 2019. I have so many things I need to do as far as de-cluttering, home improvements, etc. However, I decided my main goals for 2019 are going to be fitness, cooking, and writing. These are things I really want/need to do more of.

• RubyRed427
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    This may sound strange in terms of self care, but I went to Staples and bought a plastic envelope (for receipts), a charger with a 6' cord for my Kindle, and a set of fine-tipped Sharpie markers.

I've also been thinking a lot about 2019. I have so many things I need to do as far as de-cluttering, home improvements, etc. However, I decided my main goals for 2019 are going to be fitness, cooking, and writing. These are things I really want/need to do more of.

I agree with you. There are lot of other things to do... but life should be fun and not always work. It should be satisfying so here’s to fitness, cooking and writing Cheers! Xo
  • PKM0515
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    SaraKim17 wrote: »

I agree with you. There are lot of other things to do... but life should be fun and not always work. It should be satisfying so here’s to fitness, cooking and writing Cheers! Xo

Thanks, Julie! :)