What do you put in your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm usually pretty basic -- just a little brown sugar and yogurt butter. I keep meaning to branch out into savory oatmeal, though.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    just finished a bowl of steel cut oats with a half a banana, a drizzle of maple syrup ,crushed walnuts, and a splash of skim milk

True it does keep me full for hours and just about 400 calories
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that some people are referring to how they make overnight oats and others are referring to what they put in cooked oats. For clarity maybe those that post from here on might say which method they are using?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, protein powder, cinnamon, salt, and fruit usually.

Sometimes pumpkin pie seasoning and pecans instead of cinnamon and fruit.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I haven't had oatmeal in a while. I either cook it in milk and add butter and brown sugar. Or I cook it in water and add over-easy eggs, bacon, potatoes, avocado, salsa.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weekdays, usually almond slivers and blue berries. If I have it on a weekend I like to make a nice savory one...I have a few different recipes...mushroom and carmelized onion is good...and I make this sort of thai inspired one with thai chiles, ginger, soy sauce, scallions, and top it with a fried egg.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Usually just brown sugar, sometimes with maple or honey and/or blueberries. If I have it at work then I add greek yogurt, apples or dried cherries, and cinnamon.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, ground flax/chia seeds, honey
  • tarekhamouda7445
    tarekhamouda7445 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, blueberries, black berries, strawberries, almond milk, some nuts.

Ever since I measured my blood sugar after Oatmeal with and without protein powder, I dropped the powder as it sky rocketed my BS, Oatmeal alone I stay below 100
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Depends, but I like them savory more than sweet, so an over-easy egg, veg chopped into small pieces, maybe some feta. This is cooked, I never do overnight oats.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Cheese - sometimes cheddar and sometimes American, zucchini, salt, pepper.
    I also find that with cheddar, chili powder goes well
    If I want sweet oatmeal, I use a tbsp of apple jelly and some cinnamon
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Most commonly: Peanut/almond butter and hot sauce.

When I want something sweet: cinnamon, maple syrup, and walnuts.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm diabetic so I avoid added sugars. Oatmeal doesn't usually spike my blood glucose, and steel cut oats spike me less than other types of oatmeal.

Steel cut oats made with milk instead of water, vanilla extract, cranberries, Granny Smith apples, walnuts, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg. Add Greek yogurt, almond butter, and fresh berries before eating. I like to add a few drops of different flavored extracts when I get bored.

In winter a fun alternative is Pumpkin spice oatmeal made with canned pumpkin, cranberries, and pumpkin spice.

Add toasted coconut and chopped dark chocolate for a dessert-like treat.

Savory oats: made with milk and v8 juice instead of water, with kielbasa, turnips, onion, garlic, Granny Smith apples, a little apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper, herbs.

Steel cut oats take longer than regular or instant oats but are great to do in an instant pot, and keep for quite a while after being cooked. I usually do four days' worth at one time. Leftover oatmeal is also good to mix with an egg in a muffin cup and bake.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    10g flax seeds
    150g homemade vanilla yogurt (no added sugar)
    50g of skim milk
    1 of whatever fruit I have hanging around
    1 hint of either nutmeg, cardamon, cinnamon or cacao powder (depends on the fruit :wink: )

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that some people are referring to how they make overnight oats and others are referring to what they put in cooked oats. For clarity maybe those that post from here on might say which method they are using?

I use the same ingredients for both, just less almond milk for overnight oats.
  • luckymushroom7
    luckymushroom7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup regular oats,1/3 cup skimmed milk&1TB.brown sugar in a small Tupperware-I prepare it at supper and let it soak for about 4 hours(I prefer more texture and don’t like them too soggy)I have this most nights for my bedtime snack.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oats with just a sprinkling of brown sugar. It is my breakfast everyday.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Salt and butter there is no other way of eating oatmeal:)
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

I use the same ingredients for both, just less almond milk for overnight oats.

That’s good to know. I had read that adding whey powder to hot liquids didn’t work out well (I haven’t tried it). Do you add whey powder to the cold liquid and cook the oats or add it after they are cooked?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I've cooked oats (I typically use a rice cooker) and then stirred in protein powder afterwards. No problems. Whey tends to mix the best, though.