What do you put in your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    It seems to me that some people are referring to how they make overnight oats and others are referring to what they put in cooked oats. For clarity maybe those that post from here on might say which method they are using?

I use the same ingredients for both, just less almond milk for overnight oats.

That’s good to know. I had read that adding whey powder to hot liquids didn’t work out well (I haven’t tried it). Do you add whey powder to the cold liquid and cook the oats or add it after they are cooked?

I add it first and it works out fine and is properly mixed through, but it could depend on what powder you use I suppose.
  • Marisela170
    Marisela170 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and banana
  • jamesjeffsmith
    jamesjeffsmith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    a couple tablespoons of pumpkin puree and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I've cooked oats (I typically use a rice cooker) and then stirred in protein powder afterwards. No problems. Whey tends to mix the best, though.

This.

And to add clarity to my earlier post, I cook my oats (old fashioned gluten free rolled oats) with frozen raspberries and top with greek yogurt. I've never made overnight oats.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is fairly small. I take rolled oats, add raisins, mix in skyr and leave in fridge until morning. Then add whatever fruit there is at the office.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Chocolate drops and peanut butter usually
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Snack that uses raw oats: https://littlebitsof.com/2015/01/pb2-protein-power-balls/

I tried it a few times with PB2 but now replace that with 64 g real peanut butter, which of course adds calories (and taste.)
  • BaVIP073
    BaVIP073 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats with soy milk, flax, and berries. I eat that for breakfast every day that I work.
  • CoffeeAndWanderlust
    Options
    Sometimes a smidge of a nut butter or honey with cinnamon. I like making my oatmeal with milk instead of water if I can.
  • Fitatelo
    Fitatelo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Pea milk, chia seeds, a pear or raspberries, and some almonds or granola is my go to.
  • nickswife9090
    nickswife9090 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m just calorie counting but I do banana
    Actually made a flourless banana bread with the two of them this morning
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Oats are for horses... however I love both butter and salt and pepper, or cheese in my grits. I'm also not adverse to going the sweet route and dropping some jelly or jam (also with butter). It's strange - but in my entire family, I'm the only one that can't stand oats(meal). Everybody else loves them and my dear old dad makes huge batches he'll snack on all day long.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    milk or yogurt, and sometimes some raisins, bananas, or flaxseed
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious, in some cases, what people mean by "oatmeal", analogous to the PP question about cooked vs. overnight. In response, some have even distinguished microwaved from cooked on the stove.

A few people have specified "steel cut" or "plain rolled oats" or some type/flavor of instant packet; most haven't. "Quick" vs. "Old-fashioned" is also a distinction, in plain oats.

FTR, I microwave my thick plain rolled oats, but eat them with many amendments, as mentioned above. I don't like the flavor of raw oats, so the overnight oats/not cooked option isn't very appealing, unless they're heated enough to get rid of the raw taste. At that point, I figure I might as well just cook them. The instant packets aren't as filling for me, seem quite sweet, and I prefer fresh add-ins vs. freeze dried.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it very often but I do keep a small canister at work and a jar of strawberry jelly for if I forget breakfast. Microwave a serving and a half of oats and add in one serving of the jelly. Simple and yummy.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Oats are for horses... however I love both butter and salt and pepper, or cheese in my grits. I'm also not adverse to going the sweet route and dropping some jelly or jam (also with butter). It's strange - but in my entire family, I'm the only one that can't stand oats(meal). Everybody else loves them and my dear old dad makes huge batches he'll snack on all day long.

I love oats, but this requires that I quote Samuel Johnson:

"Oats. n.s. [aten, Saxon.] A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people."
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm also curious, in some cases, what people mean by "oatmeal", analogous to the PP question about cooked vs. overnight. In response, some have even distinguished microwaved from cooked on the stove.

I prefer steel cut, so that is normally what I'm having if I have them. I prefer the texture.

I like to cook them in a rice cooker, but if not will do it on the stove.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats get served as a side grain dish with main meals. They get cooked on the stove top.

For a single serving of rolled oats, I cook them in the microwave.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

A few people have specified "steel cut" or "plain rolled oats" or some type/flavor of instant packet; most haven't. "Quick" vs. "Old-fashioned" is also a distinction, in plain oats.

FTR, I microwave my thick plain rolled oats, but eat them with many amendments, as mentioned above. I don't like the flavor of raw oats, so the overnight oats/not cooked option isn't very appealing, unless they're heated enough to get rid of the raw taste. At that point, I figure I might as well just cook them. The instant packets aren't as filling for me, seem quite sweet, and I prefer fresh add-ins vs. freeze dried.

When I cook rolled oats I do so on the stove. If I'm making steel cut it's the stove or the rice cooker. I also don't like overnight oats. The texture is all wrong for me, and it's not for lack of trying different amounts of liquid or adding chia seeds. As much as I like oatmeal, it's actually not at all filling to me.