I wonder if you can lose weight without training

Options
Hi everyone
I wonder if I can lose weight without workout. I dont want to do this. Do I need any special diet for this? But still, I really want to lose weight...
My current weight is 242 lbs.

Replies

• IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Yes. Enter your figures as sedentary, and track. But you have to manage cals.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    absolutely. i'm on the last "5lbs" and my exercise ability keeps going down due to injury but i still manage a modest loss (modest as I have little to go so it should be slow).

weight loss is mostly in the kitchen - eat fewer calories than you burn. that's it that's all.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    To add onto what everyone, but especially AnnPT said, strength of all types (including cardio-vascular fitness) is really helpful when you're recovering from an injury or surgery. Sure age plays a part as well, but if say, you hurt a limb or have surgery on a limb, it will be significantly easier to regain strength if your baseline was at least somewhat high. The same is true for other surgeries as well from what I can tell.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to exercise, no. I lost over 70lbs doing virtually nothing except eating less, so it's very possible.

However, like others have said, I would advise you to do some kind of strength training at least. I didn't, and I regret it. I'm smaller but flabby!

You might not feel like doing much at the start, but as you lose weight it will get easier. And like our lovely AnnPT said, it doesn't have to be something that's "difficult" - dancing, walking, playing with the dog/children all count. (One reason I never exercised was because I thought it would be time consuming and too much hard work. It needn't have been, if I'd had a better idea of what counts as 'exercise". :) )
  • SVZee
    SVZee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I wonder if I can lose weight without workout. I dont want to do this. Do I need any special diet for this? But still, I really want to lose weight...
    My current weight is 242 lbs.

Yes, I didn't exercise during my weight loss phase and just focused on reducing my calorie intake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    You don't HAVE to exercise, no. I lost over 70lbs doing virtually nothing except eating less, so it's very possible.

However, like others have said, I would advise you to do some kind of strength training at least. I didn't, and I regret it. I'm smaller but flabby!

You might not feel like doing much at the start, but as you lose weight it will get easier. And like our lovely AnnPT said, it doesn't have to be something that's "difficult" - dancing, walking, playing with the dog/children all count. (One reason I never exercised was because I thought it would be time consuming and too much hard work. It needn't have been, if I'd had a better idea of what counts as 'exercise". :) )

OP - I've seen lots of posts like this regretting not exercising while losing weight but not a single one wishing they had not exercised.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not required. Reducing calories is the key. Focus on food first making small changes one at a time. After the scale starts to drop you may find you are more interested in increasing movement. Note that you don’t have to workout hard or go to the gym to burn calories. Even a 10 minute walk at the park can be enjoyable while burning a few calories. Consider activity you already enjoy when you decide to add exercise.
  • pimpmyyasuo
    pimpmyyasuo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. I started to do a certain method described in an ebook and i like it. This ebook looks really valuable and we'll see how it will continue. I will wirte there about my progress.
    Wish me luck :smile:
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    SueSueDio wrote: »

OP - I've seen lots of posts like this regretting not exercising while losing weight but not a single one wishing they had not exercised.

Exactly! :)

Good luck with your program, OP - and don't be scared to do something different if you don't like it or get bored with it.
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 50lbs doing no "intentional" exercise. But, I've found that losing the weight has allowed me to do more "unintentional" exercise like gardening, raking leaves, etc. I just feel a little more energetic. I plan on starting an exercise program this Spring after I get a little closer to goal.

But, to answer your question, it's very possible to lose weight without exercise. I track my food and eat at a deficit. That's it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Exercise will help your health and help minimize muscle loss. Walking and a very basic strength training program are great places to start.