No Carb Diet

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating a meal, I'm generally trying to create some kind of balance between carbohydrates (like you, I tend to treat starchier vegetables/grains as optional within a meal -- with the exception of beans, which I categorize as a protein), fat, and higher protein foods. So if a meal is coming together and I need some fat, I'm reaching for something like an avocado or coconut milk. The relative processing of each isn't really a consideration, just like when I need some protein I may reach for some beans or seitan.

I wouldn't say it would work for everyone, but it's worked very well for me.

Yes, that's similar to me.

For me (since I eat meat), beans and lentils will be either a starchy side or protein depending on what else I'm eating with them.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I am very, very new to healthy eating so this is all really interesting. It's too bad the OP disappeared, they could have learned something.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    PigHerder wrote: »
    Blimey. :/ I mean.. ok, if you like eating that way and can see yourself doing it forever... But it's a hard pass from me. All I can think of is the inevitable constipation from the lack of fibre. And you know... the possibility of scurvy?

I usually eat about 150-180g of carbs a day. The weight is coming off just fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmm... I have been eating carnivore for nearly a year and ate a carnivore diet for several months of 2017 as well. There is definitely not constipation.

Also, I don't know any any cases of scurvy from people eating a carnivore diet. Can you find even a single such example?

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2517958/

10-14% of populations in developed countries present with vitamin C deficiency, which is what causes scurvy. It's certainly not as common as it once was but you're lying to yourself if you think you are not at risk. You're in a better position if you actually consume organ meats and offal but most people turn their nose up at that yucky stuff. The thing about diseases due to vitamin or nutrient deficiency is that they are not like an injury that sidelines you quickly and obviously; you feel and perform mostly fine until the malady has progressed far enough to cause considerable symptoms. Take care.

You have failed to provide an example of someone getting scurvy from a carnivore diet. Instead, your study shows:
    His dietary history revealed that he ate mostly TV dinners, canned soups, and canned stewed vegetables...

My intent was not to prove that a carnivore diet is a specific risk, rather that scurvy is a risk at all. Just because OP doesn't know anyone with scurvy doesn't mean scurvy does not occur. If you look at my second post, I clearly state that I cannot say whether OP is at elevated risk.

Yes, everyone knows that scurvy exists. I have yet to see any evidence of a single person getting scurvy while eating a zero carb carnivore diet. And yet, I've met people who have been eating that way for more than a decade without interruption and without micro-nutrient supplementation.

The cool thing about statistics is that, unless otherwise stated, if 10-14% of the population present with vitamin C deficiency, it is safe to say that 10-14% of people on a carnivore diet will present with a vitamin C deficiency as they are part of the general population sample. A carnivore diet does not remove you from this risk.

Perhaps I misunderstood you. You seemed to scoff at the notion that there was any risk of scurvy at all, not that there was elevated risk related to your specific WOE.

And my apologies for conflating you with the actual OP. I have referred to OP a couple of times where I was actually referring to you.

That is not how statistics work. A finding of some incidence of some characteristic in the overall population absolutely does not prove or even suggest that the incidence of the characteristic is the same in some subset of the population -- especially when you're talking about a fairly small incidence in the general population and a tiny subpopulation, so that there is no mathematical necessity that there must be some overlap between the set of those with the characteristic and those in the subpopulation.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Dumb. Do you realistically believe you can go no/low carb for the rest of your life? Then don't do it. Its like starting on "weight loss pills" - if you cant do it for life, you are setting yourself up for failure.

I did low carb for 24 hours. It was hell. I could hardly lift a 5lb dumb bell. Lesson learnt, never again.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    the problem with no carb diets are that they are not sustainable.
    There are some who have been eating a zero carb / carnivore diet for well over a decade. Just because it is not sustainable for you doesn't mean it isn't sustainable for anyone.

dakotababy wrote: »
    Do you realistically believe you can go no/low carb for the rest of your life?

Yes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    It doesn't appear that OP actually meant no carb. What she meant is hard to know without her coming back.

There are people who do low carb sustainably for long periods of time, and there's no reason you have to eat the same number of carbs when dieting and when not. I tend to like moderate carb at maintenance, but when I cut calories I cut carbs more than protein (which I keep consistent or increase) and fat (which I cut some, but cutting it less tends to make it easier for me), so most of the cut comes from carbs. It's not very low carb, but around 100-120 g. That others find a lower carb way of eating (or even keto) works for them in maintenance doesn't surprise me, even though it's not my choice.

I think you are right. Op probably meant no processed or refined carbs.

Low carb is sustainable. I've been doing keto for a few years, with most of the last year being close to carnivore. Low carbs suits some people very well.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    It doesn't appear that OP actually meant no carb. What she meant is hard to know without her coming back.

There are people who do low carb sustainably for long periods of time, and there's no reason you have to eat the same number of carbs when dieting and when not. I tend to like moderate carb at maintenance, but when I cut calories I cut carbs more than protein (which I keep consistent or increase) and fat (which I cut some, but cutting it less tends to make it easier for me), so most of the cut comes from carbs. It's not very low carb, but around 100-120 g. That others find a lower carb way of eating (or even keto) works for them in maintenance doesn't surprise me, even though it's not my choice.

I think you are right. Op probably meant no processed or refined carbs.

Given that she logged sweet tea (with carbs, the carbs necessarily came from added sugar), I think she meant no starchy carbs or something like that -- cutting out grains, tubers, maybe legumes. But we shall probably never know. ;-)
  • MineralDaGreat
    MineralDaGreat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wait what are carbs?
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Are you making the "is butter a carb?" joke or sincerely asking?