Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

For those who eat cottage cheese: what's your favorite brand?

Replies

• earlnabbyearlnabby Posts: 7,360Member Member Posts: 7,360Member Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I buy cottage cheese produced by local dairies. It helps that I live in a state that produces a lot of dairy. I find Dean's and Prairie Farms to be really good. They are both regional companies.

Dean's is good. I didn't know it was local to you (I guess it's semi local to me, as I'm in a neighboring state).

Other than that I'll get it at the farmers market.

IIRC they started in western PA/eastern Ohio (Amish country) and spread throughout the Great Lakes area because of the large number of dairy farms. They actually contract local dairies to produce under their name so it is local milk made into cottage cheese using Deans specifications and cultures.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Posts: 975Member Member Posts: 975Member Member
    Love hearing everyone's different preferences! My personal favorites are Good Culture and Kalona
  • bametelsbametels Posts: 934Member Member Posts: 934Member Member
  • ktekcktekc Posts: 839Member Member Posts: 839Member Member
  • johnslater461johnslater461 Posts: 449Member Member Posts: 449Member Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    LOL, wait until he finds out there's DHMO in all cottage cheese, too...

DHMO is no laughing matter. Did you know that it has a higher pH than any other acid?
  • bpetroskybpetrosky Posts: 3,693Member Member Posts: 3,693Member Member

DHMO is no laughing matter. Did you know that it has a higher pH than any other acid?

I did know that. Did you know it's also used as an industrial solvent and that inhaling it can kill you?
  • seltzermint555seltzermint555 Posts: 9,344Member Member Posts: 9,344Member Member
    Hiland or Daisy
  • nutmegoreonutmegoreo Posts: 14,477Member Member Posts: 14,477Member Member

Carbon dioxide, DHMO, and sodium bicarbonate....

So many toxins.
    edited December 2018
  • nutmegoreonutmegoreo Posts: 14,477Member Member Posts: 14,477Member Member
    I much prefer cottage cheese over greek yogurt, and I'm just curious to hear your favorite brands!

Usually prefer Lucerne. I have found some brands the curds are harder, and others are softer. The dry curd cottage cheese is passable when used in omelets, but I usually add salsa to it, to reduce the dry texture.
  • AT0M1CR00ST3RAT0M1CR00ST3R Posts: 17Member Member Posts: 17Member Member
    Knudsen tastes the best.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 2,941Member Member Posts: 2,941Member Member
    MrLimuzin wrote: »
    I like Daisy (regular, not the low fat).
    Daisy 4%

I like Daisy because it only has four or five ingredients and all of those ingredients are easy to pronounce, so I know it's natural. I've read ingredient lists on other brands that list crap like carbon dioxide and such. What the hell is carbon dioxide doing in cottage cheese??

It's a preservative...not sure what your logic is in considering carbon dioxide as unnatural...(><). What the hell are you doing expiring carbon dioxide? "Scary" chemical names/the "natural" argument just highlights society's general ignorance in chemistry
    glassyo wrote: »
    I like Daisy (regular, not the low fat).
    Daisy 4%

I like Daisy because it only has four or five ingredients and all of those ingredients are easy to pronounce, so I know it's natural. I've read ingredient lists on other brands that list crap like carbon dioxide and such. What the hell is carbon dioxide doing in cottage cheese??

I keep reading this but those reasons don't get any less stu...ill informed.

Sorry guys (not sorry) but I think it's silly that the stuff that comes out the exhaust pipe of my automobile be in my food. Eat natural food, not preservative-laden crap.

Are you maybe mixing up carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide?

Carbon dioxide is what we exhale.

I've not seen either listed on cottage cheese, personally.
  • Machka9Machka9 Posts: 14,305Member Member Posts: 14,305Member Member
    Bulla - Onion and chive. Plus I add salt.