Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

For those who eat cottage cheese: what's your favorite brand?

Replies

• Nony_MouseNony_Mouse Posts: 4,632Member Member Posts: 4,632Member Member
    MrLimuzin wrote: »
    I like Daisy (regular, not the low fat).
    Daisy 4%

I like Daisy because it only has four or five ingredients and all of those ingredients are easy to pronounce, so I know it's natural. I've read ingredient lists on other brands that list crap like carbon dioxide and such. What the hell is carbon dioxide doing in cottage cheese??

It's a preservative...not sure what your logic is in considering carbon dioxide as unnatural...(><). What the hell are you doing expiring carbon dioxide? "Scary" chemical names/the "natural" argument just highlights society's general ignorance in chemistry
    glassyo wrote: »
    Daisy 4%

I like Daisy because it only has four or five ingredients and all of those ingredients are easy to pronounce, so I know it's natural. I've read ingredient lists on other brands that list crap like carbon dioxide and such. What the hell is carbon dioxide doing in cottage cheese??

I keep reading this but those reasons don't get any less stu...ill informed.

Sorry guys (not sorry) but I think it's silly that the stuff that comes out the exhaust pipe of my automobile be in my food. Eat natural food, not preservative-laden crap.

Um, that would be carbon monoxide ;) Carbon dioxide is what we breath out, and plants breath in...
  • missysippy930missysippy930 Posts: 1,201Member Member Posts: 1,201Member Member
    I am definitely not an expert and never eat it plain but, I buy Old Home or Kemp’s (both local and available everywhere here, in one of the top 10 dairy producing states). I have purchased national brands, but really can’t discern any difference in taste and usually more expensive. Not a good judge of cottage cheese, because it’s not my favorite dairy product. It all pretty much tastes the same to me, but good protein source, and hubs eats it every day. He never said anything to me about brand preferences.

Go ahead cottage cheese lovers, woo me, I fully expect it 😁 not much of a expert cottage cheese palate, obviously!
    edited December 2018
  • greyhoundwalkergreyhoundwalker Posts: 222Member Member Posts: 222Member Member
    I'm in the UK and I love cottage cheese but only one brand Longley Farm, its soft and creamy. All the supermarket own brands are like hard little lumps swimming in milk - yeuch
  • earlnabbyearlnabby Posts: 7,360Member Member Posts: 7,360Member Member
    Knudsen tastes the best.

I have not seen their dairy in any stores but I can't make my special spiced cider without their "Just Cranberry" juice. 3 parts cider, 1 part Just Cranberry, a few cinnamon sticks, a few cloves, and brown sugar to taste. Simmer in a crock pot or on the stove until hot and the flavors have steeped into the cider. Serve as is or with rum.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Posts: 975Member Member Posts: 975Member Member
    Daisy 4%

It's a preservative...not sure what your logic is in considering carbon dioxide as unnatural...(><). What the hell are you doing expiring carbon dioxide? "Scary" chemical names/the "natural" argument just highlights society's general ignorance in chemistry
    glassyo wrote: »
    Daisy 4%

I keep reading this but those reasons don't get any less stu...ill informed.

Sorry guys (not sorry) but I think it's silly that the stuff that comes out the exhaust pipe of my automobile be in my food. Eat natural food, not preservative-laden crap.

As far as preservatives go, I think carbon dioxide is on the safer end. I do agree that it's an unnecessary additive though. And I do like Daisy's ingredient list, but the texture is not my favorite.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Bulla - Onion and chive. Plus I add salt.

Kemps has a line of onion + chive too. Such a great combo!
  • Keto_VampireKeto_Vampire Posts: 1,692Member Member Posts: 1,692Member Member
    Will have to review some of these brands mentioned eventually (unfortunately many are only available @ high end places in my area). Cool thread...kind of want to be back in PA to have access to Amish dairy products (huge bang for your buck in terms of quality; it's not labeled certified organic but assumptions with the Amish work ethic...)
    edited December 2018
  • margbarcomargbarco Posts: 101Member Member Posts: 101Member Member
    Trader Joe’s small curd 4%.
  • MelanieCN77MelanieCN77 Posts: 3,620Member Member Posts: 3,620Member Member
    Knudsen large curd 4%.
  • Lazy_Bones_1985Lazy_Bones_1985 Posts: 49Member Member Posts: 49Member Member
    Breakstone's 2% small curd. I sometimes mix 10g of Smucker's jam into it to make it sweet.
  • lisaepelllisaepell Posts: 87Member Member Posts: 87Member Member
    Breakstones 2% LivActive, but only the single serving cup version. I swear the consistency is different!xnwwybo1zkdj.png
    Breakstone's 2% small curd. I sometimes mix 10g of Smucker's jam into it to make it sweet.

Tried today and wasn't a fan!
  • 50sforme50sforme Posts: 15Member Member Posts: 15Member Member
    Hood brand, with chive. I won’t eat any other kind!
    50sforme wrote: »
    Hood brand, with chive. I won’t eat any other kind!

I've heard good things!
  • sweetbe44sweetbe44 Posts: 122Member, Premium Member Posts: 122Member, Premium Member
    Nordica, for us Canadians
  • cheriej2042cheriej2042 Posts: 134Member Member Posts: 134Member Member
    Knudsen fat free!
  • corinasue1143corinasue1143 Posts: 1,772Member Member Posts: 1,772Member Member
  • springlering62springlering62 Posts: 400Member Member Posts: 400Member Member
    I love the Lidl store brand. It is delicious, as is their hummus. I ran out and had to make a quick run to Walmart, where I got some Friendship brand, ugh. It was no comparison, and I threw it out. Next time I went to Lidl I got three tubs so I will always be a week “ahead” and won’t run out.

For some reason, the Lidl frozen blueberries are sweet as candy, so I always keep bags and bags in the freezer. Great over cottage cheese!
  • nighthawk584nighthawk584 Posts: 445Member Member Posts: 445Member Member
    local grocery store brand
    0075450097330_CL_hyvee_default_large.jpeg
  • brittanystebbins95brittanystebbins95 Posts: 224Member Member Posts: 224Member Member
    Western Wisconsinite here.... :)

This is the best cottage cheese I've ever eaten, hands down. Its amazing topped with peaches and honey, or chilli powder and black pepper. I could live off of this stuff.
    g5bo93emxle4.png