Unusual food that you have recorded on your daily food diary?

Options
Being from the southwest, I never had alligator before. Sure enough, it was listed as a food on the app. What unusual foods have you recorded?
hsqnas7jrl2t.jpg

Replies

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've eaten plenty of unusual foods in the past but those were when I wasn't logging, but I looked up all the weird foods I've eaten and they're all there in the database. My list of weird foods include crickets, whale meat, donkey meat and snake meat.
  • golfchess
    golfchess Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @swirlybee (rattle) snake meat is fairly common here and I have seen crickets on the food network. I am surprised that donkey meat was included. It must be a common food somewhere.
  • golfchess
    Options
    @swirlybee and here I thought horse meat was just Jack in the Box rumors from the 80s.
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Here, horse meat is not unusual. No the most usual, but we get it now and again. It can be found in any supermarket... as can rabbit meat and sheep testicles.
  • golfchess
    Options
    @M0n1KCR Your supermarket has a much more wide variety than mine.
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    golfchess wrote: »

Every supermarket here carries these kinds of meat... they are not unusual at all for us.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. There's really not much that's exotic that I would be logging since I have no intention of ever trying durian or natto.

Durian is very popular here. I also have not tried it.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Being from the southwest, I never had alligator before. Sure enough, it was listed as a food on the app. What unusual foods have you recorded?
    hsqnas7jrl2t.jpg

Florida gal here, we eat alligator pretty often. There’s a good fish shack 5 minutes from my house that serves it as an appetizer 😋, tastes like chicken!
  • golfchess
    Options
    @FL_Hiker That is where I had alligator. It satisfied my daily protein with one serving! I am not quite sure what kind of chicken you are eating in Florida.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,069 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. There's really not much that's exotic that I would be logging since I have no intention of ever trying durian or natto.

FTR, I had natto veggie maki (server tried to talk me out of ordering it: LOL!), and it was less scary tasting than I'd expected. I can't remember whether/how I logged it.

I believe in trying everything once . . . one of the nice things about being vegetarian is that I don't have to try the very scariest things, generally.

Other than natto, odd fruits are about as exotic as I've gotten (fresh rambutan, lychee, & logan; limequats (so good!); prickly pear; etc). On the veggie front, it's harder to think of things I consider exotic: Fiddleheads? Red amaranth "greens"? Bitter melon? Tindora? Dunno.
  • golfchess
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I had to do a google search on some of those veggies. I just enjoyed a carrot and hummus snack...not exotic at all.
  • golfchess
    Options
    @leanjogreen18 Burian seems to be a popular exotic food among the vegetarians.
  • golfchess
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll Except for maybe the food network, I have not heard/seen of either one of those.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

I have an acquaintance whose daughter loves natto. Yes he and his family live in the US and yes his wife is Japanese. That said, there are probably plenty of fruits and vegetables you haven't tried in part because they just aren't available where you live.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    M0n1KCR wrote: »

Every supermarket here carries these kinds of meat... they are not unusual at all for us.

I guess it depends on location. Those meats are only available in specialty stores or hunt it yourself where I'm at, and hunting is not allowed (metro area)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I think this is hard for me at least because how are we defining unusual? Things that are hard to find where we live? Things that we don't typically eat (regardless of whether or not they're hard to find)? Is it unusual because of the cooking style?

I've never had horse but I've lives in places where it's very easy to find. Veal is painfully difficult to get here but in Vienna it was delightfully easy to buy from the grocery store. Morels (my favorite mushroom) are really easy for me to get in season at farmers markets where I live right now but I can't imagine that's the case in a number of other cities. One of my favorite types of apples to include in applesauce is the Northern Spy variety which I can't find in stores but I can easily buy a tree of that cultivar (not that I have space for an apple tree but I definitely know people who do). Finger limes are a lot more exotic in the US (among other places) than they are in Australia.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Carambola aka starfruits, cherimoya, chayote, persimmons. Not unusual but for me it is. Also not unusual, large amounts of coffee creamer. Like I've received messages about what I'm using it for.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,069 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I have an acquaintance whose daughter loves natto. Yes he and his family live in the US and yes his wife is Japanese. That said, there are probably plenty of fruits and vegetables you haven't tried in part because they just aren't available where you live.

The strange veggies/fruits just don't seem to create same frisson as chicken feet or prairie oysters, though.