Unusual food that you have recorded on your daily food diary?

Options

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    golfchess wrote: »
    Being from the southwest, I never had alligator before. Sure enough, it was listed as a food on the app. What unusual foods have you recorded?

Some years ago now. I'd recorded seaweed pie once and it's not at all like any of the varieties you'll see if you're to search engine it.
  • golfchess
    golfchess Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @k8eekins What is seaweed pie? I am guessing that it is like a big sushi.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

It's similar to the German Schweinskopfsulze only NOT for it's 100% vegan, without the use of gelatin - strictly a specific breed of seaweed plus a myriad of what you'd like in your tomatoes & onions or peppers & onions salad + any choice of fish or a fish substitute. It's not a main course.

ETA: For accuracy, it's also similar to the Japanese crab kanten or konyaku, only seaweed + fish + onions with tomatoes or red/orange peppers salad.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    k8eekins wrote: »

It's similar to the German Schweinskopfsulze only NOT for it's 100% vegan, without the use of gelatin - strictly a specific breed of seaweed plus a myriad of what you'd like in your tomatoes & onions or peppers & onions salad + any choice of fish or a fish substitute. It's not a main course.

We use the agar seaweed ( green variety), which we also culture, farm and export. It's the seaweed that agar-agar stabilizing agent derives from. Sometimes manufacturers add it to ice cream as a thickening agent.

The seaweed is thoroughly cleaned prior to pouring hot water over them to melt the strands. As the hot liquid cools you would add your raw/cooked onions, tomatoes, seafood meat and coconut milk/cream (stir it around your pie dish to evenly distribute) prior to letting it set, like making Jell-O at home from crystals. Some of us choose to modernize it with a rootcrop base, similar to a savory for easier serving and eating.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Super fun post!

My semi weird things: (I’m in Africa and The Middle East a lot!)
    Molpani 🐛 worms -Zimbabwe
    Camel milk - UAE
    Camel Meat - Egypt
    Crocodile - Egypt
    Niku- Natto - NYC (Japanese restaurant - beef eye)

Still don’t like the taste of tripe, stomach or tongue though. Won’t have any of that again.

Still haven’t had grasshopper tacos or snake yet - it’s on my list!
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarian. There's really not much that's exotic that I would be logging since I have no intention of ever trying durian or natto.

I have an acquaintance whose daughter loves natto. Yes he and his family live in the US and yes his wife is Japanese. That said, there are probably plenty of fruits and vegetables you haven't tried in part because they just aren't available where you live.

The strange veggies/fruits just don't seem to create same frisson as chicken feet or prairie oysters, though.

Oh chicken feet. I ordered them and I couldn’t do it. My husband ate them for me. That’s love. Lol.
  • golfchess
    Options
    Hmm @mg07030 Since you spent time in southern Africa (Zimbabwe), I would think that termites would be on the list. I understand that it is high in protein and abundant.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarian. There's really not much that's exotic that I would be logging since I have no intention of ever trying durian or natto.

I have an acquaintance whose daughter loves natto. Yes he and his family live in the US and yes his wife is Japanese. That said, there are probably plenty of fruits and vegetables you haven't tried in part because they just aren't available where you live.

The strange veggies/fruits just don't seem to create same frisson as chicken feet or prairie oysters, though.

Oh chicken feet. I ordered them and I couldn’t do it. My husband ate them for me. That’s love. Lol.

Didnt think there was enough meat on chicken feet to even bother. I prefer Cows foot
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    Hmm @mg07030 Since you spent time in southern Africa (Zimbabwe), I would think that termites would be on the list. I understand that it is high in protein and abundant.

@golfchess - I didn’t see termites!! But I would have probably tried it lol! I’ll look next time!

• golfchess
    Options
    @mg07030 when ever I travel, I try to find the local unusual foods.
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    @mg07030 when ever I travel, I try to find the local unusual foods.
    @golfchess
    Love that!! Any plans coming up? 🙌🏻
  • golfchess
    Options
    @mg07030 I was in Europe this past summer so I will probably stay in my own hemisphere this summer. How about you?
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I haven't personally logged it, but when you search dog treats a surprising amount of entries pop up. Makes me wonder
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    @mg07030 I was in Europe this past summer so I will probably stay in my own hemisphere this summer. How about you?

@golfchess - we go to Italy every year - to see the in laws. (I always make the trip go through France so I have a mini vacay!)
    New places this year: India & Nepal! We got bamboozled in August/September due to Monsoon season. So - hopefully early Spring. Wonder what interesting food items I can add to our list! Lol

• Safari_Gal
    Options
    I haven't personally logged it, but when you search dog treats a surprising amount of entries pop up. Makes me wonder

@youcantflexcardio nooooooo waaayyyy 😱

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

As far as I can recall from childhood (when I was very curious and experimental), Milk Bone dog biscuits were not very good at all. I tried some fake-chocolate dog treats then, too: They didn't taste like chocolate, not even a little.

;););)
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chicken feet! I only tried them for the first time a few years ago. Not easy to get in NZ.
    I have had frog, crocodile (yummy), camel, snake, snails, ostrich, and other things I can't remember. Only snails in NZ, all the rest overseas. I like to try everything new.
    I've also had durian. It was nice.
  • golfchess
    edited December 2018
    Options

@youcantflexcardio A lot of dog biscuits are just cookies without sugar.
  • golfchess
    Options
    @AnnPT77 ha, there are worse foods that i have tried as a kid