Let's Do this! - 2019 Challenge - Be the best you can be!

Options

Replies

• Jaynee1961
    Jaynee1961 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    msarobix wrote: »
    @Jaynee1961 Hi, and welcome to the group. We can definitely help to keep you on track to meet your June deadline. Do you have a plan as to how you will get there?

I plan on following Keto plan . I’ve done whole 30 and paleo and they have worked . I also plan on using my Fitbit to keep me on track either walking outside or using a treadmill and light weights . I work nights so it will be a challenge but I want to exercise daily.
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @pinkmomma6 Don't be so hard on yourself. There will always be days those days. You can't expect to forgo every Celebration for the rest of your life just so that you can maintain your allotted calories.

The idea is moderation. Sticking to your calories 6 out of 7 days in a week and then splurging just a little on the 7th day is not a big deal. If you had told me that you at 4000 calories on the 7th day, I might say that you went a little over board, but an addition 500 calories above your normal isn't bad. Give yourself a pat on the back.

You need to think of your diet in terms of what you can live with FOREVER. I think one of the main reason that I have lost and regained EVERY time I have dieted is because I have done it in a way that I can't live with for the rest of my life.

Sure I can completely cut out sugar and white flour and rice for a few weeks to drop a few pounds, but can I eliminate it from my diet for the rest of my life. Probably not. If I had some sort of allergy or reaction to the foods I am eliminating then maybe, but I don't so why torture myself. I enjoy food, I just need to learn MODERATION.

This is one reason why I am not tracking my food right now, and just getting back to regular exercise. I am hoping that the increase in my calorie burn, and just paying closer attention to what I eat, will result in weight loss. I can't say it will get me to my goal weight but hopefully it will be a good start.
  • StacySunshine8
    StacySunshine8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have specific daily goals they are trying to meet? What challenges do you have planned for yourself in January?

Is anyone interested in a bit of a competition? You would be competing with yourself to push a little further during each challenge. Let me know and I will come up with the baseline rules.

Yes I have specific goals. I would like to get back up to 10k steps a day. 60 minutes of activity. Holidays threw me off track with traveling and eating. I seem to have picked up a cold and don’t feel like doing anything. Went home sick from work Thursday. Starting to feel a lil better now but not pushing myself.
  • StacySunshine8
    Options

pinkmomma6 wrote: »
    This is why we can’t celebrate fun things every day

Someone told me about rolling calories for the week. Like if one day you know is going to be bad, you eat less the next couple of days so it balances out the rest of the week. Make sense??
  • msarobix
    Options
    @Jaynee1961 I have also had good results with Whole 30. I plan on trying to eat most of my meals in this fashion, but I love sweets, so I don't want to completely eliminate them from my diet. I might do a Whole 30 cleanse sometime over the next several months, but I don't plan on it being a complete lifestyle for me. I just need to learn how to have a little bit of the sweets and not over do it.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,273 Member
    Options
    This morning I finally got back to Aquafit. We go to a 8 AM class on Saturday usually. It is harder to do something when it isn't part of your routine. I think this is another reason why holidays are hard. They disrupt our normal healthy routine. Last Saturday wasn't that bad though since I went to the Market (in Seattle that means the Pike Place Market) to shop for Christmas Eve dinner items. Then I cooked. So I got in my exercise. But this past week hasn't been good for exercise except for a bit of extra cleaning so it feels good to get back to it.

Tina, the day you described getting into digital journals was like one day I had this past week but I got stuck in Genealogy. I took one family back many generations and finally found out where they came from before America. I had dropped my daughter off at work but had breakfast with her at an espresso bar near where she works. Then once I got home forgot to eat at all until my husband got home.

Yesterday the only thing I did healthy was make split pea soup. It was good.

Today I am planning on being active cleaning, drinking water, and eating healthy. So glad I started it off with exercise. I want to also get a new spreadsheet set up for tracking calories and activity for 2019. I also read everyone's posts on here since I posted earlier and before posting myself. Good for us starting now and not waiting for the new year.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,273 Member
    Options
    Hi @KeriA, I can tell you that the Apple Watch is awesome, but it is pricy. It is much more than a pedometer, which is why I like it so much more. I just did my first ECG on it tonight. I love technology, LOL!

Drinking enough water is another area that I need to improve. Even when I keep a glass of water next to me I always seem to forget.

Does anyone have any tricks that they have used to drink more water?

I did spend some time checking the Apple Watch out online. Still hoping I will find my fitbit when I clean up more this weekend.
  • BackInSoFL
    BackInSoFL Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've been off/on MFP since 2012. I'd like to get to a healthy weight and maintain and not be so off/on. I most recently added heavy lifting, it really recomposed my body and reduced body fat. Then I had surgery and haven't lifted again. I'd like to add heavy lifting back, but for now I want to lose pounds. I am walking one mile 5 days per week, just to get the day started. Eating the ZERO belly diet, no added sugar and fiber g more than total sugar g. Using TDEE less 20% for calorie count. I have a Fitbit Blaze. I like the data it provides but sometimes it is way too much data.

Goals for 2019
    Lose 0.5 - 1.0 lbs per week
    Add more healthy recipes to the weekly rotation.
    Do a better job at plan ahead meals.
    Add heavy lifting once I lose 20 pounds.
    Make eating choices that will change habits for the long term.

My weakness is not being prepared, not having a healthy snack ready if I miss a meal for some reason. Anyone have a go to snack that is easy to keep in the pantry?

Friend me! Good luck everyone.
    Kathy
  • StacySunshine8
    Options
    BackInSoFL wrote: »
    Eating the ZERO belly diet, no added sugar and fiber g more than total sugar g.

I had to look up zerobelly diet. A lot of what I read made sense but wondering if you eat salads and if so what kind of dressing?
  • msarobix
    Options
    KeriA wrote: »
    Tina, the day you described getting into digital journals was like one day I had this past week but I got stuck in Genealogy. I took one family back many generations and finally found out where they came from before America. I had dropped my daughter off at work but had breakfast with her at an espresso bar near where she works. Then once I got home forgot to eat at all until my husband got home.

It is so easy to do. LOL! I have a feeling that the next few days are going to be similar for me. A friend of mine just got me into MineCraft, and I have a feeling that is going to be a blackhole time suck. I still need to finish my journal set up, and also one for my husband before January 1. I am nearly done with his because he wanted something really basic. Mine is going to take a bit more time and thought. But by doing his first I am getting this ideas before tackling my project and then having to do it all over again.
  • msarobix
    Options
    @BackInSoFL Welcome to the group! I love your goals for 2019. I really need to focus on both of these things.

Add more healthy recipes to the weekly rotation.
    Make eating choices that will change habits for the long term.

Which reminds me, maybe we can share some recipes here. When we try a new recipe and we LOVE it we should share it. For that matter, why don't we share our favorite Healthy Recipe now. I will pick one out tomorrow and post it here. I need to go play MineCraft now!
  • StacySunshine8
    Options
    Which reminds me, maybe we can share some recipes here. When we try a new recipe and we LOVE it we should share it. For that matter, why don't we share our favorite Healthy Recipe now. I will pick one out tomorrow and post it here.

I love this idea!!!
  • StacySunshine8
    Options
    Love this cabbage soup recipe. Low carb. Low fat. Low calorie. It’s warm and fills me up. I’ll make a big pot and freeze into single servings.
  • BackInSoFL
    Options
    Eating the ZERO belly diet, no added sugar and fiber g more than total sugar g.

I had to look up zerobelly diet. A lot of what I read made sense but wondering if you eat salads and if so what kind of dressing?

I do eat salads, usually spinach, vegis and a lean protein, I make them in a pint mason jar with dressing on the bottom. Dressing is homemade 1:3 olive oil & flavored vinegar with salt pepper & small amount of Dijon mustard to bring it together. The ZERO belly recipes omit gluten and dairy since many have trouble digesting. I don't omit, just moderate. I am post menopausal and need the calcium, I don't take vitamins (no confidence in the "guaranteed analysis") but try to get nutrients from my diet.

I love soup! Thanks for sharing.
  • StacySunshine8
    Options

I agree with nutrients from diet. I love spinach instead of lettuce. Lettuce is just an empty filler. Spinach is good for you. And before spinach goes bad, I’ll through it in a soup. So none gets wasted.

I’m going to try your dressing recipe. Sounds yummy!!!
    Dressing is homemade 1:3 olive oil & flavored vinegar with salt pepper & small amount of Dijon mustard to bring it together.

• msarobix
    Options
    One of my most favorite FAST meals is the Portobello Pizza. I always pick up Portobello Mushrooms each week at the grocery store and it is easy to keep the other ingredients on hand for a quick meal option.

Portobello Pizza
    "2 large Portobello Mushroom Caps
    garlic salt or powder
    dried oregano (powder or crushed)
    pizza Sauce
    mozzarella cheese
    turkey pepperoni
    other veggie toppings of your choice
  • BackInSoFL
    Options
    One of my most favorite FAST meals is the Portobello Pizza. I always pick up Portobello Mushrooms each week at the grocery store and it is easy to keep the other ingredients on hand for a quick meal option.

I am going to try this! Mushrooms are sooo good for you!

• jennicase
    jennicase Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I came across this on the boards and would love to join! I have lost quite a bit of weight with diet but haven’t been doing ton of exercise due to a surgery and physical therapy. I’ve been released from PT and I believe I’m ready to get back to a routine that includes working out, I just need help with accountability!
    I have an Apple Watch and am actually going to go upgrade to a new one today. What do I need to provide to get on board with that connection?

Looking forward to a healthy new year!!!!
  • StacySunshine8
    Options

Portobello Pizza
    "2 large Portobello Mushroom Caps
    garlic salt or powder
    dried oregano (powder or crushed)
    pizza Sauce
    mozzarella cheese
    turkey pepperoni
    other veggie toppings of your choice

Omgosh that sounds easy and delicious!! I love mushrooms!! I think this would be one recipe that could convert easily to low carb (boyfriend) and low fat (me). We could build our own. 😋
  • msarobix
    Options
    Hi @jennicase, Welcome to the group.

I will send you a private message to get connected on the Apple Watch.

For that matter, I think anyone who has an Apple Watch and wants to connect with other Challenge members should do so. Here is the current list of Apple Watch users. Please feel free to connect with one another to share your activity, but don't be offended if someone prefers not to share.

MsArobix
    StacySunshine8
    jhonnamitchell618
    LoonyHiker
    jennicase

I will try to keep this list updated as more members are added.