Let's Do this! - 2019 Challenge - Be the best you can be!

Options

Replies

• jennymarie07
    jennymarie07 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I would love to join you. I don't have a apple watch but do track everything with my Samsung health app. I am have had problems with my weight all my life, but I am tired of always being in pain and tired, So have decided this is the year I am going to take my life and my body back
  • Smilely3
    Smilely3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year 2019,🎉🎉🎉

A new year with a chance to make new and healthier decisions each day. This year my health resolution is to lose 25lbs and be healthier on a holistic level. I started my 21 day daniel fast on 12/26/18 to deepen my level of commitment to my faith and healthy by denying myself of unhealthy distractions, foods, and practices. I'm happy to report I feel more peaceful, healthier, and focused. I have also lost 3lbs.🎉🎉 My weight has been stagnate for awhile. Day 9 down 12 to go.🎉🎉
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It was a busy day at the office today, but of course I got up this morning and did a Peloton Running workout. Actual, I did the same workout twice. It was only a 20 minute workout and I knew I wanted to run longer than 20 minutes. I had planned on doing two different workouts, but then after completing the first one I just decided to do it again. Other then a little bit of walking I ran the entire time.

How is everyone doing so far. This thread has been quiet today. Have you started your spreadsheets or other form of tracking? Have you made a plan as to how you will get from where you are today to your ultimate goal.

If you don’t have a plan yet, I highly recommend it. You wouldn’t start a journey across the country with out a map or a plan on where you are going and how you are going to get there, so why would do it with your exercise and weight loss.

Start by determining your ultimate goal, then create some milestone points that will get you a little further to that goal, then break it down even further into small manageable items that will get help you get to your ultimate goal.

I hope everyone is hanging in there. It is only day 3, and we have a long way to go so don’t peter out just yet.

Have a great evening and I will check in tomorrow evening.

@loonyhiker I feel the same way, since I know I have to be accountable even if it is just to myself I have decided that I just need to DO IT! Also, I feel really proud of myself when I do.
  • lilsis2011
    lilsis2011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like to join your group it sounds interesting, and i could use the encouragement.....
    I am following the 16/8 i-f hours. Noon -8.
  • fstopsphotography
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Not sure if I’m too late or if I can still join the challenge. I love this challenge idea because it’s supportive not competitive and encourages progress from level.

This year my goals are:
    Pay attention to my diet
    Run my first 5k
    Be consistent with my workouts
    Practice yoga min 4 days a week
    Meditate daily

I’ve found every-time I get on board with my goals it falls apart because of my full time job or people being discouraging and telling me I’m wasting my time and not getting results because of lack of consistency. Not this year.
    It’s my responsibility to find the time and be consistent I’ve put into place a routine which includes meal preps for the week and schedules for workouts and yoga.
    Now to do the work and stay on track!
  • loonyhiker
    loonyhiker Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am keeping track of my steps, distance and sugar intake in my bullet journal. I keep an excel spreadsheet of my distance each day (which I usually fill out at the end of the month using my bullet journal entries). I have been doing this for about 4 years and like comparing previous years totals to what I’m doing now. (I’m a numbers gal and I like comparing stats! 😂)
  • BackInSoFL
    BackInSoFL Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks msarobix, the idea of a concrete plan is sound. I need to identify all the problems I have and create steps to overcome each of them. For me #1 is in the kitchen, I am going to do some meal prep this weekend. I'd like to get a few go-to meals and get my fruit & veg washed and ready to go for the work week. From shopping to prep and cooking, this needs to be a habit for me.

I've got a fitbit blaze that I've been tracking my steps. (I am not sure how accurate my stride is -but it's all an estimate). I use the TDEE weight loss spreadsheet that Heybales posted to MFP - to calculate my calorie deficit, so I am going to add a tab for my steps.

Have a good weekend, everyone!
  • Smilely3
    Smilely3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just completed my pilates workout for the day big deal since recovering from a back injury. Making my morning breakfast smoothie.
    Questions for my vegetarians and vegans:
    1.How do you handle ordering when eating out?
    2.Do you only eat a vegan friendly restaraunts?
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    Hi! I want to encourage all to achieving our goals in 2019! We are finishing up a vacation and really looking forward to getting back to my normrmal workout and food!
  • msarobix
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Work was super busy today, but even though I was tired after work I still got my grocery shopping done. So I feel accomplished just by doing that. I did do a walking workout this morning as well, which was amazing. Since I started running again, I find it very difficult to keep the slower pace of walking, I want to pick it up the pace and run, but I know my body has to re-adjust to the stresses of running and I don’t want to increase my running distance or days too quickly, because then there is potential of developing an overuse injury, which will prevent me from running and maybe even walking.

I don’t have anything special planned for this weekend, just a few things around the house. I plan on running both tomorrow and Sunday, but the Sunday workout will be a walking workout if I feel I need a longer rest after the Saturday run.

@lilsis2011 Welcome to the group. What is 16/8 if hours. Noon -8.

@fstopsphotography Welcome, it is NEVER too late to join. I have been in other challenges that compete to see who can loose the most weight or who can travel the most steps, but I am sure we are all at different levels, and even if we really want to do the same workouts that the next person is doing we can’t always do that without injuring ourselves. So I though if we competed with ourselves and just tried to be better than we were yesterday than no matter where we start we will be making improvements in ourselves.

I completely agree about having a plan. If you can schedule a doctors appointment, why not schedule your workout. I find when I have a plan, and don’t let LIFE trample it, then I am more likely to reach my goals. Sometimes it does get hard, but the key is when/if that happens you get right back on track just as soon as possible.

@loonyhiker I am very much the same way. I always want to see that I am making improvements in what I have been doing. Sometimes I don’t always see that on my spreadsheet, but it is motivation to push myself just a little bit more at times.

@BackinSoFl I like to meal prep on the weekends also. I just went to the grocery store this evening so I have loads of veggies to cut up and a couple of dishes to prepare for the week. I also have a couple of quick dishes that I can throw together during the week if I just don’t feel like having one of the prepared meals. That is also a big thing for me. I need to have an alternative meal available to me just in case I don’t feel like eating what was on the meal plan for the day. If I don’t do this I will typically end up eating something unhealthy.

@Smilely3 Sorry I can’t help you with the vegetarian question, but if you don’t get an answer here I can always ask one of my nieces what they do. They are both vegetarian but I haven’t gone out to eat with them since they became vegetarian.

@Fitness327wk Vacations are great, but they can wreck havoc on your diet and fitness routine. When I went to Punta Cana awhile back I made sure to get up and hit the gym a the resort before going out to have fun for the day. Sometimes that meant going to bed a little bit earlier so that I could get up earlier in order to get a workout in before an early departure time for an excursion.
  • fstopsphotography
    Options
    I Woke up this morning and really didn’t want to workout.. old habits die hard I guess. Had my morning cup of coffee and managed to power through. It ended up being a great workout session! Motivation seems to be like a butterfly, it comes and lands on your shoulder and life is great you’re motivated and ready to go and then it flys away..
    At this point I’m working hard at making my workouts a habit.
    How does everyone else find inspiration/motivation to keep going when your butterfly has flown away?
  • msarobix
    Options
    @fstopsphotography Awhile back, I was in the habit of getting up 45-60 minutes before my workout time so that I could sit down, have a cup of coffee and wake up before my workout. It definitely helped me push a little bit harder in my workout. However, that meant I had to be up by 4 am, 4 hours before I needed to be at work and it also meant I was going to bed between 8-9 pm in order to get 7-8 hours of sleep.

I finally got to the point that I really didn’t want to go to bet that early and gave up the coffee first thing in the morning in lieu of a bit of extra sleep. I still get up early 4:40 am, but I spend a few extra minutes snuggling with my cat before I actually get out of bet. I don’t really miss the coffee first thing, but I am ready for it by the time I get to the office.

I personally find a lot of motivation by motivating other people, and sharing my progress. I am most motivated, when I feel as if I need to be accountable to someone. Whether it is by being someone else’s support system or to show that I am right there with them going that extra mile towards my own goals. That is the main reason I started this thread.

I have participated in other supportive challenge in the past, and those are the times that I really stayed on track and made significant progress towards my goals.

Another thing that keeps me motivated and on track is having a plan. When I spend a bit of time one day a week to schedule my workouts and create a meal plan for coming week it is so much easier to just execute that plan then to plan on the go.

And yes, I plan out my workouts ahead of time. Before I get up in the morning I know what type of workout I will be doing and approximately how long it will be. If I get into the workout and I decide to do more, then I go for it, but I know my minimum threshold before I even get started. Sometimes I have to push myself to get to that minimum threshold, but by the time I get there I am feel very accomplished and tend to go further. If I don’t have a plan before I wake up, I have a tendency to find excuses as to why I can’t or won’t get up to workout. This way I don’t have to think I just get up and go through the motions.
  • loonyhiker
    loonyhiker Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How does everyone else find inspiration/motivation to keep going when your butterfly has flown away?

I know being a part of this group helps.

I also have a couple of pictures from when I was younger and thinner. When I feel discouraged or just plain lazy, I pull them out and look at them. I remind myself that I can’t do anything about the age thing but I can do something about my weight. This is a conscious decision that I have control over. This is usually a kick in the butt for me.

• msarobix
    Options
    loonyhiker wrote: »
    I also have a couple of pictures from when I was younger and thinner. When I feel discouraged or just plain lazy, I pull them out and look at them. I remind myself that I can’t do anything about the age thing but I can do something about my weight. This is a conscious decision that I have control over. This is usually a kick in the butt for me.

This is so true. I also have pictures when I was much younger and much thinner. I would absolutely LOVE if I could get back to that weight. Not sure I would want to go back to that age though. LOL!
  • lizshines
    lizshines Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all our new folks! Thought I'd take a moment to check in this morning before getting on with my weekend :smile:

@jennymarie07 I can so relate to what you said about being tired of being tired and not feeling well... I'm so looking forward to being fitter and having more energy

@NavyBrat76 oh the morons on the road... i drive a long commute to work, into Philadelphia and I'm so grateful they allow us to work from home a few days a week now... podcasts and music help but... it's a challenge!

@embodybliss You know I try to check in with myself before meals as well and aim to be more mindful and intuitive with my eating. Even drinking water beforehand to help regulate my appetite.. it really makes a difference!

@fstopsphotography ah meal prep, going to try to go some of that this weekend, trying to be more of a planner even if that's not usually my way. As far as butterflies... I wish I knew! when I'm 'ON' I can do almost anything but when I'm not, it's such an uphill battle... i'm just getting started after years of not taking care of myself... and I've lost weight before but I wasn't very kind to myself in the process so applying a different approach now... I'm trying to tell myself that whether I'm motivated, or not, just do it anyway. Hoping this group will help as well :wink:

@Smilely3 Not a vegan or a vegetarian but I tend to try to eat more veggie centered when out. I see more options to cater to those dietary preferences out there, you may be surprised if you look. And you can always ask to have something modified... a salad is always a nice choice, leave out what you don't like/can't have and have another veggie on the side. let us know how it goes!

I'm not tracking my steps at the moment so can't join in on the challenge - hopefully it's helping you folks out there! Not much of a tracker and right now am keeping it simple just focusing on my daily efforts.

I'm very much a rebel and have often tried to do things that don't really fit my personality that then don't really work. So right now I'm kinda trying things on for size... trying to do different things and not make mistakes I've made in the past. These past few days have been good, I've eaten more salads (3 out of 4 days this year, boom, lol) had some NSVs, listened to my body more, caught myself not eating for too long and ATE SOMETHING, a little more water (I keep at it with water, oh man, none yet today though!)... Solid start with taking some actions. I haven't done much with exercise yet, short of 11 minutes on the WII Fit which seems silly but symbolically is still a win. So looking to get on the treadmill since I'm blessed to have one, at least for a walk. So some exercise and meal planning is the intention right now.

Wishing you all a fabulous weekend! Take good care of yourselves! :smiley:
  • msarobix
    Options
    Looks like I missed a bunch of posted the other day. Not sure how that happened. So sorry about that.

@jennymarie07 Welcome. So glad you have decided to join our group. Looking forward to getting to know you and helping you over come your challenges.

@Smilely3, Congratulations on your weight loss so far during your fast. That is totally awesome. You will have to give us your full report on how the entire fast went when it is all over.

@navybrat76 Welcome to the group. It sounds like we have a lot of the same goals for 2019. I too want to read more. I use to read up to 52 books a year, but the past couple of years I haven’t done much reading. I think I knocked out 11 books last year and 6 were with in the last few months. Looking forward to getting to know you better this year.

@embodybliss Welcome to you as well. I agree, if your life get busy shorter more intense workouts might be in order. For awhile I was trying to do the 15 minute HIIT training workouts. These workouts are all over the place, and they are very high intensity. I know I will eventually need to work some of this type of workout back into my schedule, but for now I am focusing on building up my running endurance again. I expect that to take the next couple of months, but then I plan to add strength training and HIIT workouts later this year.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    January Goals:
    - Weigh in weekly (Monday’s)
    - Dry January No Wine
    - Barre workout three times a week
    - Zone diet

I enjoy having wine while I cook and have dinner with my hubby. Waste of ALOT of calories!!! Instead I bought a glass teapot for the stove with flowering pods. I feel like it’s a treat and a great swap from drinking wine.

All the best to everyone!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    I Woke up this morning and really didn’t want to workout.. old habits die hard I guess. Had my morning cup of coffee and managed to power through. It ended up being a great workout session! Motivation seems to be like a butterfly, it comes and lands on your shoulder and life is great you’re motivated and ready to go and then it flys away..
    At this point I’m working hard at making my workouts a habit.

I always think when I am not motivated to workout of how much better I will feel afterward. I have never said to myself once, wow, I wish I wouldn’t have worked out. Though I have said, I wish I wouldn’t have ate that or drank that extra glass of wine. It also motivates me to track my exercise. I have a garmin that tracks my daily totals and they have an app where you can compete against others. If your only 5K away it helps me push!