Let's Do this! - 2019 Challenge - Be the best you can be!

Replies

• BackInSoFL
    BackInSoFL Posts: 82 Member
    Ok I have encounter my 1st problem. I got in all my water yesterday. But then didnt get a good nights sleep because I was up and down to the bathroom all night.

Is ther a specific time you all stop drinking water. I think I had my last drink at 9:30 or does it eventually level out?

I stop at 3PM, so I get started right after my morning walk, otherwise I am up all night too. I drink water with all my meals too.
  • loonyhiker
    loonyhiker Posts: 81 Member
    Well, y’all helped me again. I was so tired and trying to keep awake during the Clemson game. Then I realized I was 250 steps shy of my 10000 steps! So I started walking in place even though hubby was laughing at me. I got my steps in and I was able to stay awake for the whole game!

I know I won’t drink enough water while I’m in Florida. I hate the taste of their water and I don’t buy water. I drink lots of diet soda.But when I get home, no diet soda.
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    @loonyhiker I think it is awesome that you were able to get 7000 steps during your travel day. That is impressive. I also find myself walking in place at the end of the night if I am close to a milestone for the day. Way to go!
  • BackInSoFL
    loonyhiker wrote: »

I know I won’t drink enough water while I’m in Florida. I hate the taste of their water and I don’t buy water. I drink lots of diet soda.But when I get home, no diet soda.

City water is dreadful, especially along the coasts. Try grocery store brand gallon drinking water or spring water moderately priced, and you can fill a souvenir water bottle lol.

• msarobix
    Hi Everyone,

How is your week going? Mine is going to be a busy one. We are trying to close the books for 2018 by the end of the week, which means, in an effort to not have to work this weekend, there could be a couple of late nights. I am totally okay with this especially since my last job I was working 60-80 hours almost all year.

Today was a running day for me. I did take it a bit slower with more walk breaks than Sunday. I just knew I didn’t want to be feeling exhausted like I did yesterday.

Prior to today, I had been doing pretty good on my diet, but today I have been craving sweets all day. I guess you could say I caved and ate a Fun Sized bag of peanut M&M’s. Honestly, I will never completely give up sweets, I just know I need to be able to have a treat ever now and then in moderation. So because I have eaten well for the past 5 days or so I decided this could be my treat today.
  • mynacha73
    mynacha73 Posts: 120 Member
    So, I'm going to have to change up my goals. I was on a great track for the first three days of January, then my foot started aching. I thought I had an over-use injury, and I rested, iced, and planned which races I'd sign up for. My foot got worse! I got some bad news from the doctor, and it seems that there is significant degeneration in my joints and soft tissue. There is treatment and I'm doing everything I need to do but walking from my car to my office is brutal. I can still do pilates, but I have no idea what cardio I can do that doesn't involve bending my foot. Anyone have any ideas? (Swimming won't work for me.) I'm paying attention to my food and trying to keep my spirits up. And I look forward to getting back to the rest of the challenge as we figure out how to manage this.
  • stefannielynne91
    stefannielynne91 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2019
    This sounds like just want I need! A group of woman that need/give motivation
    I'm in ( starting kinda late )
    My goals for this year is to fit in the jeans I wore before my kids were born.
    I'm at 194 pounds now I'd like to get to 160.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    Ok I have encounter my 1st problem. I got in all my water yesterday. But then didnt get a good nights sleep because I was up and down to the bathroom all night.

Is ther a specific time you all stop drinking water. I think I had my last drink at 9:30 or does it eventually level out?

From what I have heard this will lessen once your body gets used to the upped water intake. If you can I would ride this out and things will improve both from more water and your body adjusting to it.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    @mynacha73 sorry to hear about this bad news. I am not sure why you say swimming is out. I do alot of aquafit. Last night we had a substitute. She does deep water work and she had us doing alot using noodles and of course there are water weights which use resistance. Aquafit is great core work and you could focus on arms and not put weight on your foot or use it. I have to be careful with my left knee due to arthritis. However I am suspecting that you may not be able to do it for what ever reason you say swimming is out.

Tina, my week is busy too both at work and at home. However it hasn't been bad in terms of my goals. I got exercise yesterday and had mad lamb shank and vegetables in the crock pot so had a good healthy meal at home despite getting home late form the Y. I made another meal at home tonight and kept to the plan during the day.

As to water and night time I actually drink alot of my water later in the day and don't have a problem since my body is used to that. I try to drink more in the morning but with coffee and tea I just don't get around to it. However when I start to drink more than I am used to I do need to go more for a time while my body adjusts to the change.
  • loonyhiker
    BackInSoFL wrote: »
    City water is dreadful, especially along the coasts. Try grocery store brand gallon drinking water or spring water moderately priced, and you can fill a souvenir water bottle lol.
    Thanks! That is a great idea.
  • loonyhiker
    I really got a lot of walking done yesterday to make up for our travel day and some unhealthy eating I’ve been doing.

Today we are going to do a Yuengling brewery tour and then head to Apollo Beach to look for manatees.
  • Smilely3
    Smilely3 Posts: 21 Member
    😣😔Frustrated could use some tips. In 2016 I gained 30 pounds. I managed to lose 25lbs in 2017. I needed to lose 25lbs before the weight gain. I can't seem to lose the last 25lbs. I lose 3lbs at the most and it resurfaces. Any tips for losing the weight and keeping it off the healthy way?
  • BackInSoFL
    Smilely3 wrote: »
    😣😔Frustrated could use some tips. In 2016 I gained 30 pounds. I managed to lose 25lbs in 2017. I needed to lose 25lbs before the weight gain. I can't seem to lose the last 25lbs. I lose 3lbs at the most and it resurfaces. Any tips for losing the weight and keeping it off the healthy way?

I have the same frustrations. I am looking to change my bad habits for good. I am trying to make changes in the kitchen, starting with healthy recipes and make ahead meals. Shopping is a problem too, I am doing better reading labels and finding brands and products that will meet the healthy requirements that are also tasty. Right now I am not eating added sugar. Adding more fruit and veg & fiber. Good luck.
  • BackInSoFL
    mynacha73 wrote: »
    I can still do pilates, but I have no idea what cardio I can do that doesn't involve bending my foot. Anyone have any ideas? (Swimming won't work for me.) I'm paying attention to my food and trying to keep my spirits up. And I look forward to getting back to the rest of the challenge as we figure out how to manage this.

Maybe rowing? I used to have a rowing machine, I don't remember the foot placement.
  • BackInSoFL
    loonyhiker wrote: »
    I really got a lot of walking done yesterday to make up for our travel day and some unhealthy eating I’ve been doing.

Today we are going to do a Yuengling brewery tour and then head to Apollo Beach to look for manatees.

Enjoy yourself!
  • msarobix
    Hi Everyone,

Another busy day at the office. I am just now sitting down for the evening. I can be thankful that I got up this morning and did my walking workout. I did interval inclines to boost the intensity without being too extreme. It was a good workout, but I probably could have worked a bit harder.

However, this evening I am feeling a little run down. My husband has been sick for over 2 weeks with a cold and I hope I am not getting that. I took some vitamin C tonight in hopes that it will help boost my immune system and I will walk up tomorrow feeling back to 100%.

@mynacha73, I am so sorry to hear that you have a foot injury that will prevent you from walking. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a cardio exercise that can be done without being on your feet, but I will give it a bit more thought. In the mean time you could consider strength training. There are a lot of exercises that can be done without being on your feet. Let me know if you need any guidance with this.

@stefannielynne91 Welcome to the group. We are here to support you and encourage you along the way.

@Smilely3 Could you give us a bit more background of what you did to take off the 25 lbs that you gained in 2016. When was the last time you changed up your routine or added intensity? I know you said you were doing a fast, but I can’t remember when that started or when it will end. What is your plan for diet once the fast is over? Once I have a bit more where you have been and what you are currently doing then I will be better prepared to give you some advice.
  • Smilely3
    Smilely3 Posts: 21 Member
    @msarobix ,
    The weight gain was a side effect of a medication I was taking. I was taken off of the medication and exercised 6 days a week. I also limited my meals to basically 2 meals a day not healthy. I plateau after losing the intial 25lbs. Reset my fitnesspal which increased my calories and continued working out. I just finished a 14 day fast with only vegan food. I Lost 3 lbs and gained back think it was water weight. I plan on making a lifestyle change with no red meat, processed foods, and decreased sugar intake. Just can't seem to lose the first 10lbs. According to my fitnessapl , I should be losing weight but am not. I even changed my goal from losing 2lbs a week to 1lb a week.
  • mynacha73
    mynacha73 Posts: 120 Member
    @BackInSoFL great idea! If I can’t use a rowing machine, I can rent a canoe or kayak and go out on the Bay!!! Hadn’t even thought of that! Thank you.

@KeriA I’d love to be in the water. Chlorine and I are not good friends, so I can’t use our local pools.

@msarobix thank you for the offer. I may reach out. For now I’m doing well with Pilates and feeing guiltily grateful that planks are off the table for a bit longer.

Thanks for the support everyone. Knowing we’ve got this group is a big help!
  • BackInSoFL
    msarobix wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

However, this evening I am feeling a little run down. My husband has been sick for over 2 weeks with a cold and I hope I am not getting that. I took some vitamin C tonight in hopes that it will help boost my immune system and I will walk up tomorrow feeling back to 100%.

Oh no, nothing sets me back like a cold! No energy for anything. Try to get plenty of rest and water. I used to take that EmergenC powder, it is loaded with sugar! I would mindlessly drink one daily, until I read the label. Hope you and your husband feel better soon.

• SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    My week is going great! I am not drinking my favorite libation: vino! I have more energy in the mornings to workout and loving it. I enjoy doing Barre and part of our clubs January Challenge. If anyone is looking for a wonderful ladies workout, check out to see if you have a local barre class. For those of you that don’t know it is a mix between Pilates, Yoga, strength training and stretching. I am still doing cardio on the side.

Any who, I have a fun golf tournament today! Wishing all the best to all!