Let's Do this! - 2019 Challenge - Be the best you can be!

Options

Replies

• StacySunshine8
    StacySunshine8 Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    How does everyone else find inspiration/motivation to keep going when your butterfly has flown away?

I do the same thing you’re doing. Power through and try to stick to a schedule.
  • loonyhiker
    loonyhiker Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well I’m confessing in advance. I’m counting tomorrow as my rest day and won’t get my steps in. We are leaving st 5am and heading to FL. It will be an all day road trip. On the bright side, I’ll have plenty of knitting time!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    @NavyBrat76 I love to read too. Glad I got checked in here. As soon as I saw you goal of drinking more water it inspired me to get up and get going on my water. It is one of my goals too along with cooking at home.

@embodybliss a busier life is one of my challenges now too.

@lizshines I still haven’t found my Fitbit Alta so I am not tracking my steps either. I guess I have to buy a replacement. I do best when I take small steps
    As to motivation I find that when my body realizes I am committed to that exercise I get a bit of a joy rush. My body lets me know it is happy about getting the exercise. So it is like I don’t even have to be exercising to get that reward. I just need to get to the point of no return and I get it. So I only have to start to do it and I get that push to follow through.

@StacySunshine8 sticking to a schedule or routine does help too. There were so many days during the holidays that the Y was closed that it was hard to get back into our normal exercise schedule. After doing our Wednesday Aquazumba class we were really tired.

Tina, I have converted my 2018 spreadsheet into my 2019 one and tweeked it a bit. I did well filling it in until I started back to work this week on Wednesday.

I had a short intense week at work. I didn't want to get onto MFP after work. We did start back into our regular exercise schedule. My food is a bit off. I need to settle into my typical way of keeping my calorie intake lower. So this was a short week of trying to get back into my normal healthier routines.

Next week we need to establish a new schedule with our daughter going back to school. So I will continue to tweek things till things settle down later this month.

Keri
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I had a fantastic workout today. I did another Peloton running workout. I started their 6 week 5k program. it isn’t a C25k, but more of a run your best 5k program. It assumes that you are are already doing a bit of running and doesn’t start off with mostly walking, although there were some walk breaks.

I am really enjoying this app. I think this running class will really help me with my form because they talked a lot about form during the first class. No one has ever really told me how to run, and I have always thought I was doing it wrong.

@fitness327wk Your tea sounds like a nice alternative to wine.

@loonyhiker I know how hard it is to get your steps in when you are on a long road trip. How long is the drive? Maybe every time you stop for gas or food you can spend 10-15 minutes walking. Then once you arrive at your final destination I am sure you will be tired of sitting and could probably get the rest of your steps in. Although it isn’t a bad idea to take a rest day either.
  • fstopsphotography
    Options
    Hello! I’ve read so much conflicting information on the internet regarding stretching. Some sites say stretching before your workout can fatigue muscles and decrease your performance others say it’s a must and will increase your performance. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    Anyone found either of these statements to be true in their experience?
  • lizshines
    lizshines Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @fstopsphotography I guess you could try both and see what you like better. And I've always seen warm up/workout/cooldown and stretch as the sequence in most workouts.

Me I stretch after, because muscles are warm and there's less chance of pulling or straining cold muscles. I tend to aggravate one of my hamstrings so waiting for muscles to be warm has helped.

I'd be careful if you do it before but have fun with it! The internet is useful but it can be a little information overload at times.
  • msarobix
    Options

@fstopsphotography I never stretch before I workout. I do warm up before I do anything really strenuous or extreme, and I ALWAYS stretch after. I typically do 5-10 minute of walking slowly ramping up the speed to warm up. If I am taking a class any they do stretching then I will do some of that, but if I am just doing my own thing I don’t stretch, but I don’t push the stretch like I will at the end of my workout.

It isn’t a good idea to stretch cold muscles, because you can tear a muscle if you stretch to deeply and haven’t properly warmed up first. So if you decide you want to stretch before your workout it is highly advised that you warm up those muscles for 10-15 minutes by walking before you stretch.

I think one reason I don’t stretch is because once I get started I just want to get on with my workout. As long as I remember to stretch at the end I think I am fine. If I feel a little tight in the middle of my workout I might stop and stretch that one muscle for a minute then continue on.
  • msarobix
    Options
    Hi everyone,

How is it going? We are almost a week into this year. Do you have your plan in place? Are you following that plan? Have you had any slips? If so what have you done to get back on track, or have you gotten back on track.

I have heard that most people who start a diet/fitness program at the beginning of the year loss focus and drop out by the middle of February, but that isn’t going to be us right.

We are all going to be here sharing our experiences, and working towards our goals, little by little, for the entire year. RIGHT!

Sure, there will be times that we don’t do everything exactly right, and there will be days, hopefully not weeks, that we don’t feel like working out at all, but we will push through.

In fact, I think we should all have a list of our minimums. Meaning on days we don’t feel like following our PLAN what would be the absolute minimum we will except from ourselves.

For me it will be to just close all my rings on my Apple Watch. Most days I do way more than then I need to close my rings, but on a day where I am not feeling up to the challenge I would want to at least do enough to close my rings.

What will your minimums be? I have found that a lot of times, if I push to meet my minimum, I end up getting in the grove and doing my planned workout, but sometimes once I hit that minimum I am done. But, I can at least be proud that I met my minimum goal for the day.

This would be a good way to get some movement into your life EVERY day. Rather than just completely giving in to your lack of motivation. And you know we will have those days over the next 359 days.

With the support of each other, we can stick to our goals and push ourselves just a little bit further every day, week, or month. And we will eventually reach our goals.
  • jennymarie07
    jennymarie07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Today is the beginning of my journey. I am excited to get started and more importantly get healthy.
  • Mbodied
    Mbodied Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    The good news is I’ve been eating pretty mindfully for the last couple days, haven’t snacked after dinner or out of stress. I even did this yesterday while I was home working on a project the whole day. And I got a bunch of work done! I think it helps that I don’t really have any junk in the house to distract me. Also, I’ve been reaching for water as much as possible.
    On the other hand, I didn’t work out yesterday and the day before my workout was just walking to my errands. I love walking, but I also want to get back into a strength training routine. The hardest part is just getting started when there are so many things I can convince myself I need to do instead. At the moment, If I can feel strong in my eating and productivity, I’m okay being a little patient with my workouts.

@KeriA - I hear you about the upcoming schedule change. Just when I start to create a rhythm, the calendar moves on and I have to find what works all over again.
    @msarobix - You’re right, HIIT is a great plan. And I think I can carve out 30 minutes a day. I definitely waste that much time without even noticing it. I’d much rather get a workout in.
    @lizshines - I am totally with you on the water. It makes such a difference. Plus all the added steps I get in with so many daily trips to the bathroom 🤣
  • Mbodied
    Mbodied Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @msarobix I love your idea about setting a minimum for each day as a way of getting something in and as a hook for possibly more of a workout. For me, I’m going to try a 30 minute walk as my minimum. Great idea!
  • fstopsphotography
    Options
    msarobix wrote: »
    @fstopsphotography I never stretch before I workout. I do warm up before I do anything really strenuous or extreme, and I ALWAYS stretch after. I typically do 5-10 minute of walking slowly ramping up the speed to warm up. If I am taking a class any they do stretching then I will do some of that, but if I am just doing my own thing I don’t stretch, but I don’t push the stretch like I will at the end of my workout.

It isn’t a good idea to stretch cold muscles, because you can tear a muscle if you stretch to deeply and haven’t properly warmed up first. So if you decide you want to stretch before your workout it is highly advised that you warm up those muscles for 10-15 minutes by walking before you stretch.

I think one reason I don’t stretch is because once I get started I just want to get on with my workout. As long as I remember to stretch at the end I think I am fine. If I feel a little tight in the middle of my workout I might stop and stretch that one muscle for a minute then continue on.

Thank you! This was super insightful. I’ll be doing all my stretches post workout now. 💪🏻👍🏻⭐️
  • joescheppaeq
    joescheppaeq Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am looking to lose 50 + lbs & could use some support trying to achieve that goal. Also would like to do some competitions on the Apple Watch.
  • BackInSoFL
    BackInSoFL Posts: 82 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    msarobix wrote: »

What will your minimums be? I have found that a lot of times, if I push to meet my minimum, I end up getting in the grove and doing my planned workout, but sometimes once I hit that minimum I am done. But, I can at least be proud that I met my minimum goal for the day.

I like the idea of minimums. My minimum is "even on cheat days to eat calories not to exceed TDEE" Thanks for the benchmark!

• msarobix
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @jennymarie07 We can do this together.

@embodybliss Take it one day at a time. If you are focused on your diet right now then work on that for now and then try to slip in that workout a little more often. It will all come with time. We can’t expect to change everything all at once and make it stick.

@joescheppaeq Welcome to the group. We can definitely provide some support to help you towards your weight loss goals. I will also send you a private message to link up on Apple Watch. I am up for a competition.

Is there anyone else I missed on linking up on the Apple Watch. I think I sent everyone a private message that mentioned they would like to share their activity.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble with getting hungry before dinner is ready or just not getting my timing right for meals. I have a feeling it will take a week to get the right schedule with changes this week.

As to not giving up in February, no way. I have been on here for longer than a few months. I also really like this thread/challenge.

The 2 areas of progress I have made is getting back to my exercise routine and upping my water some. Also last night at dinner we talked about what meals to make this week and I went grocery shopping and got the ingredients which is important to making healthy meals at home.

Hope all have a good week.
  • loonyhiker
    loonyhiker Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @msarobix We were in the car for 8 hours. We did park away from the rest area building so we could walk a little. We also stopped at some antique stores. I was happy to get over 7000 steps on a travel day.

My minimum is close movement and stand rings even if I don’t close my exercise ring.
  • jennymarie07
    jennymarie07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok I have encounter my 1st problem. I got in all my water yesterday. But then didnt get a good nights sleep because I was up and down to the bathroom all night.

Is ther a specific time you all stop drinking water. I think I had my last drink at 9:30 or does it eventually level out?
  • msarobix
    Options
    This morning was one of those mornings that I needed a bit of a break on my workout. After my workout yesterday I knew that I had worked a bit too hard. I felt fine later in the day, but this morning as soon as I started to pick up the pace I could tell that I wasn’t going to be able to push today. So I did a somewhat casual walk this morning, but I still hit 3 miles and closed my exercise ring.

If you are feeling tied or exhausted after your workout then you pushed a bit too hard. After you work out you should feel energized and ready to tackle another workout. Everyone should do a self evaluation, not only during your workout, but also after.

@jennymarie07 LOL! Been there. Yes, I typically try to limit my water intake after 6 pm. That means that I have to drink more during the day to guarantee that I get enough water.
  • lizshines
    lizshines Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @jennymarie07 I have to be careful not to drink too much at night. I try to make up for not drinking enough during the day and then get no sleep! Right around 7 pm I try to stop the intake 😉