Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

1121315171823

Replies

  • Fitness327wkFitness327wk Posts: 162Member Member Posts: 162Member Member
    I use the app Dry January, it tracks calories, money saved from not drinking and how many days dry. It is also can be used if you do plan to drink. Has a calendar of drinking/non drinking days.
  • htimpairedhtimpaired Posts: 1,397Member Member Posts: 1,397Member Member
    I have that one (Dry January), but it seems to steer towards abstinence, not moderation, which is fine this month, but moving forwards I'd like to be able to track moderate days, etc. I've looked at other apps and they all seem the same-sobriety, not moderation.
  • cupoteacupotea Posts: 88Member Member Posts: 88Member Member
    htimpaired wrote: »
    @cupotea, what app is that?

    Hey @htimpaired it’s called Drink Less

  • cupoteacupotea Posts: 88Member Member Posts: 88Member Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @cupoftea I may have missed this, but is that an app you are using to track your alcohol intake? If so, which one? I like the idea of distinguishing between alcohol days and "heavy drinking". i want to limit my alcohol days but I want to completely eliminate any days that I would classify as "heavy drinking", or more than 3 drinks in one day.

    Hey @lporter229 it is an app, it’s called Drink Less and much like this thread is more for monitoring/cutting back your alcohol intake than complete abstinence (although of course could work well for that too. I’m really liking it!

    edited January 11
  • Sub4_2018Sub4_2018 Posts: 35Member Member Posts: 35Member Member
    Good luck to everyone going into the weekend! I have around an hour left at work and the cravings for Friday night wine are in full force. Hoping those lessen as the evening goes on.
  • MissMayMissMay Posts: 527Member Member Posts: 527Member Member
    cupotea wrote: »
    our favourite soda on the way home

    That Orange Crush looks delish. Now I have to go buy some tomorrow. THANKS!

  • cupoteacupotea Posts: 88Member Member Posts: 88Member Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    cupotea wrote: »
    our favourite soda on the way home

    That Orange Crush looks delish. Now I have to go buy some tomorrow. THANKS!

    It’s overtaken diet irn bru as my fave fizzy juice <3
  • MissMayMissMay Posts: 527Member Member Posts: 527Member Member
    cupotea wrote: »

    It’s overtaken diet irn bru as my fave fizzy juice <3

    I'm into the "Zero" beverage drinks that are available. Right now I am drinking the Zero Arizona half & half tea. Having it cold and heated up. Messing around this time last year trying to substitute mock tails for alcoholic drinks , only put the calories on me. So the Zero Orange will be a nice change, hope they have that around here.
  • WomonaWomona Posts: 190Member Member Posts: 190Member Member
    Date night with hubby last night - proud that I wasn’t craving it- even for a Friday night! I did order a glass to go with my steak and I was honestly “meh” about it. I wound up with the extra half glass because waitress screwed up and gave us a round on the house. Took a few sips and then I just couldn’t drink any more- found myself getting a little drunk. Came home, did some drunk eating and today I feel lousy. Didn’t sleep well at all. At least my weight wasn’t up from yesterday! Whew!

    Plan for this weekend is nurse one glass of wine when out with friends tonight, and one when we watch the Eagles/Saints game with friends on Sunday. Not going for that 2nd glass in hopes it helps with the yuck feeling and bad sleep!

    Good luck everyone this weekend- especially those snowbound!
  • MissMayMissMay Posts: 527Member Member Posts: 527Member Member
    Womona wrote: »
    ..... and today I feel lousy.

    @Womona sorry to hear your date night left you waking up feeling blah today.
  • cupoteacupotea Posts: 88Member Member Posts: 88Member Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    cupotea wrote: »

    It’s overtaken diet irn bru as my fave fizzy juice <3

    I'm into the "Zero" beverage drinks that are available. Right now I am drinking the Zero Arizona half & half tea. Having it cold and heated up. Messing around this time last year trying to substitute mock tails for alcoholic drinks , only put the calories on me. So the Zero Orange will be a nice change, hope they have that around here.

    Ooh what’s the Zero Arizona? Is it available in the UK? I feel like I need to try it!
  • cupoteacupotea Posts: 88Member Member Posts: 88Member Member
    Womona wrote: »
    Date night with hubby last night - proud that I wasn’t craving it- even for a Friday night! I did order a glass to go with my steak and I was honestly “meh” about it. I wound up with the extra half glass because waitress screwed up and gave us a round on the house. Took a few sips and then I just couldn’t drink any more- found myself getting a little drunk. Came home, did some drunk eating and today I feel lousy. Didn’t sleep well at all. At least my weight wasn’t up from yesterday! Whew!

    Plan for this weekend is nurse one glass of wine when out with friends tonight, and one when we watch the Eagles/Saints game with friends on Sunday. Not going for that 2nd glass in hopes it helps with the yuck feeling and bad sleep!

    Good luck everyone this weekend- especially those snowbound!

    @Womona lots of hugs but draw a line under it and learn whatever you need to from it. Another tip is have a wine with soda water in it, that way you can have a couple of glasses but not a lot of actual wine!
  • MissMayMissMay Posts: 527Member Member Posts: 527Member Member
    @Womona here it is. The biggest thing for me to get past to even buy it was that it had a picture of a golfer on the container. Lol59b6pedxdsd3.jpg
  • Lilylady3kLilylady3k Posts: 48Member Member Posts: 48Member Member
    My personal goal is to drink less alcohol. Targeting 4 nights per week AF usually M-Th ~16 AF nights per month. DH & I are dropping the nightly bottle of wine with dinner. Listing my social challenges and plans to not go with the flow drinking 2-4 glasses of wine when out with friends!

    January

    January accountability ~11 day so far
    Me (no alcohol): 7 days
    Alcohol: 4 days (5 9 drinks)

    To view the weekly count toward 4 ... AF Mon Dec 31!
    Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - Dinner out with hubby after challenging day at work transitioning my role. Looks like it will take weeks to ramp them up. Didn't leave chair for 9 hrs. (excuses) - limited myself to 1 glass of wine
    Jan 3 - Bunco - limit 1 glass wine. Slipped up and had 2-3 (I call it 12 oz 3 if light pour / 2 if heavy pour) What happen to my resolve to drink water after 1 glass?
    Jan 4 - Traveling with my mom & sister 7 hrs today for a funeral Saturday. Plans to limit to 1 glass of wine was blown. I lacked the willpower which I need to work on. 1 margarita at mexican restaurant, 1 glass of wine in hotel suite everyone gathered at after dinner.
    Jan 5 - AF Driving 7 hours return trip
    Jan 6 - AF
    *This past week Monday thru Sunday I hit my 4 days of AF by reigning it in Sat and Sun! No social challenges next week. It will be just me and my own willpower to bank AF days for the month to offset challenging weeks ahead.

    Jan 7 - AF
    Jan 8 - AF
    Jan 9 - AF
    Jan 10 - AF Driving 6 hours this evening
    *Last 3 nights I skipped the beer and bourbon & did not join DH in drinking. Patting myself on the back for the resolve to stick to 4 nights AF this week M-Th. Planning for wine with dinner Fri & Sat but I'm feeling so much more in control these days with this resolve.
    Jan 11 - 4 glasses (2 red, 2 white) Opened 2 bottles of wine with DH should have limited myself to 1 glass from each; almost doubled my number of drinks for the month in one night sitting outside with neighbors looking out over the water and grilling steaks.
    Jan 12 - Plan to limit myself to 1 glass this evening PERIOD; I need to learn this skill
    Jan 13 -

    Jan 14 -
    Jan 15 -
    Jan 16 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine or beer
    Jan 17 - Bingo fundraiser @ winery - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 18 -
    Jan 19 -
    Jan 20 -

    Jan 21 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 22 - Dining out club - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 23 -
    Jan 24 -
    Jan 25 -
    Jan 26 -
    Jan 27 -

    Jan 28 -
    Jan 29 -
    Jan 30 -
    Jan 31 - Retiring from company after 30 years - plan to celebrate but limit 2 glasses
    edited January 12
  • Sabine_StroehmSabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,148Member, Premium Member Posts: 19,148Member, Premium Member

    Day 11 in the books.
    What I find is: When walking between work and home I'll see a happy hour haunt and have a quick hankering (for wine? for socializing?). When I get home, instead of a glass of wine I'll pour a big glass of fresca. I discovered quickly that I am often *thirsty* which surprises me because I drink water all day. But I drink the big fresca and then go on with my evening. That's interesting. Glad hubs had bought some fresca. I don't normally drink sodas, but it's a good replacement for white wine this month.
    Scale is cooperating, so I'm achieving my goals!
    edited January 12
Sign In or Register to comment.