Will eating Deli Meat really cause cancer?

13»

Replies

• peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 325 Member
    my butcher roasts some of the cuts they offer and they will slice them up for me. i take them home and portion them out in freezer bags then pull them out when i want a supper i don't have to cook. check with yours. maybe they will do turkey for you.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You need to understand how to translate the numbers. Processed meats increase your risk of cancer by 18%...that's 18% of the starting risk factor. The starting risk factor for developing colon cancer is 5%...so you would take 18% of 5% (.18 x .05 = .009 increase...so .05 + .009 = roughly 6%). Not really statistically significant.

Noting the degree of error exceeds the result, so statistically insignificant.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You need to understand how to translate the numbers. Processed meats increase your risk of cancer by 18%...that's 18% of the starting risk factor. The starting risk factor for developing colon cancer is 5%...so you would take 18% of 5% (.18 x .05 = .009 increase...so .05 + .009 = roughly 6%). Not really statistically significant.

Noting the degree of error exceeds the result, so statistically insignificant.

But that makes a terrible headline :tongue: