given up bread?

Options
1235»

Replies

• fgodfrey56
    fgodfrey56 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It really is about the calories. To lose weight you need to run a calorie deficit. Its that simple. You can get into nutrition and health concerns, but at the end of the day to lose weight it is all about the calories in versus the calories out.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Have you ever given up bread? If so what was your resulting weight loss experience?

My dietician was telling me yesterday that all bread is much more fattening than whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa.
    I asked why, given that bread is pretty low cal (50cals/slice on average) organic whole unrefined grain/wheat breads with lots of fiber and protein surely is healthy in moderation esp compared to white enriched bread?
    Well, she told me that all bread is fattening bc automatically gets stored as fat. She said any time you have flour you have this fat storing hormonal response, no matter what kind of bread it is and that it is far worse for fat loss than foods like oatmeal and brown rice.
    Her advice is to only eat grains that are in their WHOLE form. IE brown rice, black rice, quinoa, steal cut oatmeal. And to give up anything that contains flour.

thoughts?

I lost 50 lbs by giving up bread (and all other forms of grains, with the exception of white rice - a once every two or three months thing). I did it at the advice of my chiropractor.

In response to the person stating that celiac isn't reason enough for the "normal" person to give up wheat - gluten intolerance has many faces and most times you don't realize you're intolerant til you give it up. I don't have celiac. But, when I consume wheat containing products, I develop an upset stomach about a half hour later, then about an hour after that I have stabbing pains in my gut, painful gas, and gain 4 lbs overnight. Before I gave up wheat, I thought these pains were just random normal things.

I say, give it a shot. See what happens. You certainly won't die by giving up bread.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Have you ever given up bread? If so what was your resulting weight loss experience?

My dietician was telling me yesterday that all bread is much more fattening than whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa.
    I asked why, given that bread is pretty low cal (50cals/slice on average) organic whole unrefined grain/wheat breads with lots of fiber and protein surely is healthy in moderation esp compared to white enriched bread?
    Well, she told me that all bread is fattening bc automatically gets stored as fat. She said any time you have flour you have this fat storing hormonal response, no matter what kind of bread it is and that it is far worse for fat loss than foods like oatmeal and brown rice.
    Her advice is to only eat grains that are in their WHOLE form. IE brown rice, black rice, quinoa, steal cut oatmeal. And to give up anything that contains flour.

thoughts?

I lost 50 lbs by giving up bread (and all other forms of grains, with the exception of white rice - a once every two or three months thing). I did it at the advice of my chiropractor.

In response to the person stating that celiac isn't reason enough for the "normal" person to give up wheat - gluten intolerance has many faces and most times you don't realize you're intolerant til you give it up. I don't have celiac. But, when I consume wheat containing products, I develop an upset stomach about a half hour later, then about an hour after that I have stabbing pains in my gut, painful gas, and gain 4 lbs overnight. Before I gave up wheat, I thought these pains were just random normal things.

I say, give it a shot. See what happens. You certainly won't die by giving up bread.

You obviously have a wheat allergy. I wouldn't make a practice of listening to chiropractors about nutrition advice, however.
  • tabarrett0261
    tabarrett0261 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have given up gluten, which includes bread. I have been meeting with a nutritionist and she tells me that if you have a sensitivity to gluten (and I very well could be, celiac disease runs in my extended family) it is best to go gluten free. What they have me doing, and I feel a whole lot better, is eat a balance of protein, fats and good carbs. If you have extra fat around your belly it most likely is from sugar, from what I have learned. So bread will turn to sugar in your body and if you are insulin resistant, it will not enter into the cell and turn to energy, it will deposit as fati, from what I have learned. Hope this helps!
  • maifayre
    Options
    modern day bread is not a good thing. i'm so so so much better sans bread.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    modern day bread is not a good thing. i'm so so so much better sans bread.
    Strong first post
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I believe if you have no such medical reasons there is no reason why you should be giving it up!! I have diabetes, high blood pressure ,and high cholesterol and still haven't been told to cut them out completely.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Whoa! Holy wild conjecture, Batman! We do research into lupus, Hashimoto's AND rheumatoid arthritis here - actually, about seven different types of arthritis, of which rheumatoid is one (human immunology research and vaccine development center). I assure you, this is news to all of us! If there were any remotely credible study showing wheat consumption caused any of these diseases, we would know about it.

Are the sources/studies he quotes credible or not?

http://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection

Because if what he's saying is true, then wheat/gluten has a lot to do with auto-immune diseases like hashimoto's.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    As a philosophical question, what is wrong with "eliminating food groups to trick yourself into eating less calories"? Most people who attempt to lose weight have done so multiple times previously, and failed. If something different, even eliminating food groups to trick yourself into eating less calories, works for them -- what's the harm?

There are very few essential nutrients that can't be taken in from alternative sources.

There is the issue that any strict restriction you place on your diet makes you more likely to get fed up with it and give up. This is the basis of yo-yo dieting. This is less of a problem with a short term restriction, obviously. Unless you have a medical or psychological reason to place such a restriction on yourself, you have a better chance of achieving sustainable weight loss and an actual lifestyle change if you keep your diet as flexible and maintainable as possible.

You know, I've heard this quite frequently, but I've never seen any research to corroborate it. I think the general retention rate of any eating plan is pretty low -- observationally, that seems to hold true -- but aside from the "general knowledge" aspect of it, I've not actually seen any sort of evidence that one diet is less maintainable than others across a population.

In any case, the best diet is the one that gives you your essential nutrients and is something you can live with. No reason not to try different stuff.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    My dietitian has never told me that I needed to give up bread..but this is a lifestyle change for me..and I don't want to have any banned foods..but everyone is different :)
  • LadyBoss_1989
    LadyBoss_1989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid hashimotos. I'am 25 yrs old, no kids and im taking 75 mg of levy. (the big long word ill spell incorrectly)
    for my thyroid. I have a small to medium frame but my stomach is huge. I feel like its literally bigger than my entire body, as if im pregnant. Not sure if its a bread issue, dairy issue, or sugar issue or all three. and by the sounds of it im probably insulin resistant as well. Going to try to cut out all three completely from my diet for a while, and see if with eating better things and exercise, my stomach starts to go down..