What do you think of my work out plan/ideas/scoliosis?

So I'm about 120-125, 5'7 looking to gain about 15-20 pounds. I've been working out on and off for about 2 years but, this year I want to be consistent and reach my goals. I've always been really skinny and have made some progress throughout the years thanks to Ensure Plus shakes. I'm logging all my food but, find it hard to reach my calorie intake. What snacks do you eat in a day?
I've been working out at home so I only have limited weights and due to my scoliosis I've been getting frustrated with squats since I curve left. I can lift heavier but, my back hinders me. I wish I could afford a personal trainer...
my leg workout:
resistant band warm up(donkey kicks, fire hydrants..)
20 goblet squats (35 pounds)
3 sets front squats [easier for my scoliosis] (50 pounds)
3 sets split squats (35 pounds)
3 sets deadlifts (50 pounds)
3 sets hip thrusts (50 pounds)

upper body (kinda all over the place):
try to do pushups (..about 5)
2 sets side shoulder flys (10 pounds/single arm)
2 sets front shoulder flys (10 pounds/single arm)
2 sets shoulder press (10 pounds/single arm)
3 sets bicep curls (15 pounds/single arm)
3 sets tricep..forget what theyre called (10 pounds/single arm)

any ideas or advice for body building with scoliosis?

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    My first question would be what does your doctor think of your plan? With your physical limitations, I would highly recommend you find a personal trainer that has a solid background in kinesiology or PT. A good trainer will work with your doctor to ensure you are following a plan that is safe and productive for you.

As far as snacks, if you struggle to gain weight and hit your calorie goals, go for higher calorie snacks. Nuts, full fat dairy (like cheese, cottage cheese or yogurt), avocado, granola, high fiber bagels...these are all choices that are healthy but give you a higher calorie intake.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    is there a reason you're not using an established lifting routine?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I experienced trainer is optimal but it wouldn't stop you from lifting heavier neither would scoliosis.

Using useful intensity at the correct volume while progressing with recovery will allow you to adapt and get stronger.

Run a program with regulation and you will achieve your goal(s).
  • Valcast4444
    Valcast4444 Posts: 11 Member
    TavistockToad
    well..I'm working on it. I usually workout 3 times a week.
    Mondays-legs
    wednesdays-upper
    fridays- legs

I work my core each of those days.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2019
    Not only inspiration for the scoliosis factor, but the encouragement for an established routine.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/894293/ladies-weight-lifting-will-make-something-bulky/p1

Which doesn't mean doing just anything regular, but a regular routine from a source that is going to encourage advancement and progress with enough frequency and focus to make a difference.

She might have some comments in there to help with that idea.

And for finding a program, even one you can do at home with what you got.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

For instance - your upper body routine that focuses on biceps and triceps.
    Every push and pull action using bigger muscles will use those too - so if limited for time and energy - don't do the little muscle and certainly not first, do the bigger and get the little ones too.
    Bench press, overhead press, bent-over row, ect.
  • Valcast4444
    Valcast4444 Posts: 11 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Not only inspiration for the scoliosis factor, but the encouragement for an established routine.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/894293/ladies-weight-lifting-will-make-something-bulky/p1

Which doesn't mean doing just anything regular, but a regular routine from a source that is going to encourage advancement and progress with enough frequency and focus to make a difference.

She might have some comments in there to help with that idea.

And for finding a program, even one you can do at home with what you got.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

For instance - your upper body routine that focuses on biceps and triceps.
    Every push and pull action using bigger muscles will use those too - so if limited for time and energy - don't do the little muscle and certainly not first, do the bigger and get the little ones too.
    Bench press, overhead press, bent-over row, ect.

Awesome, thank you!!
  • cacapipilaproute
    cacapipilaproute Posts: 6 Member
    Get some whey protein to maximize protein intake and add 400 500 calories to your diet it's a better option than ensure .you dont need to go way over your daily calorie intake to gain (200-225) just make sure you are training at maximum intensity and getting a 30 plus gram of protein intake right after workout ive put on 15 pounds of lean muscle over the past year just eating 2200 cals per day
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    Get some whey protein to maximize protein intake and add 400 500 calories to your diet it's a better option than ensure .you dont need to go way over your daily calorie intake to gain (200-225) just make sure you are training at maximum intensity and getting a 30 plus gram of protein intake right after workout ive put on 15 pounds of lean muscle over the past year just eating 2200 cals per day
    Training at maximum intensity is poor load management and will cause more fatigue than one could recover from. Also it will raise your injury risk.

One doesn't need to consume protien directly after a workout. The protien window myth was debunked long ago. One just needs to eat a reasonably balanced meals and fill their macros as well as calories throughout the day to achieve optimal results.

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Training at maximum intensity is poor load management and will cause more fatigue than one could recover from. Also it will raise your injury risk.

One doesn't need to consume protien directly after a workout. The protien window myth was debunked long ago. One just needs to eat a reasonably balanced meals and fill their macros as well as calories throughout the day to achieve optimal results.

Not to mention, there's little point in adding 400-500 cals in just whey protein per day (100-125g) when, instead, as long as her protein consumption is already adequate, those calories could come from much more nutrient-dense food sources (nut butters, avocado, etc). Supplementing with whey isn't bad but no need to overdo it especially when there are hyper-palatable options that will give her more calories with less volume.
  • 80sSynthwave
    80sSynthwave Posts: 25 Member
    I mentioned this in another post, and it depends on how severe your scoliosis is, but I straightened my spine out in the first year of lifting by putting a heavy emphasis (about 50%) of my routine being symmetrical pulling movements which included every variation of row on both cables and machine, lats at every angle, and any other excercise available at the gym. I ended up popping a herniated disk back into place as well. Maybe it can work for you too. I essentially started with the upper back muscles and worked my way down over time.
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Jonnydebrasco Posts: 68 Member
    Well there are a few good answers here so no need for me to confuse you more.
  • trayborn114442
    trayborn114442 Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2019
    My daughter was just diagnosed with Scoliosis 23%. Waiting on her back brace. She is now resting because she loves to work out and somehow strained her muscles. This has never happened to her. Any tips? I don’t want her to cause any strain. She is also 11 years old. Very thin. She also is energetic.