Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Sweet cravings

gelo33gelo33 Posts: 14Member Member Posts: 14Member Member
Hello everyone.
How do you all manage sweet cravings? I always do well but cave in when it comes to chocolates and biscuits.
I previously never had a sweet tooth so I can’t understand what is going on.
Does switching up protein and fats help to bring sugar cravings down?
Thanks for any advice and help.
Forgot to add I try to factor them in my daily calories but end up having extra 🙄
Eg I factor in one chocolate (12g) for after lunch and 2 biscuits for the evening but end up doubling the quantities.
«1

Replies

  • gelo33gelo33 Posts: 14Member Member Posts: 14Member Member
    Kelly845 wrote: »
    I love chocolate and cakes. So it's really hard to cut them out. But if I manage not to eat any sweets 3 days, then I don't crave it anymore. If it is too hard for u not to eat any sweets at all, try to eat oatmeal with honey for breakfast for a few days and u won't have sweet cravings for the rest of the day. Well, it works for me mostly :)

    Thanks, I love oatmeal so will def try it out!
  • AmyC2288AmyC2288 Posts: 380Member Member Posts: 380Member Member
    Sipping diet soda and chewing sugar free gum are my go to's when I don't have the calories. Most of the time I do plan to have at least a few sweet treats a week but I always make sure I pre-plan my day to allow for them.

    ETA: I find it helpful to have them in already portioned packages so either the 100 calorie cookie packs, ice cream bar, popsicle, etc... seems silly but having it already portioned out can help.
    edited January 3
  • MommyLifts3MommyLifts3 Posts: 311Member Member Posts: 311Member Member
    I always crave something sweet after lunch and dinner. If I don't have room for a treat then I usually drink a cup of black coffee or tea and that seems to make the craving subside.
  • caindove11caindove11 Posts: 63Member Member Posts: 63Member Member
    I definitely have a sweet tooth. I use to try to exclude sweets totally from my diet but I would always cave in and binge on them. Now I just work it into my meal plan and make sure it fits within my calorie limit. Oatmeal Raisin and Sugar cookies are my poison!
  • marashay001marashay001 Posts: 9Member Member Posts: 9Member Member
    I’ve done everything from from sipping La Croix water to taking a magnesium supplement. I had to learn to tell myself NO!! It’s that hard for me. Nothing worked!! When I was really sick, like bed rest sick for 3 weeks, I did start to feel sorry for myself and gave in. The chocolate tasted terrible!! (The antibiotics I was on made everything taste like metal) so now I only want chocolate every once in a while. I rewarded myself over 200 days when I said NO to my cravings. It helped.

  • Kelly845Kelly845 Posts: 37Member Member Posts: 37Member Member
    andezz99 wrote: »
    I feel your pain and to be honest they (cravings) never go away. If you really want to get over your sweet cravings I would say don't eat them at all. I think eatting sweet items only keeps the craving alive and over time you will loose the desire for them if you cut them cold turkey. If you do have a piece of something sweet after a long abstinence you will be surprised at how much you don't like it anymore, it may also make you feel sick, especially if you are eating a healthy diet. I even try to cut my fruit intake because that too can stimulate a desire for sweets.

    Everything u wrote is true. Bit when I cut them cold turkey, my skin loses it's firmness, I look older. I'm not sure if it's because of sugar or something else. I'll find out what exactly causes that some day
    edited January 5
  • twdlove89twdlove89 Posts: 95Member Member Posts: 95Member Member
    I’ve learnt the hard way, I’ve eaten my share and some of sweet stuff over the past 3 days and now my body just feels like crap, it’s effected my bowel movements (sorry if tmi) and I feel crap mentally for eating so much. Do I regret it.......maybe lol but it’s back to just light hot chocolates for me whenever I’m craving crap and that usually does the trick to curb my cravings
  • rheddmobilerheddmobile Posts: 4,017Member Member Posts: 4,017Member Member
    Kelly845 wrote: »
    andezz99 wrote: »
    I feel your pain and to be honest they (cravings) never go away. If you really want to get over your sweet cravings I would say don't eat them at all. I think eatting sweet items only keeps the craving alive and over time you will loose the desire for them if you cut them cold turkey. If you do have a piece of something sweet after a long abstinence you will be surprised at how much you don't like it anymore, it may also make you feel sick, especially if you are eating a healthy diet. I even try to cut my fruit intake because that too can stimulate a desire for sweets.

    Everything u wrote is true. Bit when I cut them cold turkey, my skin loses it's firmness, I look older. I'm not sure if it's because of sugar or something else. I'll find out what exactly causes that some day

    I'm thinking this could be because reducing carbs also reduces the amount of stored water in your muscles temporarily. If this is what's causing your skin to lose firmness, it should return to normal after an adjustment period. Also, eating more fruit or other nutrient-dense and less calorific carbs would prevent it.
    edited January 5
  • born_of_fire74born_of_fire74 Posts: 752Member Member Posts: 752Member Member
    If it's not in my house, I can't eat it. Although I have a terrible weakness for baked goods, I have not yet wanted a cookie so badly that I've made a special trip to the store to get one (or two or a dozen NOM NOM NOM). As long as I don't keep them in the house, I'm safe--the hardest part is walking on by when getting groceries LOL.

    There are quite a number of protein bars that are sweet and have a good protein to calorie ratio. Right now, I'm loving the dark chocolate peanut butter Nature Valley protein bars. I account for them in my food plan so I can eat them guilt free and they satisfy my sweet tooth. Halo Top is also another go to for me. It's sweet, there are a lot of different flavor options and it has a decent protein to calorie ratio. The higher protein content might help compared to the sort of sweets you are permitting yourself to indulge in now.

    I ate A LOT of diet Jello when I was first starting out too but that seems to have passed for whatever reason. It's a good option if gummi bears and such like are your thing.
  • FL_HikerFL_Hiker Posts: 907Member Member Posts: 907Member Member
    gelo33 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    How do you all manage sweet cravings? I always do well but cave in when it comes to chocolates and biscuits.
    I previously never had a sweet tooth so I can’t understand what is going on.
    Does switching up protein and fats help to bring sugar cravings down?
    Thanks for any advice and help.
    Forgot to add I try to factor them in my daily calories but end up having extra 🙄
    Eg I factor in one chocolate (12g) for after lunch and 2 biscuits for the evening but end up doubling the quantities.

    This probably doesn’t help your problem but have you ever had chocolate gravy and biscuits for breakfast? It’s hands down the most amazing thing ever lol sounds right up your alley! I’m a big sweets person too, I just make room for them every day. I’m healthy, my bloodwork always comes back perfect, I have good teeth, just don’t see a problem with it. My great Grammy lived to be 100 years old and she ate mostly chocolate for her meals, theres gotta be something to it right?!

    9l6x6o6c2c6h.jpeg
    edited January 5
  • rheddmobilerheddmobile Posts: 4,017Member Member Posts: 4,017Member Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    gelo33 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    How do you all manage sweet cravings? I always do well but cave in when it comes to chocolates and biscuits.
    I previously never had a sweet tooth so I can’t understand what is going on.
    Does switching up protein and fats help to bring sugar cravings down?
    Thanks for any advice and help.
    Forgot to add I try to factor them in my daily calories but end up having extra 🙄
    Eg I factor in one chocolate (12g) for after lunch and 2 biscuits for the evening but end up doubling the quantities.

    This probably doesn’t help your problem but have you ever had chocolate gravy and biscuits for breakfast? It’s hands down the most amazing thing ever lol sounds right up your alley! I’m a big sweets person too, I just make room for them every day. I’m healthy, my bloodwork always comes back perfect, I have good teeth, just don’t see a problem with it. My great Grammy lived to be 100 years old and she ate mostly chocolate for her meals, theres gotta be something to it right?!

    9l6x6o6c2c6h.jpeg

    I can't manage biscuits with my diabetes but I had a chocolate-based breakfast this morning - Greek yogurt with cacao powder and fresh raspberries (along with bacon and eggs.) Cacao powder is only 20 calories a tablespoon and turns anything into a chocolate festival.
  • apullumapullum Posts: 2,991Member Member Posts: 2,991Member Member
    I eat chocolate every day.

    I have chocolate for breakfast almost every morning: Greek yogurt mixed with chocolate PB2, chocolate protein powder, and fiber cereal. Mmm.

    I also have a piece of chocolate for dessert almost every evening. My husband and I buy nice chocolate bars and we share one after dinner.

    I usually keep chocolate protein bars around too. Currently I'm enjoying Quest double chocolate chunk bars.
  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Posts: 7,342Member Member Posts: 7,342Member Member
    gelo33 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    How do you all manage sweet cravings? I always do well but cave in when it comes to chocolates and biscuits.
    I previously never had a sweet tooth so I can’t understand what is going on.
    Does switching up protein and fats help to bring sugar cravings down?
    Thanks for any advice and help.
    Forgot to add I try to factor them in my daily calories but end up having extra 🙄
    Eg I factor in one chocolate (12g) for after lunch and 2 biscuits for the evening but end up doubling the quantities.

    @gelo33 different things work for different people when it comes to cravings for sweets. My were gone in about 4 weeks after I cold turkey stopped eating all foods containing added sugar and or any form of any grain. That was over 4 years ago after 40 years of over the top cravings and they have not returned yet. Without understanding what I was doing I naturally morphed into a Way Of Eating (WOE) where most of my calories came from fats and protein. I do eat a lot of 100% Cacao Chocolate bars because I love it and it is relative carb free. A 4 oz bar contains a net of 8 grams of carbs and eat one a day often. I only eat stuff that I crave but unlike before I get stuffed and would now gag if I tried binging anymore on my now favor foods.

    There is no one magic WOE so just work to find one that works for you over time.

    Best of success.
Sign In or Register to comment.