What is up with wearing clothes that are to small for you?

Options

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    So no one is allowed to have an opinion anymore?

The internet is a great place to share opinions, unless you have one.

OP, don't worry about the people bashing you, this clearly hit too close to home for them to handle.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The cut can be a pain... because we're not all the same shape/size and depending on what store you go to, the dimensions of your regular size can vary wildly.

In the UK I would say I'm a 10... and yet I've tried on H&M shorts in 14 and they wouldn't get over my thighs/ hips never mind button up at all.
    However I have size 8 jeans from another store and they hang off me, I have to wear a belt.

Remember the way they make these clothes is far from an exact science. In an ideal world they would make clothes to fit bodies and not the other way around.
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Really, it doesn't matter. Fit is a matter of personal preference as much as style. Some people feel sexier in clothing more snug. Some people feel invisible in sizes too large. Some women fluctuate in weight so much it's hard to have many sizes in one closet. Sometimes it's embarrassing to shop for larger sizes. Sometimes it's a matter of time and finance. Try to be sensitive and self-aware. That's the best you can do.

^ This :smile:
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I like clothes that flatter me. It won't help personally if I wear something too small and look bad in it. I work hard for me body and I feel like squeezing into something won't do it any justice. I just bought a pair of workout shorts that squeezed the hell out of me. My bf thought they looked good but I felt like a sausage and returned them getting a nice comfy t-shirt! lol.....I thought it was unflattering....to each their own though!
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Maybe sometimes that is all they have to wear and can't afford to buy larger sizes?

I think the worst offenders are people buying wedding dresses.

Sorry but if I weigh 200 or 300 lbs and I am squeezing into a strapless dress, my arms look like big sausages hanging out. It is not flattering at all.

I think most people have poor judgement on what looks flattering on themselves anyway. I would be hesitant to start a topic like this if I was myself was looking sloppy, wearing unflattering clothes and hair style.

^^^^^ THIS about the wedding dresses -- totally! Ever watch "Say Yes to the Dress" on TLC? My daughters and I have watched it, and seen girls that are at least size 16, some as big as 20 (I say this affectionately, not long ago I was one of those sizes). . . squeezing into a strapless, midriff hugging dress, boobs and arm-area fat squeezed up and spilling out the sides. SO UNFLATTERING!! And there are other styles that would be flattering. I just don't get it. . .
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I wore too-small clothes when I was in denial about my weight gain. I wasn't ready to face that I was fat. Then, I wore stretchy clothes for a while. Finally, I ordered a whole new season's worth of new work clothes in "my size" and when they came literally nothing fit, like they were miniatures. For a hot minute, I considered that they sent me ALL mislabled/missized clothes. Then I realized I needed to get my *kitten* under control and joined MFP.

^ This.

I do find that when I wear clothes that fit properly, I look a thinner also.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    For me, part of the problem had been that many bottoms (pants, jeans, and shorts) were really lose on my legs, but fit well on the waist. It made me feel larger than I truly was, and so I'd go down one size so that my legs didn't feel like they were swimming in material. But I'd also wear tops in public that would cover up that little "muffin top". I primarily wear skirts and dresses, so it wasn't often I'd wear those in public either.

But now that I have lost close to 10 inches off of my waist, that's not an issue anymore. Now I have the almost opposite issue - I need to wear a belt a lot of times! LOL!
  • _NautiBuoy_
    _NautiBuoy_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think it helps accentuate my "goods"
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    What I have a problem with, apart from size, is LEGGINGS they look good on no-one but those wearing them correctly at the gym i.e fitness/sports leggings. Sorry but wearing then that are saggy, over stretched or see through is not nice even on the skinning people. Keep your bottom covered!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Maybe sometimes that is all they have to wear and can't afford to buy larger sizes?

Sorry but if I weigh 200 or 300 lbs and I am squeezing into a strapless dress, my arms look like big sausages hanging out. It is not flattering at all.

I think most people have poor judgement on what looks flattering on themselves anyway. I would be hesitant to start a topic like this if I was myself was looking sloppy, wearing unflattering clothes and hair style.

^^^^^ THIS about the wedding dresses -- totally! Ever watch "Say Yes to the Dress" on TLC? My daughters and I have watched it, and seen girls that are at least size 16, some as big as 20 (I say this affectionately, not long ago I was one of those sizes). . . squeezing into a strapless, midriff hugging dress, boobs and arm-area fat squeezed up and spilling out the sides. SO UNFLATTERING!! And there are other styles that would be flattering. I just don't get it. . .

To be fair, the women on those shows are trying on sample dresses, which are up to size 16 if you're very lucky. Most dress stores in states that don't have a huge obesity problem (like my home state of WV) only carry sample dresses up to size 8. The women really are being squeezed into something that completely doesn't fit in order to get an idea of how it looks, then the dresses are tailored to fit them better once they've actually bought them.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with tight pants on men. Especially Jareth. That is all.

david-bowie-bulge-gif.gif
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Some people like their clothes tight, that's their preference and they're entitled to it. Some people might be growing out of their clothes and either can't afford new clothes or don't notice/are in denial that they don't fit anymore.

Either way, who cares? I don't let what other people are wearing bother me.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

With a show like "Say Yes to the Dress" you also have to keep in mind that the store doesn't always have the size needed in stock so they will put a woman in a smaller dress with a modesty panel in the back. The dress they end up "Saying yes" to might be two sizes smaller than the one that is ordered.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I must say that (disclaimer: In MY OPINION, not judging anyone in particular) I would prefer seeing muffin top any day of the week over camel toes :noway:
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I tend to wear clothes a bit too big on me because I don't want the world to see my flaws. I can wear a size large, and it would look fine, but I stick with the xl. When it gets too big then I will buy more clothes. I do need to go winter/fall clothes shopping so I hope to lose more weight before the fall starts.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Gimme, gimmer moar.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Best Advice: "Just because it Zips doesn't mean it fits" :noway:

BUT....I have been there before too on the way "up" - it sucks to have to buy bigger clothes.

NOW i am 80 lbs down - I love wading around in my way too big cargo capris from last summer - i know they don't look good, but they make me FEEL GOOD!!! now i have room for me + Cargo in them. :tongue: :bigsmile:
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options

One of my favorite movies ever!!!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Some people have different mirrors? Or don't have them at all. I'm the opposite. I tend to wear clothes that are way too big & make me look bigger.

So do I, it drives my family crazy. But I can't stand clothes that "fit". My daughter gave me a blazer and it was so tight it made my shoulders hump, and it was up to my waist. She said it was a correct fit on me!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Gimme, gimmer moar.
    831.gif