Keto Diet

Options
erinlane93
erinlane93 Posts: 170 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

Has anyone tried keto diet before? I have started it today and would love any additional advice or help xx

Replies

• AdamPay1990
    AdamPay1990 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    One mistake I made early on with Keto was too much protein and not enough healthy fats. Thomas DeLauer on YouTube has the complete Keto bible. Let me know if you need anything feel free to add me up 🤙
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    One mistake I made early on with Keto was too much protein and not enough healthy fats. Thomas DeLauer on YouTube has the complete Keto bible. Let me know if you need anything feel free to add me up 🤙

There really isnt a problem with eating too much protein. In fact, there is no more important macro than protein during weight loss. And as much as i like his videos there is typical bro-science in them.

OP, the key is keeping net carbs between 20-50g.. generally at the low end if you aren't active. Get adequate sodium 3500mg+ and adequate protein (1.5-2.2g/kg of weight or 1g/lb of goal weight is a quick way to look at it).

If you feel tired or flu like symptoms, add more salt or drink broth. If after doing that, and you still feel hungry or tired, reassess if keto is right for you. Not everyone does well with little carbs

Perfect response. As per the usual.

Right. Turning protein to glucose is called gluconeogenesis. It happens all the time at a mostly fixed rate to feed tissues that only run on glucose. Even eating a boatload of protein is only going to produce 2-3g of glucose which will then feed those tissues or restore glycogen.

Weight loss cannibalizes lean muscle mass to a degree for all diets. This is worse for those who do not get enough protein for their height, weight, and activity level. We need that muscle mass to keep us healthy humans long term.

It's best to stay away from YouTube videos when doing research, particularly for weight loss. Everybody with a camera can say anything. A lot of them are people who like to hear themselves talk but that information is often just wrong. :smirk:

OP and AdamPay, you should visit these sources:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    https://perfectketo.com/gluconeogenesis/ (I cannot speak to the accuracy of any other articles on this site, but this specific one seems to be on the mark AFAIK.)

We also have 2 groups you might find helpful:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto - Only Keto.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum -All Low-Carb, but a huge keto membership

I did keto for a straight 1.5 years and lost all my extra weight. Now I'm just reg low-carb.
    I help mod the 2nd group and skulk around the 1st commenting from time to time. Come join us. :smile:

• erinlane93
    Options
    Awww thank you for the advice, will add you now.

• erinlane93
    Options
    Thank you so much, so helpful

There really isnt a problem with eating too much protein. In fact, there is no more important macro than protein during weight loss. And as much as i like his videos there is typical bro-science in them.

OP, the key is keeping net carbs between 20-50g.. generally at the low end if you aren't active. Get adequate sodium 3500mg+ and adequate protein (1.5-2.2g/kg of weight or 1g/lb of goal weight is a quick way to look at it).

If you feel tired or flu like symptoms, add more salt or drink broth. If after doing that, and you still feel hungry or tired, reassess if keto is right for you. Not everyone does well with little carbs

• erinlane93
    Options
    I have just joined all your groups, thank you for being so helpful!!
    baconslave wrote: »

Perfect response. As per the usual.

Right. Turning protein to glucose is called gluconeogenesis. It happens all the time at a mostly fixed rate to feed tissues that only run on glucose. Even eating a boatload of protein is only going to produce 2-3g of glucose which will then feed those tissues or restore glycogen.

Weight loss cannibalizes lean muscle mass to a degree for all diets. This is worse for those who do not get enough protein for their height, weight, and activity level. We need that muscle mass to keep us healthy humans long term.

It's best to stay away from YouTube videos when doing research, particularly for weight loss. Everybody with a camera can say anything. A lot of them are people who like to hear themselves talk but that information is often just wrong. :smirk:

OP and AdamPay, you should visit these sources:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    https://perfectketo.com/gluconeogenesis/ (I cannot speak to the accuracy of any other articles on this site, but this specific one seems to be on the mark AFAIK.)

We also have 2 groups you might find helpful:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto - Only Keto.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum -All Low-Carb, but a huge keto membership

I did keto for a straight 1.5 years and lost all my extra weight. Now I'm just reg low-carb.
    I help mod the 2nd group and skulk around the 1st commenting from time to time. Come join us. :smile:

• ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I did it once and lost 70 pounds. Its a great diet if you can stick to it.
  • Laelana716
    Laelana716 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

This is the CLEAREST answer I have seen to Macro break down! I also now feel like I ought to raise my protein limits, cause 95 lbs would look sickly on me!! 😂😂