Help..I am going crazy :(

Options

Replies

• mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Don’t get me wrong there are some things I LOVE about the diet, because I am cooking more and that is a blast (lazy S.o.a.B. I am), so I can prep my food. But I am not high on veggies. Chocolate helps with pain and I have severe arthritis. Even the instance breakfast is good. I mean I can make healthier choices but still eat what I want right? I just…I feel miserable and it is so hard for me to do. But then my friend has a good point “if I can get off drugs, you can do a diet” – which he is a great supporter, but I am worried I am going to let everyone down. I am tempted to go back to my 1200 and just tweak a few things to better work with me (like bring back my milk, cheese and multi grain cherrios).

look into paleo or primal, or even 'clean eating'. I've been doing my own version for about two months now and I love it. Eat as much fruit as you want! Just nothing processed. You don't crave the foods you're avoiding (like you clearly are with this crazy diet). You can be as strict or relaxed as you want.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    What are your reasons for doing this diet? Is it to cure candida (a quick google suggests that this diet isnt very effective at achieving that) Or is it primarily to lose weight, and you've decided that your body is exactly the same as your friends' and what works for them will automatically work for you too?

That sounds a bit harsh, and I dont mean it to - I just wanted to clarify what your goals are.

I have a lot of medical issues and we have been looking through diets and what not to see what could possibly help with my issues and this one seemed to tackle at least 15 things that I struggle with. I am always willing to try everything once, but day four starts in 15 minutes and I honestly don't think I could hack it much longer. I really wanted the opinions of others around here. I have received GREAT help from MFP before and I just need it again. Last time I tried a restrictive diet I stayed awake all night crying because I could not have a bowl of cereal. It isn't that I don't have the will power or the drive, but honestly, I would rather go through Chinese water torture.
    The guy who just spent $100K on a new car will also tell you it's the best car he's ever owned, even if the seats are uncomfortable, the road noise is unbearable, and it gets 8 mpg. I think very, very little of ultra low/no carb diets, but what's important here is what you think. If a diet is not sustainable for the long-term, then do something else.

This made me smile and laugh. I brag about my car all the time and it is the best car I ever owned, but my bubble is not new, but 45 mpg is amazing! I love my little hybrid. I am addicted to sugar/carbs, that is why I posted this here. I am just trying not to cry - feel like a baby about this.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    Don’t get me wrong there are some things I LOVE about the diet, because I am cooking more and that is a blast (lazy S.o.a.B. I am), so I can prep my food. But I am not high on veggies. Chocolate helps with pain and I have severe arthritis. Even the instance breakfast is good. I mean I can make healthier choices but still eat what I want right? I just…I feel miserable and it is so hard for me to do. But then my friend has a good point “if I can get off drugs, you can do a diet” – which he is a great supporter, but I am worried I am going to let everyone down. I am tempted to go back to my 1200 and just tweak a few things to better work with me (like bring back my milk, cheese and multi grain cherrios).

look into paleo or primal, or even 'clean eating'. I've been doing my own version for about two months now and I love it. Eat as much fruit as you want! Just nothing processed. You don't crave the foods you're avoiding (like you clearly are with this crazy diet). You can be as strict or relaxed as you want.

Thank you so much. This is just so hard. I know I needed help so that is why I asked my friends on MFP.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on eating like this for the rest of your life? Could you, in all honesty sustain this diet for the rest of your life?

If the answer to either of these questions is "no" - then seriously reconsider this diet. What is your goal? Health? To lose fat as quickly as possible? To lose fat and maintain a healthy weight for life?

If it's health, then this diet isn't really all that healthy. It's making you feel ill. Yes it's been sold to you as "withdrawal" but food is not the same as an addictive drug. You need food. You can't go cold turkey from food. You have to learn to eat in moderation which includes enjoying all your favourite foods in moderation too. Also, while strictly speaking carbohydrates are not essential as the body can function (somewhat) without them, your body functions a whole lot better with them. Especially with regards to exercise. And some people are better at functioning without carbs than others. People with perfect physical and mental health may not notice any loss of functionality on a very low carb diet, although even they will not be able to work out as effectively. (They may think they are if they are not measuring what they're achieving (e.g. timed runs, lifting specific amounts of weight, etc) because they feel so tired...) However, anyone who has a mental or physical health weakness, this can be made worse with no carbs in the system. More importantly, there's no actual health benefit to being on such a low carb diet. While the human body can function on it, there's a big difference between "the bare minimum needed for survival" and "what the body needs for optimal health and functionality". The vast majority of people need carbs for the latter. You are saying yourself how bad you feel and how torturous this is.... well there's no health benefit to what you're doing. Even diabetics are not put on diets that are so restrictive. Yes some people (e.g. those with insulin resistance, PCOS and similar) do need to be more careful about carbs than others... but even for these people there's no need to be as strict as you're being. And if you don't have a medical condition that requires being strict about carbs, there really is no need to be!

RE trying to lose weight as quickly as possible - this goal is not compatible with the goal of health or long term maintenance. The human body can only burn so much fat at one time, and that amounts to about 2lb a week if you have a lot to lose, and probably as little as 0.5lb a week if you're already at a healthy body fat percentage. If you're losing more than this then it's water weight, glycogen, and if the undereating is severe or goes on for a long time, you can be losing muscle mass and bone density. These weight losses are not sustainable because water weight goes back on again as soon as you start eating normally again, and if you lose lean mass from a diet, when you regain the weight it comes back as pure fat, and loss of lean mass = slower metabolism so it's easier to regain it. So if this is your goal, then I beg you to reconsider and focus more on health and long term maintenance.

If long term maintenance is your goal, i.e. if you want to lose fat and keep it off forever, then what you need to remember is however you lose the weight, you have to keep eating like that to stop yourself from regaining the weight. So unless you want to eat like this for the rest of your life, then don't do this diet. Instead, use a calorie calculator to find out the largest number of calories you can eat and still lose weight (e.g. set your MFP goal for 1lb a week (or 0.5lb a week if you have only a few lbs to lose)) and eat that number while focusing mainly on getting all the nutrients your body needs (protein, fat, carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre) but also try to fit sensible serving sizes of all your favourite foods into your calorie goal.... you lose weight slowly and steadily, you don't feel deprived, you definitely don't feel ill, and you can maintain it forever because you're not depriving yourself of anything, you're just learning how to eat the right sized portions of everything and to feed your body properly.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Well. First I want to say that I am, in general, against restrictive diets unless prescribed by a doctor for the sake of known/diagnosed medical issues OR because the person on the diet truly enjoys it. It seems clear that you are not enjoying it, so lets move on past that.

The healthiest/best diet is the one you can stick to and will be happy doing. For some people that's Primal or Vegetarian or Clean or IIFYM; it doesn't really matter what you choose as long as you can see yourself continuing it long term. For me it's eating to meet my macros (and micros) and then using the rest of my calories as I see fit. I eat ice cream just about every night and this makes me happy, and so I'm able to stick with it without feeling awful or restricted or upset.

So, the question here is obvious: Can you stick with this diet for a week? A Month? Six months? A year? Longer? Can you stick to it and truly be happy? If not then it's possible this way of eating just isn't for you. Why not try something a little less restrictive before you go jumping all the way to the end of the pool? Baby steps, you know?
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Topic: Help..I am going crazy :(

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ON A CANDIDA DIET... LOOK INTO " WHOLEAPPROCH .COM" THEY HAVE A GREAT PRINTOUT LIST OF FOODS, THE WITHDRAWS AND CRAVINGS WILL GO AWAY, I GOT CANDIDA FROM MEDICATIONS AND MY WHOLE BODY STARTED ITCHING LIKE POSION OAK, BUT IT HAS MOSTLY GONE AWAY NOW EXCEPT IF I GET OVER HEATED,THE CANDIDA WILL TAKE APX 3 -12 MONTHS AND MAYBE EVEN LONGER AND YOU CAN HAVE CANDIDA INSIDE AND/OR OUTSIDE ON THE SKIN I WAS TOLD I WILL ALWAYS HAVE TO BE CAREFUL, THIS IS NOT LIKE THE GIRLY YEAST INFECTION.

SOMETIMES I DO HAVE A FEW BLUEBERRIES, (LIMITING FRUIT IS BOTH BECAUSE OF THE SUGAR AND MOLD EFFECT) SOMETIMES IN MY YOGURT (ORGANIC PLAIN SHEEP OR GOAT) AND TAKE PROBOTICS AM / PM. IM EATING A CLEAN, RAW, ORGANIC DIET 85-90 % OF THE TIME , NO WHITES, NO GLUTEN OR GRAINS OF ANY KIND, DAIRY BY PRODUCT ONLY (YOGURT) NO NIGHT SHADES, AND IM REBOUNDING FOR MY LYUMPS.

GOOD LUCK , THIS IS A VERY RESTRICTIVE DIET BUT DO ABLE AND HEALTHY.
    MFP,
    HELP!
    So, I am on this diet, where I cut out 99.9% of my carbs and sugars.
    This means:
    No Sugar
    No Fruit
    No Bread
    No Dairy
    My friends tell me the first week is the hardest, but it does get easier. Now, I am not saying that I do not believe them because I know they are right and it has worked for them. But I am breaking into day four here in a few minutes and I think I am going to lose my marbles. I am craving Skittles, cheese enchiladas, Oreos… and other things. I am so nauseas from what I have been eating here in the past three days – but I was told it is because I am going through withdrawals from the yeast and sugars. The effects from the withdrawals as I was told are:
    Shakes
    Sweats
    Nausea
    Deliria
    And what not, but I am just worried. Is this natural going through this? The nausea and cravings? When I was on 1200-1400calories I was fine, but I also ate what I want. I mean, yes this is healthier, but I am wondering if it is really worth it. I really need support and many other things…help?
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    So, the question here is obvious: Can you stick with this diet for a week? A Month? Six months? A year? Longer? Can you stick to it and truly be happy? If not then it's possible this way of eating just isn't for you. Why not try something a little less restrictive before you go jumping all the way to the end of the pool? Baby steps, you know?

I am just cracking three days and I am losing my mind. Day two was not functioning that I nearly walked into a stop sign from delirium. Today I was fine until about an hour ago. I have had success at quitting cold turkey on other things, but maybe this is just something I shouldn't do.
  • alyngard
    alyngard Posts: 103
    Options
    I would agree with the others, it doesn't seem like something that is maintainable long term (especially if you are already so miserable). Although I don't know what all your health problems are, is it possible that you can just pick and choose from various food groups? What I mean by that is, if you found that diary exacerbates a symptom, then don't eat diary, but that doesn't mean you can't eat a whole grain carb or fruit. It's your life, your "diet", pick and choose what works for you. I truly think the only people that should be really restrictive with their diets are people that have severe health issues (diabetes, lactose intolerance etc), or if there is a type of food that maybe triggers overeating in you, then maybe you should avoid that.

The only thing that major restricting is going to do for you, is cause you to end up eventually binging on it. As far as my opinion goes.....it is a baaaad idea.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I am just cracking three days and I am losing my mind. Day two was not functioning that I nearly walked into a stop sign from delirium. Today I was fine until about an hour ago. I have had success at quitting cold turkey on other things, but maybe this is just something I shouldn't do.

Like I said, if you can't see yourself eating a certain way long term then just...let it go. Try something eles. Alyngard makes a great suggestion: figure what foods (if any) cause issues with your medical conditions and stop eating those, but don't throw out the whole ( food) baby with the (restriction) bathwater
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    dont do this diet, its unsustainable. calories in < calories out

simple as that
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    Okay, I noticed that my health issues pop up a lot and I will share them with you:
    Depression
    Anxiety
    Insomnia
    Shakes
    Night Sweats
    Arthritis
    Greying of Teeth
    Premature Greying of hair (this is NEW, as in just found in a week)
    Drastically low Testosterone and Estrogen

I am getting medical treatment for 4 of those things.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It's fine if it's working for THEM, but you have to do what's best for YOU. If you continue with the Candida diet you probably WILL lose the rest of your "marbles."
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    It's fine if it's working for THEM, but you have to do what's best for YOU. If you continue with the Candida diet you probably WILL lose the rest of your "marbles."

With my luck I would lose them, then find them in the process of tripping on them
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My SIL went on this for a while to deal with some medical issues that some naturalist (MD? not sure) said were caused by yeast. Bottom line - it is very difficult to live like that and she eventually gave up. My thought - it is possible that the theory has some merit, and it is possible that it's a lot of BS. just because soemone says so, doesn't make it so. Just because some doctor said that this is what needs to be done - doesn't mean this has merit.

I'm not saying that a person NEEDS skittles and oreos (ok, maybe we need the oreos, but i think we can live without the skittles:laugh: ), but balance balance balance. read some of the posts and blogs that people write here, how they lost pound after pound by simple math ---> calories in and calories out. exercise. water. rest. people have lowered their weight, got rid of back /knee/joint pain, fixed their sugar/cholesterol/bp, managed to get pregnant after years of trying, etc etc etc.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    My SIL went on this for a while to deal with some medical issues that some naturalist (MD? not sure) said were caused by yeast. Bottom line - it is very difficult to live like that and she eventually gave up. My thought - it is possible that the theory has some merit, and it is possible that it's a lot of BS. just because soemone says so, doesn't make it so. Just because some doctor said that this is what needs to be done - doesn't mean this has merit.

I'm not saying that a person NEEDS skittles and oreos (ok, maybe we need the oreos, but i think we can live without the skittles:laugh: ), but balance balance balance. read some of the posts and blogs that people write here, how they lost pound after pound by simple math ---> calories in and calories out. exercise. water. rest. people have lowered their weight, got rid of back /knee/joint pain, fixed their sugar/cholesterol/bp, managed to get pregnant after years of trying, etc etc etc.

:drinker:
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! This means a lot to me. It has really cleared my mind up and helped me think of somethings and what I want to do..I still have a long way. I have done it before I can do it again. I just...I just need help from myself.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Okay, I noticed that my health issues pop up a lot and I will share them with you:
    Depression
    Anxiety
    Insomnia
    Shakes
    Night Sweats
    Arthritis
    Greying of Teeth

Did you clear this with you doctor?
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Depression
    Anxiety
    Insomnia
    Shakes
    Night Sweats
    Arthritis
    Greying of Teeth

Lowering your carbs to 25% will offer some relief however you need to address your hormonal issues immediately. Once those are resolved you should be able to handle simple carbs better.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    Depression
    Anxiety
    Insomnia
    Shakes
    Night Sweats
    Arthritis
    Greying of Teeth

Did you clear this with you doctor?

No.
    My doctor is the one who wants me on a 1200 calorie diet.
    My "mental" doctor is making sure to put me on medication that wont cause me much weight gain because she knows I am SUPER self continuous.
    And the doctor that helps with my Estrogen and Testosterone said "good luck" and that he was on a similar diet, but nothing that strict. I have seemed to be stuck at my weight since I started this treatment. (but I need the treatment lol)
  • nickijo2003
    nickijo2003 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You feel that way because your starving your body of the nutriants it needs to function propery. loosing weight is about a life long healthy diet and fitness plan. as soon as you start eating normaly again you will gain weight again. I have lost almost 3st and have never denied myself anything, everything in moderation is the key.