Help..I am going crazy :(

Options

Replies

• gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day the equation is simple: eat fewer calories (however you count them), exercise more = weight loss. Now the hard part – willpower. I have trouble with that part believe me I do but I find it best when I count my calories and have the 80% / 20% rule – 80% of the time I’m good which means – occasionally I can indulge in my 20% naughty food. Highly restrictive diets are just pants. I struggle at the best of times (just read my diary entries!) but I would not last a nano second on the diet you are on! Dieting can be difficult why make it even harder.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Okay, I noticed that my health issues pop up a lot and I will share them with you:
    Depression
    Anxiety
    Insomnia
    Shakes
    Night Sweats
    Arthritis
    Greying of Teeth
    Premature Greying of hair (this is NEW, as in just found in a week)
    Drastically low Testosterone and Estrogen

I am getting medical treatment for 4 of those things.

Did you clear this with you doctor?

No.
    My doctor is the one who wants me on a 1200 calorie diet.
    My "mental" doctor is making sure to put me on medication that wont cause me much weight gain because she knows I am SUPER self continuous.
    And the doctor that helps with my Estrogen and Testosterone said "good luck" and that he was on a similar diet, but nothing that strict. I have seemed to be stuck at my weight since I started this treatment. (but I need the treatment lol)

I really really advise against continuing it. Just sort out a reasonable deficit and manage your foods to hit that. I just do not see why you need to be on such a restrictive diet that is making you feel horrible.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Okay, I noticed that my health issues pop up a lot and I will share them with you:
    Depression
    Anxiety
    Insomnia
    Shakes
    Night Sweats
    Arthritis
    Greying of Teeth

No.
    My "mental" doctor is making sure to put me on medication that wont cause me much weight gain because she knows I am SUPER self continuous.
    And the doctor that helps with my Estrogen and Testosterone said "good luck" and that he was on a similar diet, but nothing that strict. I have seemed to be stuck at my weight since I started this treatment. (but I need the treatment lol)

I really really advise against continuing it. Just sort out a reasonable deficit and manage your foods to hit that. I just do not see why you need to be on such a restrictive diet that is making you feel horrible.

I had another diet I was on, I lasted one day and I broke down crying. It was screwing with my meds because I was lacking things and taking drops. Yeah..I wanna look good and not make myself feel horrible.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    MFP,
    HELP!
    So, I am on this diet, where I cut out 99.9% of my carbs and sugars.
    This means:
    No Sugar
    No Fruit
    No Bread
    No Dairy
    My friends tell me the first week is the hardest, but it does get easier. Now, I am not saying that I do not believe them because I know they are right and it has worked for them. But I am breaking into day four here in a few minutes and I think I am going to lose my marbles. I am craving Skittles, cheese enchiladas, Oreos… and other things. I am so nauseas from what I have been eating here in the past three days – but I was told it is because I am going through withdrawals from the yeast and sugars. The effects from the withdrawals as I was told are:
    Shakes
    Sweats
    Nausea
    Deliria
    And what not, but I am just worried. Is this natural going through this? The nausea and cravings? When I was on 1200-1400calories I was fine, but I also ate what I want. I mean, yes this is healthier, but I am wondering if it is really worth it. I really need support and many other things…help?

I'm sorry to tell you this, but your friends failed you. You don't go from "normal" diet to 0,1% carbs just like that. You slowly decrease your carb intake, over weeks! Besides, it's impossible to cut 99,9% carbs from a diet and stay healthy. Veggies contain carbs. Yes, lots of fiber, but sugar as well. And when you're eating low carb, lots and lots of non starchy veggies are advised (I'd even say required). Whatever this diet it is, I think it's ridiculous (and I'm a keto advocate!) No diet is supposed to make you feel bad, after all, your goal is to be healthy and feel well... End it, really.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    I am going to end it. No since in making myself miserable.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Depression
    Anxiety
    Insomnia
    Shakes
    Night Sweats
    Arthritis
    Greying of Teeth

No.

I have mental health issues (PTSD, which has led to depression in the past) and from experience:

- low carb makes it MUCH worse.
    - I don't handle eating at a calorie deficit very well
    - really strenuous exercise helps, including eating enough calories to sustain the exercise (I lift heavy weights and eat a lot)
    - insufficient amounts of any nutrient makes it worse so I focus on getting all the nutrients my body needs
    - getting enough healthy fat (i.e. fats that contain omega 3s, fat soluble vitamins especially vitamin D) helps
    - getting enough sunlight helps too (i.e. more vitamin D... you need sunlight on the skin for that)

Personally, I would not be able to function on a 1200 calorie diet. When I was losing fat (I'm currently eating to gain weight/strength) I was losing very slowly on 1800 calories a day. Due to the effect that too big a calorie deficit has on my mental health (i.e. getting "hangry" and the PTSD being more easily triggered) I won't eat at anything other than a very small deficit for very slow fat loss. So I would not aim for faster weight loss than 0.5lb a week.

Unless you have a LOT of extra weight to lose (like 100lb+), then I wouldn't recommend a big deficit. (the more you have to lose the bigger a deficit you can get away with, but even with 100lb+ to lose I wouldn't aim for more than 2-3lb a week weight loss, 2lb if it's easier to stick to the calorie goal) General practitioner doctors may not be aware of the fact that a very restrictive diet may make mental health issues worse. It's not just the fact that it makes you feel miserable because you're not allowed to eat your favourite foods, it's also because lack of certain nutrients in your system affect how the brain works. The brain is an organ in your body and like any other it needs nutrients. If you have mental health issues, this needs to be taken into account when choosing a diet plan.

RE candida - have you tried probiotics? Build up of candida in the body is usually caused by a lack of "friendly" bacteria. Our insides are not supposed to be sterile. Probiotics can also protect your body against harmful bacteria, not just against candida. Some foods, like traditionally made dairy products such as yoghurt, are naturally probiotic, and this is the best kind, although you can get probiotic supplements (i.e. capsules) from health food shops. I eat lots of laban (Arabic dairy product similar to yoghurt) and yoghurt. If you're allergic to dairy you can get some fruit juices that are probiotic, or there's always the capsules.

re low estrogen and testosterone - have you been on various different restrictive diets for a long time, or is this a new thing? Low levels of these hormones can be the result of long term undereating, or lack of specific nutrients in the diet (if I recall correctly, lack of healthy fat can cause this) - eating a diet that gives your body all the nutrients it needs *may* boost the levels of these hormones in your body. Also weight lifting and strenuous exercise can boost testosterone levels (i.e. raise too low levels to normal levels). Losing body fat can also boost hormone levels as very high levels of body fat in the body can result in hormonal issues. These things may all help to boost the levels of these hormones, but it depends on the cause... if the cause of the low levels is something other than what I've mentioned so far, then what I've mentioned may not help (but it's worth a try) - carry on with your medical treatment of this, but bear in mind that a very restrictive diet may be making things worse

Also, why did your doctor put you on a 1200 cal/day diet? do you have a huge amount of weight to lose? Maybe see if you can be referred to a dietician so you can continue to lose weight, but make sure you're eating what you need to to ensure you're not making your other medical issues worse.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options

re low estrogen and testosterone - have you been on various different restrictive diets for a long time, or is this a new thing? Low levels of these hormones can be the result of long term undereating, or lack of specific nutrients in the diet (if I recall correctly, lack of healthy fat can cause this) - eating a diet that gives your body all the nutrients it needs *may* boost the levels of these hormones in your body. Also weight lifting and strenuous exercise can boost testosterone levels (i.e. raise too low levels to normal levels). Losing body fat can also boost hormone levels as very high levels of body fat in the body can result in hormonal issues. These things may all help to boost the levels of these hormones, but it depends on the cause... if the cause of the low levels is something other than what I've mentioned so far, then what I've mentioned may not help (but it's worth a try) - carry on with your medical treatment of this, but bear in mind that a very restrictive diet may be making things worse

Also, why did your doctor put you on a 1200 cal/day diet? do you have a huge amount of weight to lose? Maybe see if you can be referred to a dietician so you can continue to lose weight, but make sure you're eating what you need to to ensure you're not making your other medical issues worse.

We are honestly not sure what caused my drop in estrogen and testosterone, but I am on some stuff now that I get done every three months and that helps a lot. I was so low on it that my doctor actually asked me how I was functioning because the only people that are that low are in their like 80-90s and I started this at 28, 29 now. But those are helping out a lot.

1200 calories is because I am at 200 pounds and for my height and what not I should be at like 149 or something like that. I was 149 when I left the state and came back to 200+.
  • jeanmoreno
    jeanmoreno Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    agreed! no bread ,no sugar ,yes! but no fruits ??????????????
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Why do people make this whole weight loss thing so hard for themselves?

Eat in a reasonable deficit and exercise. Stop trying to look for an easy way out and just use the tried and true method.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    We are honestly not sure what caused my drop in estrogen and testosterone, but I am on some stuff now that I get done every three months and that helps a lot. I was so low on it that my doctor actually asked me how I was functioning because the only people that are that low are in their like 80-90s and I started this at 28, 29 now. But those are helping out a lot.

1200 calories is because I am at 200 pounds and for my height and what not I should be at like 149 or something like that. I was 149 when I left the state and came back to 200+.

I'm glad you've found something that helps with the hormone levels.

that's not a huge amount of weight to lose, only 50lb... you should be able to lose weight eating more than 1200 calories a day. It goes back to what I said earlier about finding the highest number of calories you can eat and still lose weight slowly... it's more sustainable that way, and less likely to make your other health issues worse. Low hormones and mental health issues may be made worse by a too restrictive diet as I said.... so you could try a higher calorie diet and see if that helps... if you're still losing weight slowly and steadily, that's what you want. Too low calorie diets can be very counterproductive (even if there are no other health issues) simply because they're difficult to stick to and lead to falling off the wagon and periods of overeating or even binge eating. A higher calorie goal is easier to stick to long term and you can fit more of your favourite foods into it (though make sure you're getting enough nutrition first).

There's a thread "in place of a road map" which explains how to use calorie calculators to figure out how much you can eat and still lose weight... the number of calories will be different for everyone because it depends on your height, weight and body fat percentage. Alternatively you can set your MFP calories to lose 1lb a week... if you think about this, it may take you nearly a year to lose 50lb... but it's worth it if that fat is gone forever, forever, forever, as opposed to losing 50lb in a few months, then gaining it all back again by the end of the year because you couldn't stick to the diet..... 95% of diets fail in the long term, which is why it's so essential to focus on long term compliance and health above everything else. I used to be obese, and while it was really slow losing fat at 1lb a week... I'm not obese any more and I'm eating loads and I was maintaining my weight without difficulty, and recently I gained 5lb because I chose to, and it's mostly muscle because I was working out and eating to gain muscle and strength. Before choosing to do that I was maintaining my weight without feeling deprived. The long term focus has paid off, even though it was slow in the meantime.

If you need help calculating your calories, message me and I can help you :flowerforyou:
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    Sounds good
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Eat healthily (a balanced range of foods) and exercise more.

That's my advice.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a ketogenic diet. Is that what you are doing?

Candida diet

Dumbest diet in the word. Or pretty damn close.
    Waste of time.
    It's bunk. Don't take my word for it.
    Mayo Clinic : http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/candida-cleanse/AN01679

And for a laugh ...

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Candida
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    This is not healthier.

They are not your friends.

Go back to your 1400 (or more) calories.
  • orianacastellanos
    orianacastellanos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If i can give you an advise, DON'T DO THIS DIET.

I did it one year ago. I lost 12 kilos in 2 months and I was so happy! Everyone telling me I was so thin and beautiful...
    The problem is I had lost all my muscles. I lost all that weight without exercising so not toned at all. So it wasn't very pretty and I didn't look healthy. A rumor started at work saying I was sick and that's why I looked like that...
    My hair wasn't shiny and my nails broke only by seing them...

Then light weight lasted one year because I got used to it and I almost didn't had breakfast, a "normal" lunch and no dinner.
    Then I met my boyfriend and started having a normal life (like eating 3 times a day). The weight started to come back even when breathing. I gained 4 kilos in one month and lots (really LOTS) of cellulite.

Now I'm trying to deal with it and I found MFP and started working out. I've been here fot 2 monts and I have lost 2 kilos. Ok, is slower than the diet but my body is starting to look healthier and people don't say I'm sick anymore! I'm 5 kilos heavier than the minimum weight reached with the diet. But if I lose 3 or 4 kilos just counting calories and excercising it will be perfect and it will stay in the long term. I think if I havent done this, I would have already gained the 12 kilos back and even more!

This is my humble advise... :-)

Good luck!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Sounds good

I think you're being really great and rational about all of the advice you're being given.

Most of the time when people ask for advice on here they're looking for someone to validate what they already believe but you appear to be open.

Great job with that! Friend request incoming!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Depression
    Anxiety
    Insomnia
    Shakes
    Night Sweats
    Arthritis
    Greying of Teeth

No.

I have a lot of health issues, so I asked my doctor if there was a reason to try cutting out certain foods. He said no and that all of those diets that are supposed to cure arthritis and related conditions are complete bunk.

I'd encourage you to discuss the Candida diet with your doctor because my understanding is that it is not science based.

I also echo the sentiments of other posters about restrictive diets; if you're completely miserable after a couple of days and if your doctor didn't prescribe this diet for you then I can't see any reason to stick with it.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    If you're doing the candida diet because of a yeast problem then I can understand it. A friend of mine has problems with a systemic yeast infection and she periodically goes on this diet to control the yeast in her system (yeast loves sugar). So, I'm familiar with her stories of withdrawal, the shakes, etc.

But if you don't have a problem with yeast, I wonder why you're doing it? The candida diet is very restrictive so so I'd wonder how sustainable it will be.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on eating like this for the rest of your life? Could you, in all honesty sustain this diet for the rest of your life?

If the answer to either of these questions is "no" - then seriously reconsider this diet. What is your goal? Health? To lose fat as quickly as possible? To lose fat and maintain a healthy weight for life?

If it's health, then this diet isn't really all that healthy. It's making you feel ill. Yes it's been sold to you as "withdrawal" but food is not the same as an addictive drug. You need food. You can't go cold turkey from food. You have to learn to eat in moderation which includes enjoying all your favourite foods in moderation too. Also, while strictly speaking carbohydrates are not essential as the body can function (somewhat) without them, your body functions a whole lot better with them. Especially with regards to exercise. And some people are better at functioning without carbs than others. People with perfect physical and mental health may not notice any loss of functionality on a very low carb diet, although even they will not be able to work out as effectively. (They may think they are if they are not measuring what they're achieving (e.g. timed runs, lifting specific amounts of weight, etc) because they feel so tired...) However, anyone who has a mental or physical health weakness, this can be made worse with no carbs in the system. More importantly, there's no actual health benefit to being on such a low carb diet. While the human body can function on it, there's a big difference between "the bare minimum needed for survival" and "what the body needs for optimal health and functionality". The vast majority of people need carbs for the latter. You are saying yourself how bad you feel and how torturous this is.... well there's no health benefit to what you're doing. Even diabetics are not put on diets that are so restrictive. Yes some people (e.g. those with insulin resistance, PCOS and similar) do need to be more careful about carbs than others... but even for these people there's no need to be as strict as you're being. And if you don't have a medical condition that requires being strict about carbs, there really is no need to be!

RE trying to lose weight as quickly as possible - this goal is not compatible with the goal of health or long term maintenance. The human body can only burn so much fat at one time, and that amounts to about 2lb a week if you have a lot to lose, and probably as little as 0.5lb a week if you're already at a healthy body fat percentage. If you're losing more than this then it's water weight, glycogen, and if the undereating is severe or goes on for a long time, you can be losing muscle mass and bone density. These weight losses are not sustainable because water weight goes back on again as soon as you start eating normally again, and if you lose lean mass from a diet, when you regain the weight it comes back as pure fat, and loss of lean mass = slower metabolism so it's easier to regain it. So if this is your goal, then I beg you to reconsider and focus more on health and long term maintenance.

If long term maintenance is your goal, i.e. if you want to lose fat and keep it off forever, then what you need to remember is however you lose the weight, you have to keep eating like that to stop yourself from regaining the weight. So unless you want to eat like this for the rest of your life, then don't do this diet. Instead, use a calorie calculator to find out the largest number of calories you can eat and still lose weight (e.g. set your MFP goal for 1lb a week (or 0.5lb a week if you have only a few lbs to lose)) and eat that number while focusing mainly on getting all the nutrients your body needs (protein, fat, carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre) but also try to fit sensible serving sizes of all your favourite foods into your calorie goal.... you lose weight slowly and steadily, you don't feel deprived, you definitely don't feel ill, and you can maintain it forever because you're not depriving yourself of anything, you're just learning how to eat the right sized portions of everything and to feed your body properly.

^^^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^ If you want forever, come up with a forever plan