Options
124»

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I find it amazing that "correct" gym etiquette requires not offering help to someone likely to injure themselves due to bad form.

It reminds me of calls to "just cheer" when people discuss eating and exercise behaviours that are likely to lead them to crash and burn.

That's what trainers are for... Don't most gyms have trainers out that can help newbies?

Many do have trainers but at the gyms in my area I'm familiar with you pay extra for trainers
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I find it amazing that "correct" gym etiquette requires not offering help to someone likely to injure themselves due to bad form.

It reminds me of calls to "just cheer" when people discuss eating and exercise behaviours that are likely to lead them to crash and burn.

That's what trainers are for... Don't most gyms have trainers out that can help newbies?

Many do have trainers but at the gyms in my area I'm familiar with you pay extra for trainers

^^This. My gym offers one free session and the PT bailed on me twice. Probably because I was clear I did not want long term and just wanted to have just the one session at this time. So no money for him in coming.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    For the most part I keep to myself, but if I see someone that doesn't know how to adjust the height on the monolith, I will show them. A few weeks ago I saw a guy stacking several plates to sit a bench on because he didn't understand how to move the bar rack in the power rack. So I explained how it works. Now why did this person just ask someone, I don't know.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just as a point of information on trainers. I have had more than one, and I'm talking about good ones with degrees and years of experience, tell me that they won't offer unsolicited advice to someone. This is due to liability issues. If they are not under agreement to train that person or the person has not requested their assistance and the person gets injured, they can be sued and their professional liability insurance won't cover it.

Not sure if all the details are straight here. Maybe someone like @ninerbuff can weigh in and clarify.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

My gym has trainers you pay for sessions, or give one free session, but they do not have any floor personnel available. I've always thought that they would be better off putting some personnel out there during the first month of the new year just to help people find their way around, show them how to adjust equipment, help them understand how to use the equipment. I often see people who have too little weight on the machines and send plates slamming or pads bouncing off various body parts because no one ever taught them about how to figure out how much weight to use or controlled movements.