Bad advice in dealing with New Year's resolutioners

Options

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I don't talk to gym ppl. I deal with this inconvenience each year with and internal rage. Someone curls in the squat rack or uses equipment I need and I am on a 1 hour schedule. I don't wish to speak with anyone at my gym 365 days a year. I am not going to instruct any one or correct bad behavior, I am going to mind my business, drink my water and wait them out. I'm going to run my back up routines while they deadlift 135 in the power rack. I will rage on the inside but I know this too shall pass and soon I'll never see them again and I can go back to my regularly scheduled program.

but internally I am raging.

What's the issue with the bolded?

A power rack isn’t typically the place for deads... rack pulls maybe but it’s usually considered bad etiquette - like curling in the squat rack. However, I don’t know if her gym has dedicated spots for DL’s.

Hmm. I've only ever seen deadlifts done in the rack. Maybe just my gym, but that's where I do mine. Squat, OHP the deadlift. And I'm not the only one.

Unless power rack means something different that my gym doesn't have.

ETA. It's also the only place to bench in my gym. No dedicated bench press equipment.

Maybe just confusion about the name. A power rack is a cage setup that has adjustable safety bars that can be adjusted horizontally for height. People do squat and bench in a power rack when a spotter isn’t available - it’s the primary purpose.

Besides not being designed for dead’s and space really being an issue for a loaded bar on the ground - there shouldn’t be any real floor padding or drop mats in a cage.

k21agx8fkiqm.jpeg
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I don't talk to gym ppl. I deal with this inconvenience each year with and internal rage. Someone curls in the squat rack or uses equipment I need and I am on a 1 hour schedule. I don't wish to speak with anyone at my gym 365 days a year. I am not going to instruct any one or correct bad behavior, I am going to mind my business, drink my water and wait them out. I'm going to run my back up routines while they deadlift 135 in the power rack. I will rage on the inside but I know this too shall pass and soon I'll never see them again and I can go back to my regularly scheduled program.

A power rack isn’t typically the place for deads... rack pulls maybe but it’s usually considered bad etiquette - like curling in the squat rack. However, I don’t know if her gym has dedicated spots for DL’s.

Hmm. I've only ever seen deadlifts done in the rack. Maybe just my gym, but that's where I do mine. Squat, OHP the deadlift. And I'm not the only one.

ETA. It's also the only place to bench in my gym. No dedicated bench press equipment.

Maybe just confusion about the name. A power rack is a cage setup that has adjustable safety bars that can be adjusted horizontally for height. People do squat and bench in a power rack when a spotter isn’t available - it’s the primary purpose.

Besides not being designed for dead’s and space really being an issue for a loaded bar on the ground - there shouldn’t be any real floor padding or drop mats in a cage.

k21agx8fkiqm.jpeg

Yeah, that is what my gym has. They have two of them and no separate space for deadlifting. That's where I (and anyone else I've seen) do deadlifts.

Guess I learned something today. Hate when that happens :)

I do DLs in the Power rack as well. There isn't a lot of space on the floors but we have a lot of Power Racks. Besides it's easier to put the barbells on the lower racks to load up as opposed to loading it on the floor. My laziness LOL
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

k21agx8fkiqm.jpeg

Yeah, that is what my gym has. They have two of them and no separate space for deadlifting. That's where I (and anyone else I've seen) do deadlifts.

Guess I learned something today. Hate when that happens :)

I do DLs in the Power rack as well. There isn't a lot of space on the floors but we have a lot of Power Racks. Besides it's easier to put the barbells on the lower racks to load up as opposed to loading it on the floor. My laziness LOL

That's a trick I learned watching another guy set up hi DL.
  • tronjo2002
    tronjo2002 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Around these parts (I have always wanted to say that), whether you are open to chatting or not is indicated by the use or non use of earbuds. Earbuds in, don't bother me.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Anyway, I see absolutely no reason why anyone would get a different treatment... newbie or not. I see no point in making a thread like this, I don't think that any newbie would appreciate being put on a spot... I certainly wouldn't have.
    I agree that we shouldn't give newbies different treatment. As for your second point... for the past couple of years, I keep seeing people (not necessarily here) state that we should befriend the resolutioners, offer to help them out, etc, etc. Clearly a substantial number of people think that's a good idea, but thankfully, the respondents here understand that it isn't.

But there is also a group of people who think it's a good idea. So... only people who agree it's not are right???

In this case, YES. I see absolutely no problem with recognizing that.

Look, on just about any issue, you'll find a group of people who disagree. How does this suggest that neither group is right? It obviously doesn't. I won't be deterred from declaring my stance to be right just because a few people think otherwise. Nor should anyone.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    I find it amazing that "correct" gym etiquette requires not offering help to someone likely to injure themselves due to bad form.

It reminds me of calls to "just cheer" when people discuss eating and exercise behaviours that are likely to lead them to crash and burn.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Gym etiquette is not just a matter of preference any more than basic politeness is. And that's ultimately what gym etiquette is -- common sense politeness.

You mentioned that you appreciated getting help from someone when you were struggling with a machine. That is entirely different from your typical example of unsolicited help. If I see someone having obvious trouble working a machine, then I might indeed offer to help if the situation is really bad -- especially if that person is likely to injure himself. That's not at all the same as the typical scenario of offering unsolicited help, which is pretty darned rude.

Moreover, while you may prefer to receive unsolicited assistance, the vast majority of people do not. It is therefore an extremely bad idea to offer unsolicited help. This is not mere "preference." This is common sense.

But hey, go ahead. Try interrupting the newbies to make friends with them. Better yet, tell the experienced gym goers that they need to make friends with these resolutioners as well. If this is truly just a matter of preference, then you'd be perfectly justified in doing so, and things are bound to turn out just fine.

Hey, you need to actually go back and reread my two posts. I said I actually agreed with your approach to new people, using the nod and smile. Next I never said that I was struggling with the machine, I said I had bad form.

I honestly think common sense would be reading and figuring out when someone is actually agreeing with you. You can carry on arguing but I'm through. As I said before, have a great weekend

No, I understood that you agreed with me on those points. My point is that if you think this is merely a matter of personal preference, then you would have no problem doing it the other way instead, just to see how things turn out. Again, if it is purely a matter of preference and nothing more.

If, on the other hand, one believes that these principles (don't offer unsolicited help, don't distract other gym goers by trying to befriend them, don't oblige other gym goers to do the same, etc) are matters of principle and politeness, then the whole "preference" argument goes out the window.
  • spartan_d
    edited January 2019
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I find it amazing that "correct" gym etiquette requires not offering help to someone likely to injure themselves due to bad form.

It reminds me of calls to "just cheer" when people discuss eating and exercise behaviours that are likely to lead them to crash and burn.
    Nobody said that. In fact, I specifically said that this is an exception to that rule. My exact words in the very first post were:

"Also, unless someone is about to hurt himself or herself, trying to correct them generally doesn't go over well. This holds true for both exercise and for gym etiquette. It's better to let things slide and deal with the inconvenience."

Otherwise, trying to help people without them asking is almost invariably a bad idea.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

That's what trainers are for... Don't most gyms have trainers out that can help newbies?