Bad advice in dealing with New Year's resolutioners

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    We dont get new people at my gym (super small town). but lots of old yappy people who do far more talking than anything resembling a workout.

they have learned, I will chat for about the first 20 minutes. then, headphones on and let me do my thing.

works for all of us. well, its all the chatting they are getting from me, so i dont know if it works for THEM or not, but I also dont care. They are used to it, I'll leave it at that ;) lolol

20 minutes? Wow you are generous.

it was a year of a battle of trying NOT to talk. broke down. i will give them that, a warm up period more or less, then im done with the talking LOL
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Time of day plays a big part in avoiding the new year's crowd. I agree, stay in your lane...help someone out if he/she asks or endangers him/herself. Not a whole lot of N00Bs committed to going to the gym @ 1-3am (24 hour gym), but I find it rather refreshing to see a few new faces in the gym (motivating to someone who has been lifting ~20 years). If someone asks you about an exercise, just simply explain why you do so/rationale; takes like 5 seconds
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I don't talk to gym ppl. I deal with this inconvenience each year with and internal rage. Someone curls in the squat rack or uses equipment I need and I am on a 1 hour schedule. I don't wish to speak with anyone at my gym 365 days a year. I am not going to instruct any one or correct bad behavior, I am going to mind my business, drink my water and wait them out. I'm going to run my back up routines while they deadlift 135 in the power rack. I will rage on the inside but I know this too shall pass and soon I'll never see them again and I can go back to my regularly scheduled program.

but internally I am raging.

What's the issue with the bolded?

A power rack isn’t typically the place for deads... rack pulls maybe but it’s usually considered bad etiquette - like curling in the squat rack. However, I don’t know if her gym has dedicated spots for DL’s.

And that's the thing. IMO a courteous gym member uses the equipment to it's highest purpose. You don't need a power rack to to curls or deadlifts so don't use it (you just need floorspace). Now if there is only one bar available to do deadlifts and its in the squat rack IMO fair game.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I don't talk to gym ppl. I deal with this inconvenience each year with and internal rage. Someone curls in the squat rack or uses equipment I need and I am on a 1 hour schedule. I don't wish to speak with anyone at my gym 365 days a year. I am not going to instruct any one or correct bad behavior, I am going to mind my business, drink my water and wait them out. I'm going to run my back up routines while they deadlift 135 in the power rack. I will rage on the inside but I know this too shall pass and soon I'll never see them again and I can go back to my regularly scheduled program.

A power rack isn’t typically the place for deads... rack pulls maybe but it’s usually considered bad etiquette - like curling in the squat rack. However, I don’t know if her gym has dedicated spots for DL’s.

And that's the thing. IMO a courteous gym member uses the equipment to it's highest purpose. You don't need a power rack to to curls or deadlifts so don't use it (you just need floorspace). Now if there is only one bar available to do deadlifts and its in the squat rack IMO fair game.

Exactly.

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

This is pretty much why I don't go in the weight room without my trainer.

what reason?
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Anyway, I see absolutely no reason why anyone would get a different treatment... newbie or not. I see no point in making a thread like this, I don't think that any newbie would appreciate being put on a spot... I certainly wouldn't have.
    I agree that we shouldn't give newbies different treatment. As for your second point... for the past couple of years, I keep seeing people (not necessarily here) state that we should befriend the resolutioners, offer to help them out, etc, etc. Clearly a substantial number of people think that's a good idea, but thankfully, the respondents here understand that it isn't.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hmm. I've only ever seen deadlifts done in the rack. Maybe just my gym, but that's where I do mine. Squat, OHP the deadlift. And I'm not the only one.

Unless power rack means something different that my gym doesn't have.

ETA. It's also the only place to bench in my gym. No dedicated bench press equipment.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Hmm. I've only ever seen deadlifts done in the rack. Maybe just my gym, but that's where I do mine. Squat, OHP the deadlift. And I'm not the only one.

Unless power rack means something different that my gym doesn't have.

In my gym, it's actually against the rules to do barbell work outside of a cage/rack or off the oly platform.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Anyway, I see absolutely no reason why anyone would get a different treatment... newbie or not. I see no point in making a thread like this, I don't think that any newbie would appreciate being put on a spot... I certainly wouldn't have.
    I agree that we shouldn't give newbies different treatment. As for your second point... for the past couple of years, I keep seeing people (not necessarily here) state that we should befriend the resolutioners, offer to help them out, etc, etc. Clearly a substantial number of people think that's a good idea, but thankfully, the respondents here understand that it isn't.

But there is also a group of people who think it's a good idea. So... only people who agree it's not are right???

Just for context, I agree with you. But I'm willing to admit that there are others who might think/feel differently... that for some, going to the gym can be a social event and that some newbies might appreciate an olive branch being offered or someone more experienced taking them under their wing and helping them get started.

Which is why I go back to the idea that assuming anything about anyone is asking for trouble... even assuming they are a newbie or a New Year's Resolutioner.