60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• sparke92
    sparke92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Glad to find this group! This year I have increased the amt of exercise I do but now need to focus more on quality food in reasonable portions.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Steve, so sorry to hear that things are not going smoothly for you and your wife. She is probably still so overwhelmed with what is happening to her, feels
    that everyone is pressuring her, and struggling with her loss of independence and control of her life. And not feeling well and in pain on top of it. And as her caregiver, even with your best intentions to help her, it hits you too. I hope you are continuing to talk to a therapist, and yes, please vent to all of us here, we will listen, and we care!
  • adityashivshaktiman
    Options
    Hello all. I am 65 and just getting ready to roll. I've been using MFP for two decades/on and off. is nice. looking at getting to 80 kilos from 96. doing walking now. will start resistance bands for toning up. cheers to all!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    Checking in on the cancer front.

Things are not going well here. My wife is resisting going for her treatment today. When I told her, "You need the treatment to get better", she said, "Let's get real. I'm not going to get better." 😢☹

I'm worried that she is just going to give up. I think she is just tired of the constant pain, the loads of medication and clinic visits and the whole regimen. At some point the treatment may seem worse than letting nature take its course. It's hard to watch someone in pain every day.

Thanks for letting me vent here. Needed to express this frustration. You all inspire me to press on regardless.

Thinking of you!
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Steve, I know this journey with cancer is so very difficult. You are so strong. My prayers are with you and your wife.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175
    So sorry for what your wife and family are going through. You can't make anyone do anything. You can only be there to encourage and support her. As others have said, feel free to vent anytime.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    steelrod1 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon all.

Just hanging out today. Got my cardio in spite the drizzle, prepping dinner and enjoying football. What's ya'll doing.

Same here. Watching the MLB wild card race along with the football games. While "trying" to do some household chores. 😆

Mariners are hanging in there. Which pleases my husband. ❤️

And then the Mariners went all Mariners on us. So close. Just teasing us. There's always next year. Before 2004, I would tell my sons, "There's enough heartache in the world without being a a Red Sox fan." Now they have turned that around on me. HAHA! 😆

Yup. “All Mariners on us”
    My son likes the team, though. He was very pleased with how well they performed this year, considering how young they are.
    He does have high hopes for next year.

Now, the Seahawks…. Yeesh. The game started out so well. .

Russel Wilson’s injury is going to hurt for weeks.

It’s rough being a fan of Seattle teams.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Checking in on the cancer front.

Things are not going well here. My wife is resisting going for her treatment today. When I told her, "You need the treatment to get better", she said, "Let's get real. I'm not going to get better." 😢☹

I'm worried that she is just going to give up. I think she is just tired of the constant pain, the loads of medication and clinic visits and the whole regimen. At some point the treatment may seem worse than letting nature take its course. It's hard to watch someone in pain every day.

Thanks for letting me vent here. Needed to express this frustration. You all inspire me to press on regardless.
    Being the 24/7 caregiver for a loved one is really rough.
    But you’re doing your best. It shows.
    And really, your best is all you can do. After that what happens is not up to you.

I am sorry you’re going through it. I truly am.

💐💐💐
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I don’t post often on this thread often, but I’ve been wanting to say…

@alteredsteve175 You, your wife, and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. ❤️

And, also…
    @vsjohnso112459 I’m not really one for cravings, but I do seem to notice that if I don’t eat sweets for a few days, the desire for them fades. I have read other comments on mfp that indicate that this might not be specific to me. Of course, you have to get past those first few days.
  • steelrod1
    steelrod1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    nsadams79 wrote: »
    I used MFP about a decade ago and was having success with it because I had a group that was very encouraging and I loved seeing what everyone else was eating and the exercise they were doing. It inspired me. BUT since then I have been through divorce, children both moved out and married, sold my house and moved, have a new job that is work-at-home/in a chair in front of a computer and stressful at times/fun at times. I have a great group of encouraging fellow teachers I work with. However, I am at my HEAVIEST ever and am now worried that at my age it is going to soon impact my health in some pretty bad ways. I can do this but I need encouragement.

Ok then lets gets this going. I've rejoined myself a few weeks back after a diabetes diagnosis. I find logging my food, and making myself talk daily walks helps. There are tons of people that are great. Get moving, every day. Get up early or go to bed late. What ever it takes. You can do this, we're here to help but you gotta try.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    I used MFP about a decade ago and was having success with it because I had a group that was very encouraging and I loved seeing what everyone else was eating and the exercise they were doing. It inspired me. BUT since then I have been through divorce, children both moved out and married, sold my house and moved, have a new job that is work-at-home/in a chair in front of a computer and stressful at times/fun at times. I have a great group of encouraging fellow teachers I work with. However, I am at my HEAVIEST ever and am now worried that at my age it is going to soon impact my health in some pretty bad ways. I can do this but I need encouragement.

Would a treadmill desk be something that might work for you?
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Hello, I need to lose 40+ lbs. and very limited in physical abilities to exercise due to an illness. I have a sweet tooth, and can't get rid of that ... plus, I eat too late at night, I need motivation and support to begin my weight loss journey. Thanks Much for listening and any assistance that you are willing to provide. :)

nf8ieiyvslpz.jpeg

There is a group here specifically for disabled people who are working on weight management issues. Come and join us!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/141248-disability-fitness-and-weight-management-we-are-here-we-can-do-this

It is small, but growing.
  • SharGetsHealthy
    SharGetsHealthy Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 64 and need to lose about 25-30 lbs. Located on an island on the west coast of Canada.
    I think I eat fairly healthy, walk quite a bit and do yoga. I have hand weights, but haven't done much with them lately. I'm going to start adding them into a routine. Looking forward to giving and getting support here.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Hello, I need to lose 40+ lbs. and very limited in physical abilities to exercise due to an illness. I have a sweet tooth, and can't get rid of that ... plus, I eat too late at night, I need motivation and support to begin my weight loss journey. Thanks Much for listening and any assistance that you are willing to provide. :)

A couple of strategies that might help you.

1) You don't need to exercise to lose weight. You will need to log your food and get the intake in sync with your daily calorie needs. Exercise is beneficial for you in lots of ways, but people can and do lose weight without it.

2) Regarding eating late at night - I do that, too. Still do it too often. Intermittent fasting helped me. I used an 8 hour window from 2 pm to 10 pm. It was difficult for me to overeat in that 8 hour window.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options

Wow, you've really been through a lot: Empathy!

This thread you're in now is great, but you might also enjoy some of the challenges over in the relevant part of the Community:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

There's a huge range of options there, each with a different "culture" or "personality", but they can be a good way to get support and find motivation. One can read their intro post, get an idea which might be most useful to you personally.

Wishing you - and all the new and continuing folks here - great success!