60 yrs and up

Replies

• kind_woman
    kind_woman Posts: 11 Member
    I am a returning MFP member. I retired last July at age 70. I need help focusing on my health including losing about 100 lbs. I'm looking forward to connecting with others my age and helping each other.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    @Timberlan127 Just realized I misspelled your user name in the above post. Sorry. Also, I wanted to ask you, have you tried water aerobics? It's wonderful for people with joint problems. It feels so good. I started taking it about 20 yrs ago when I was having some hip problems. I take the ones that are faster paced. High intensity but low impact. I started back again this week and my vertigo issue is actually less in the water than on land. I didn't go for 2 years because of covid. Then went a couple months last fall then stopped again when I got the labyrinthitis (inner ear) which caused my vertigo.

When I was actively losing (I lost 90 pounds) I was going to a deep water running class 2 or 3 times a week. I loved it because you could make it as easy or difficult as you wished, so as my fitness improved I could up the intensity. I also stopped during COVID but went a couple of weeks ago and remembered why I enjoyed it so much!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @Timberlan127 Yes, Yes Yes! Love my water classes! I'm trying to keep walking (on land) as well because I know it will help me with bone density. I'm borderline with osteoporosis. Strength training also helps but I haven't started doing that yet.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Welcome @kind_woman ... I hope you find a happy spot here on the message boards and that you are successful in your quest.
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    @Timberlan127 Just realized I misspelled your user name in the above post. Sorry. Also, I wanted to ask you, have you tried water aerobics? It's wonderful for people with joint problems. It feels so good. I started taking it about 20 yrs ago when I was having some hip problems. I take the ones that are faster paced. High intensity but low impact. I started back again this week and my vertigo issue is actually less in the water than on land. I didn't go for 2 years because of covid. Then went a couple months last fall then stopped again when I got the labyrinthitis (inner ear) which caused my vertigo.

Pdc654 I agree we can do this. We will stick to it and get there one step at a time. I have never done water aerobics. I would love to try it but haven't been able to find anything close to me. Along with it being easier on my knees I know I would enjoy it. Thank you for the recommendation. I look periodically to see if anything new is added but so far I haven't found anything. So I do the elliptical most days. At least that is not jarring on my knees. The more weight I can get off the better the knees will be. So I just have to keep at it and stick with a healthy diet.
  • Pdc654
    @Timberlan127 Yes, I agree about losing weight ...and just moving more will help. When I first started, I was very sedentary. Pretty much sat on my butt during the covid years with little exercise. I have a couple compressed disks in my lower back and just walking was very painful. As I lost weight and started intentionally walking more, I found the pain got less and less. Instead of waking up every morning with a stiff painful back, I am having fewer and fewer episodes. My walking has increased from an excruciating 5 minutes to two 30 minute sessions a day. And hardly any pain now. I know that may or may not be the case with your knees, but keep up with the gentle effort. It would be so wonderful if you could find a water aerobics class. I hope you get some classes in your area soon. If not, maybe you could find a pool and just walk back and forth. That also helps a lot.
  • Pdc654
    @ ridiculous59 I accidentally tagged Timberlan in the post above. It was actually for you as a response to your post about deep water running class.
  • clarity8796
    clarity8796 Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 2022
    Long time reader, first time poster.

I’ve been on MFP since 2014, with ebbs and flows in my participation. Steadily here for the last couple of years.

I’m 60, and have had a couple of health scares. I identify much more closely with a sloth than with anything athletic.

I’ve lost around 46 lbs during the plague. I have around 40 to go, give or take. I am not as concerned with the number on the scale as I am percentage of body fat.

I have been stuck at my current weight for 7 months. I have also been dealing with a stressful situation for 7 months. I’m inclined to think that the two things are related. 😉 I’m also just happy that I am maintaining what I have lost instead of regaining. I’ll take all the wins that I can get.

I am already friends with some of you, and thank you again for inspiring me! If we aren’t friends and you would like to be, feel free to add me.
  • kind_woman
    kind_woman Posts: 11 Member
    I, too, am impressed that you have maintained your weight loss. When I weighed this morning and found I had gained back the few pounds I had recently lost, I reminded myself that I was 20 lbs heavier at some point. The last 10 years is kind of a blur to be honest.
    I am also hoping to make friends and inspire and be inspired. I've been here before and that's okay.
  • Timberlan127
    @Timberlan127 Yes, Yes Yes! Love my water classes! I'm trying to keep walking (on land) as well because I know it will help me with bone density. I'm borderline with osteoporosis. Strength training also helps but I haven't started doing that yet.

I am also borderline with osteoporosis. And for some reason I haven't tackled the strength training either. I keep thinking that I need to do that to strengthen my bones but somehow I never seem to make the effort. I'm thinking with the warm weather coming I will look into a place where I could walk in the water. It won't be the same as water aerobics but it would help.
  • Timberlan127
    kind_woman wrote: »
    I, too, am impressed that you have maintained your weight loss. When I weighed this morning and found I had gained back the few pounds I had recently lost, I reminded myself that I was 20 lbs heavier at some point. The last 10 years is kind of a blur to be honest.
    I am also hoping to make friends and inspire and be inspired. I've been here before and that's okay.

It is so much harder to lose the weight as we get older. I am a yoyo dieter. I use to be able to lose the weight quickly after I put it on but now every pound is a struggle. I am finding though that if I get my 25 grams of protein each meal I'm not as hungry and I am slowly losing the weight. Hang in there. You can do this. This is a great group for support.
  • Timberlan127

Pdc654 I agree we can do this. We will stick to it and get there one step at a time. I have never done water aerobics. I would love to try it but haven't been able to find anything close to me. Along with it being easier on my knees I know I would enjoy it. Thank you for the recommendation. I look periodically to see if anything new is added but so far I haven't found anything. So I do the elliptical most days. At least that is not jarring on my knees. The more weight I can get off the better the knees will be. So I just have to keep at it and stick with a healthy diet.

Maybe phone the local pools and speak to someone about starting a water class? If enough people are interested perhaps they'll eventually offer one. A woman that I see at my pool just walks back and forth in the shallow end. It's part of her physical therapy and she does it several times a week. I'd find that very boring, but I guess it's no worse than walking or running on a treadmill (which I loathe LOL).

On another topic.....My two dogs (a Golden Retriever and a Border Collie) recently had their annual vet appointments. The vet praised them for their great body condition and muscle tone. I actually needed to hear that because I know that a big part of the reason the dogs are in such great shape is because I'm out walking or hiking, and in the winter months skiing or snowshoeing, with them every single day. It was a reminder that even though I'm struggling with my eating at the moment, at least the exercise part of my life in on track so I shouldn't get too down on myself.

Dogs are a great incentive to keep active. I have two Australian Terriers. So usually I walk three or four times a day to get them out. I think it is why despite my weight I have been lucky enough to avoid a lot of health problems. But at 72 I realize I have to be more careful and get the weight off and keep it off if I want to stay healthy.
  • Timberlan127
    ridiculuos59 Thank you for the water aerobics suggestion. I will do some calling around and ask about that. Maybe if they realize that someone is interested they will think about offering a class.
  • Pdc654
    @Timberlan127 I had started trying to do a little strength training using kettlebells right before the vertigo. Just a few basic moves once or twice a week. Since then I have been nervous about it. While I am so much improved I still feel a little "off". Don't have a spinning room anymore just off a little. Like slightly off balance but you wouldn't know it to see me walking...I can walk straight and don't get dizzy anymore. The feeling disappears in the pool. Kinda like the water pressure is taking over for the imbalance in my inner ear and the "off" feeling goes away. So I'm worried about weight lifting. Just need to try it and see how I do.

Re yo-yo dieting. Me too. @AnnPT77 posted a link upthread here to a different thread on yoyo dieting. Really good information there.

Water walking: If you do go to the pool to do some water walking it will be less boring if you change it up. Walk forwards, backwards, side to side, run if you can, hop, just change it up a lot. I think @ridiculous59 has a great idea about calling around to see if they can start a water aerobics class! Currently I'm taking classes at the YMCA.
  • Sistersue3285
    Sistersue3285 Posts: 107 Member
    Looking forward to getting out more now that the weather is nicer. My husband ordered me an ebike for Mother's day and hope it will be here by the weekend. I love biking but have bad knees so can't wait to try it out.
    Will update you on how it goes.
    Have a great week everyone
  • Pdc654
    Our Y also has a lazy river. Starting May 31 our water classes go outside. We will have many classes that use the lazy river. We walk, run, go backwards, sideways, and reverse and go against the current. So much fun and everyone can go at their own pace.