Debating going Keto

Replies

• Smacfit_
    Smacfit_ Posts: 101 Member
    hclay25 wrote: »
    I’ve just read lots of people having success over it. That’s the only reason I would consider it. I don’t have any medical issues or reasons to try it really.

You definitely get results with it. But once you go back to your regular eating habits you will gain it all back. I would do IIFYM instead (google it). I did keto for a month and was miserable. I really enjoy carbs. My current plan allows me 150g!!! Keto was like 50 or something. I lost 6lbs in a month (I'm small so this is a lot) and gained back 6 plus 2 lol.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I’ve been considering a Keto diet and wonder what other people think. I just don’t know if I can do it for longevity. Any comments would be appreciated.

If that way of eating does not appeal to you, then it's probably not a good choice for you even if other people have success with it. They are successful because it works for them, and would likely be unsuccessful with another approach that does not.

Please do not worry about "longevity" when looking at a way of eating. The tools for managing weight center around controlling your intake, and if you have those tools, you can apply them to many different ways of eating. Very few people eat the same way over the long term, as our diets can change with our circumstances. Focus on what's working now and the tools that are helping you get there. With diets like keto, the tool isn't the type of food or carb count, it's eating foods you like and enjoy and eliminating or limiting foods you don't really care about or which can cause you to overeat. You can do that regardless of what way of eating you choose.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    I’ve just read lots of people having success over it. That’s the only reason I would consider it. I don’t have any medical issues or reasons to try it really.

Is this because you are not feeling successful with your current plan/way of eating?

Remember - you have also read TONS Of stories of people who have successfully lost weight WITHOUT doing KETO we just don't all post the name our methods ;)

If you don't have a medical reason and don't plan to stick to it long term i don't see the point of these fad diets.

This doesn't mean you can't try keto meals and snacks.
  • arialb122
    arialb122 Posts: 34 Member
    I've been keto for a year. I've lost 129 lbs so far. It's not just about losing weight on keto. You lose the inflammation due to the processed foods. You gain a clear cognitive mind, more energy, overall improvement in the way you feel. I'm strict keto meaning ingredients are the most important thing. I have not missed out or felt deprived of any food.

Also the way of eating is not hard or complicated. I thought that at first too, but quickly learned it's is pretty simple. Bottom line for me I will never go back to a western diet. I will stay keto going forward.

for you it may have done that, for me it caused me inflammation(I have RA), I was lethargic and my mind was awful .my short term memory went to hell and I never had an issue before and dont now. I was on it 2 months and it wasnt keto flu because I did research and made sure to prevent the keto flu before I started. my health was literally going down the drain and I was very close to having hubby take me to the ER because I felt like my body was shutting down. he told me I needed to stop keto and see what happens, I did and things improved again and went back to normal(well what is normal for me) I lost no more weight on keto than any other way of eating.

weight loss in and of itself can cause an improvement in health issues as well. I also eat processed foods and they do not cause me any inflammation at all ,not even my RA

That's so interesting! I have RA and have had significant improvement with my RA. It's amazing how different bodies are.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    You might be interested in the discussion on this current thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10701339/keto-diet-good-or-bad/p1
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    All diets work or don't work based on 1 singular factor - Do they (you) create and maintain a calorie deficit. Period. End of debate.

If a diet helps you create a calorie deficit, then it will work. If it doesn't, then it won't.
    If a diet helps you maintain a calorie deficit, and is sustainable over a relatively long period of time, then it's worth doing. If it doesn't/isn't, then it's not.

100%