Keto Diet

Options
Hi I have decided to change my eating habits and would like to follow the keto diet. If anyone has any tip and advice I would very much welcome them. Thanks

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    There's a low carb group that is probably a good place to start...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/ketofriendlyrecipes/videos/290111131575059/UzpfSTQ4OTE5ODIzNzgyODQxODoyMDI4MTI4MDkwNjAyMDg0/ I'm presently at the beginning of this hour-long video and have no information other than to say that I am a new fan of Dr. Bosworth.
  • erinlane93
    erinlane93 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hey, I’m on week two of keto xx
  • thawks693
    thawks693 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Keto since September with a little break for the holiday (hi, still human!) I think the biggest thing that has helped me is to learn to love cooking again. This has helped me to realize that meal prepping and pushing through cravings doesn’t haven’t to be hard/frustrating. I also think taking the time to do research helped me a lot. I don’t think this is something you can just jump in to. You’ve got this! Just be patient!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @vickyandjohn the first requirement for keto to happen is to get your daily carbs down to 50 grams or less. That took me a while because more things had carbs than I realized but I learned and have been keto since Oct 2014 with much health improvements now at the age of 68. One surprise that has happened over the last couple years is seeing some reversal of my Ankylosing Spondylitis that I have been living with for the past 40 years. Best of success in finding the Way Of Eating that works best for you. There is nothing magical about Keto for most people so if another WOE winds up working out better for you so be it.
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm following keto too. dietdoctor.com is my favorite place to go.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Here are my keto recommendations:

1. Set up your height, weight and goals into the MFP app. and log your food daily to track your intake; If you've never tracked your intake, a food scale is your best friend/necessity.
    2. You can also use the app to plan your day.
    3. Target 50g or less of net carbohydrates (Net = Total - Fiber).
    4. Get enough protein, at least 0.8g per lb. of your lean body weight.
    5. Fill in the remainder of your calorie goal with protein and fat as you like.
    6. Get enough sodium (~3000mg to 5000mg daily).
    7. Track your calories using the MFP app.; make sure that if your appetite drops drastically that you are still eating enough calories (1200 cal/day for females, 1500 cal/day for males) and OTOH that you are not overeating either.
    8. Remember that nutrition still matters, try to get the predominate portion of your intake from delicious whole foods/home cooked meals/quality restaurant meals.
    9. Remember treats help; this shouldn't be drudgery, if it is your doin' it wrong.
    10. The amount of carbohydrates can be increased if you exercise or are especially active without adversely affecting you; remember this when you want to have rice or pasta with your meal.
    11. Consider joining a group and meeting new friends: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum and/or https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    12. Avoid silly supplements (exogenous ketones, etc.); they are not necessary and mostly just reduce the weight of your wallet.
    13. Remember that with keto, as with other diets, weight loss isn't linear; you will experience rapid loss at the beginning, more gradual loss thereafter, and likely plateaus and "whooshes".
    14. Check out different keto protocols (SKD, standard keto diet, CKD, cyclical keto diet, etc.)
    15. Read up on the science behind keto diets and how they work in Lyle McDonald, "The Ketogenic Diet".

Best wishes for success!
    -S